E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Week old CPO paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hey Guys, brand new here but have lurked for awhile, lots of good info that helped with my recent (a week ago) purchase of a CPO 07 550i. Thanks!

I really like the car but when I was giving it some love today I found a few paint issues that concern me. It's a three year old car with 40K miles so I don't expect absolute perfection but I wasn't expecting what I found. I did look long and hard at it before buying but I didn't catch these issues. In the back of my head I was thinking "this is a CPO so it must be in good shape".

This shot is of the A pillar where I noticed there was something on the windshield gasket and decided to pick it off. That's when I realized it was clear coat overspray.

Week old CPO paint issues-apillarclear.jpg

This shot is of the area under the passenger side mirror. Also in this shot are what seem like little dimples in the clear coat. There are a number of them on the passenger side but you only catch them at certain angles.

Week old CPO paint issues-undermirror.jpg

So I guess I have 2 questions. What should I do, any recourse? What is involved in fixing it? Ran it past my pops and he figures it is what is and to move on. To fix it I am guessing I would at least need to get the clear coat resprayed but have not idea what that would cost or if I can get away with only doing that.

On the plus side the issues don't jump out at you, have to tell people to look for something for them to see it. But obsessed with it now that I know it is there.

Week old CPO paint issues-sideview.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Week old CPO paint issues-frontangle.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

like you said, it is what it is. dont sweat it. i bought a 97 m3 long ago, and realized the car was re-cleared. i still see that car today, and it looks great.

maybe you can just detail or wetsand/buff the rough areas. as for the rubber, just cut the edge straight so it aint as visible.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

You at least could go back to the dealer and see if he's willing to correct the problems.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Contributors

The CPO Process includes itemization of paint and bodywork defects and any correction. The paint issues on an "07" CPO are even more troubling and indicate probable body-work (accident related or other). Was that repair noted to you at the time of sale?

In my opinion, this paint defect should be corrected by the selling dealer and you should ask for a copy of the CPO check list to determine what other errors or omissions occur!!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='1034575' date='Oct 17 2009, 06:15 AM
You at least could go back to the dealer and see if he's willing to correct the problems.

CPO means a few panels may still have been repainted. The repaint should be up to BMW standards, though. I'd check the carfax and then return to the dealer. If it was wrecked and they had told you that it was not, then you have real issues. If the carfax is clean, I'd make them correct the paint to BMW standards.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Members

I looked at the CPO vehicle inspection report and it said one of the back doors was dented. We looked but could not find anything, there is a small door ding on the passanger front door, so we assumed that was what they meant. Other than that the report is clean. I ran a carfax and they gave me one with the car but nothing shows. There was no disclosure of any prior accident or paint work.

Unfortunately the dealer is a couple hours away so I will probably call before showing up. Who do you think is the best person to talk to? The guy who sold it to me?

If I get to the point of discussing corrective actions with them what should I be looking for?
Old 10-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by cmartin93' post='1034623' date='Oct 17 2009, 11:29 AM
I looked at the CPO vehicle inspection report and it said one of the back doors was dented. We looked but could not find anything, there is a small door ding on the passanger front door, so we assumed that was what they meant. Other than that the report is clean. I ran a carfax and they gave me one with the car but nothing shows. There was no disclosure of any prior accident or paint work.

Unfortunately the dealer is a couple hours away so I will probably call before showing up. Who do you think is the best person to talk to? The guy who sold it to me?

If I get to the point of discussing corrective actions with them what should I be looking for?
You should be looking for them to 1) admit they re-painted the panel, 2) to re-paint it or buff it to a high quality, barely noticeable job. G/L
Old 10-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Members

Heading up to the dealer on Monday. After a not so reassuring conversation with the salesman, I was was referred to the sales manager. Five messages and 4 days later he finally got back to me. Basically told him I expected more from the CPO process and he said to come up so they could take a look.

I can turn a wrench but I am not that familiar with body/paint work. Assuming they offer to rectify the issue, I am guessing there are two things that might happen.
1. they will try and "buff" it out
2. they will strip (sand) and re-clear the areas in question.
With option 1 I would be worried that the buffing would create a noticeable difference in the texture of the finish when compared to the original paint. They will need to remove a good amount of clear coat to get rid of the dimples. Option 2 seems preferable assuming they do a better job that what is there currently.

Any thoughts or suggestions out there.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Members

Just got back from the dealer. They are going to redo the paint on passenger side. I was prepared to do battle but I have to say they were pleasant and quick to agree the best course of action was to repaint the areas with issues. Pretty happy at this point and will be very happy when I pick it up and everything looks good.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by cmartin93' post='1040816' date='Oct 26 2009, 01:47 PM
Just got back from the dealer. They are going to redo the paint on passenger side. I was prepared to do battle but I have to say they were pleasant and quick to agree the best course of action was to repaint the areas with issues. Pretty happy at this point and will be very happy when I pick it up and everything looks good.

Congrats on the quick and pleasant outcome. Let's hope the paint comes out to your liking this time.

Quick Reply: Week old CPO paint issues