E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weak backup lights, any fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I'm interested in this too. I now use my brakelight to keep thing lit up when backing up slowly..
Old 12-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Its dark but the backup lights don't stay on unless your in the car. I have an SMG but if you put the car in reverse and get out of the car, you get a warning on the dash and the lights go out.
My wife gets home in an hour and as possessed as she thinks I am with my car and this board, I think she'll help our cause.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Dec 27 2004, 08:02 PM
To answer some of the previous questions about draw and watts. Since the volts are constant 12v +/- the watts, 16w verses 50w does equate to three times the draw. Other than the car recognizing the difference, the higher wattage would generate three times the heat, assuming the same technology bulb is used- (ie incandesent, halogen, xenon). Higher heat can melt the bulb socket, melt the rear lense, or blow a fuse.
My Google research found some reference to four sockets but only two bulbs for the backup lights, however the other two sockets were not wired. If my Eurolite Xenons don't make it appreciably brighter then I might try some soldering.
[snapback]72943[/snapback]
While I'm waiting for the wife, did you see how big the car battery is. Its at least twice as big as a normal car battery. Also the US cars do not have 4 sockets just 2, one on each side.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Dec 29 2004, 05:06 PM
Its dark but the backup lights don't stay on unless your in the car. I have an SMG but if you put the car in reverse and get out of the car, you get a warning on the dash and the lights go out.
[snapback]73516[/snapback]
Not only do the lights go out, the car switches back to neutral if you get out! Same thing if you leave it in drive.

Did you try putting it in reverse but without the engine running? (Just the key in postition 2?)
Old 12-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Dec 29 2004, 05:45 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Dec 29 2004, 05:06 PM']Its dark but the backup lights don't stay on unless your in the car. I have an SMG but if you put the car in reverse and get out of the car, you get a warning on the dash and the lights go out.
[snapback]73516[/snapback]
Not only do the lights go out, the car switches back to neutral if you get out! Same thing if you leave it in drive.

Did you try putting it in reverse but without the engine running? (Just the key in postition 2?)
[snapback]73540[/snapback]
[/quote]
That would save having to ask the wife. I'll be right back.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Rudy, key position 2 worked. I put one Xenon bulb in on one side and left the standard buld on the other. There is a difference but not big enough to be able to see by photos. The Eurolite light is much whiter vs the OEM being more yellowish. It looks brighter as well which is evidenced by a larger footprint of light behind the car.
I like them and for twenty five bucks, there is a noticable improvement.
Remember these bulbs are small and 16-18watts so its not as dramatic as Xenon headlights vs. standard headlights.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Dec 29 2004, 03:05 PM
Rudy, key position 2 worked. I put one Xenon bulb in on one side and left the standard buld on the other. There is a difference but not big enough to be able to see by photos. The Eurolite light is much whiter vs the OEM being more yellowish. It looks brighter as well which is evidenced by a larger footprint of light behind the car.
I like them and for twenty five bucks, there is a noticable improvement.
Remember these bulbs are small and 16-18watts so its not as dramatic as Xenon headlights vs. standard headlights.
[snapback]73548[/snapback]

So how much do they help when backing up? Would you think therer would be noticable difference with tints backing up? I'm going to have tinted windows soon and wondering if it would be worth the effort.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Contributors

I can't really see anything with the stock bulbs when backing up, maybe with the snow and salt recently here in NY I just noticed the deficiency more. I can see noticably better with the xenons, I am really only worried about curbs when parallel parking.
If you tint the windows I think you will lose the benefit of the xenon lights.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Dec 29 2004, 04:58 PM
If you tint the windows I think you will lose the benefit of the xenon lights.
[snapback]73592[/snapback]

Oh so you're saying forget it for me right? I shouldnt spend the $25 on the bulbs but on somthing else instead.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Dec 29 2004, 08:01 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Dec 29 2004, 04:58 PM']If you tint the windows I think you will lose the benefit of the xenon lights.
[snapback]73592[/snapback]

Oh so you're saying forget it for me right? I shouldnt spend the $25 on the bulbs but on somthing else instead.
[snapback]73594[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm easy. I bought the rear red reflectors, the poplar wood panel for the rear console, the emergency triangle for the toolkit and now these backup lights. They are a real improvement and they are easy to install. Get 'em.

Quick Reply: Weak backup lights, any fixes?