E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water hydorlock

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water hydorlock-air-intake-bmw.jpg
I have a 5 series and was in a shopping center mall parking lot following other cars through a puddle that was 3"-6" and the car stalled. It started up and i parked it and went shopping then came out later and it would not start. I had a passerby try to jump start it and it started then died. I had it towed to the BMW dealer and was told it had sucked water into the air intake and was hydorlocked and the engine would have to be replaced estimate $16,000. I was shocked! Even more shocked when I found that the air intake is located almost on the ground in the front of the car. BMW say it has no responsibility and I must pay for all of the repairs. I see this as a flaw in the design of this vehicle and the manual also states Page 125 of my manual, under the Driving Tips section... "Do not drive through water on the road if it is deeper than 1 ft/30 cm, and then only at walking speed at the most. Otherwise, the vehicle's engine, the electrical systems and the transmission may be damaged." One Foot yet the intake is located on the bottom as shown on my attachment. I also have located others who have had this same problem many times yet BMW keeps saying it is not a warranty problem. This is defiantly a design problem. I do not know where to turn now any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I don't think that the correct picture for a 5 series intake ... what model you have? AFAIK the intake opening is right behind the driver side headlight.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
I don't think that the correct picture for a 5 series intake ... what model you have? AFAIK the intake opening is right behind the driver side headlight.
+1 Besides, I suspect the puddle was deeper than the 3-6" claimed. Also, if you look around most modern cars have their intakes as low and outboard as possible to pass cold air into the intake. It is not just BMW, it is Honda Toyota, Nissan, et al.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Wow is this the second hydro locked BMW in as many days? Crazy. GL brotha!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

That is the air intake of a E9X ///M3. The E60 does not have the ram air duct on the driverside bumper.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
+1 Besides, I suspect the puddle was deeper than the 3-6" claimed. Also, if you look around most modern cars have their intakes as low and outboard as possible to pass cold air into the intake. It is not just BMW, it is Honda Toyota, Nissan, et al.

Now how did I know some DICK HEAD with no solution would respond disputing the depth of the puddle!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Rickbcnu
Now how did I know some DICK HEAD with no solution would respond disputing the depth of the puddle!
Congratulations on your 2nd post.

Next time post the correct engine diagram for the 5 series [E60]
before your start calling members D*CK H**Ds.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rickbcnu
Hmm, post the pic of the wrong intake and I'm the dick head?!?!?!
My car still runs buddy, I try to avoid driving into lakes
Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by pjinca
Hmm, post the pic of the wrong intake and I'm the dick head?!?!?!
My car still runs buddy, I try to avoid driving into lakes
Who in their right mind would drive through the 6+ inches of water,
Come'n now it's not an X5
Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva
Who in their right mind would drive through the 6+ inches of water,
Come'n now it's not an X5

You know Frank, I was wondering the same thing. When I was researching my car prior to purchase I went on Edmunds.com to see all the owner reviews, and the only negative one was an similar moron who complained that "BMW's were a piece of crap because all he did was drive through 15 inches of water and the car stalled"

Quick Reply: Water hydorlock