E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water water everywhere and not a drop you'ld drink

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530xi. Silver Gray Metalllic Cold Weather Package, Steptronic, Dark Poplar Wood trim, Xenon Headlights - Adaptive, Navigation, BMW Assist w/Bluetooth, Premium Package. Smokers Package

So I just got my car back from the dealer (06 530xi) After months of complaining about a musty/moldy smell in the car. First trip I was told it was AC drain lines which were clogged and then drained into my vehicle drivers side footwell. $250 later they were cleared car was cleaned and returned to me etc. One month later the smell is back (it was like that episode of Seinfeld where the BO wouldn't leave his 7 series). Brought the car back and was told that the tail light were leaking and allowing water into the trunk. Covered under warranty, car was cleaned and retuned. Seemed like everything was OK. and it was for a short time. That's right the smell came back. This time water was leaking in from the passenger rear quarter panel into the trunk shorting out a module which controls my satellite radio. 2 weeks later I got my car back, water problem supposedly resolved. Waited another two weeks for the module to come in. Guess. what? Go ahead guess...... that's right a month later the smell was back. This time it was apparently entering from the sunroof. leaking under the rear seats and into the footwells. I insisted on "visiting" my car when the interior was completely removed so that I can witness for myself the repairs. I got a call from the dealer who had stripped a good bit of the interior of my car (seats, carpets etc) We found puddles of water as well a mold under the rear seat bottom cushion. Sunroof leak has been repaired. Seat cushion replaced as well as padding and carpet to remove mold from the vehicle. It's been about a month now and guess what NO SMELL. I think they finally got it right. After 4 attempts. My understanding in speaking with the tech is that this is a somewhat common issue on the '06's.

But I still love driving my car. Now it doesn't smell....imagine that.