E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water getting into my E60 through the carpet

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I experience this recently. I notice when it's raining, the water started to accumulated from my driver side to the back of the passenger. I tried to look for any unclose windows or leaking from outside. But it shows nothing wrong. The water accumulating from time to time. It's seems it comes under the carpet. Is there any posibility that the water can come under the car or not? It's really wet until it looks like flooding in the car!

Help! I need professional advise as soon as possible.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by kevincheong' post='595483' date='Jun 4 2008, 01:15 PM
I experience this recently. I notice when it's raining, the water started to accumulated from my driver side to the back of the passenger. I tried to look for any unclose windows or leaking from outside. But it shows nothing wrong. The water accumulating from time to time. It's seems it comes under the carpet. Is there any posibility that the water can come under the car or not? It's really wet until it looks like flooding in the car!

Help! I need professional advise as soon as possible.

I had a similar problem.

The water could be from the sunroof, sometimes water seeps in there and leaks through. The water came up behind the passenger side seat. It was a lot, and it rained so much. I asked my Service advisor to fix it, and he did. I'm not sure what he did though.

Tell ur dealership that this is happening and its most likely the sunroof.

you can test it by opening your sunroof, and pour some water along the track, then u can see if the water goes to your front carpet.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Same exact thing happened to my M3. One of the rain gutters next to the trunk was blocked with leaves and the water poured into the rear floor pan. You couldn't even tell by looking at the outside of the car. The repair wasn't covered under warranty and it took the dealer almost 3 hours to diagnose. I would start by looking there if I were you. If that's it, should be fairly cheap to fix.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='595520' date='Jun 4 2008, 06:55 PM
Same exact thing happened to my M3. One of the rain gutters next to the trunk was blocked with leaves and the water poured into the rear floor pan. You couldn't even tell by looking at the outside of the car. The repair wasn't covered under warranty and it took the dealer almost 3 hours to diagnose. I would start by looking there if I were you. If that's it, should be fairly cheap to fix.
Check all water outlets by cleaning and inspecting every underside of doors and use a hose to find others. It happens to all makes that drainage gets blocked by dirt.

Also - not sure if this is true for the E60 but I was informed that the E39 had the same - if you have had work done to the inside of your doors, this can be a cause. The inside of some doors (volkswagens and apparently the earlier model of the 5 series) have a plastic sheet between the inner lining and the mechanics. Water that flows in through the (worn) window rubbers (where it slides against) goes into the door and should flow out of the drainage. However, sometimes it flows along the plastic cover and when there's a leak there: it overflows into the interior, so over the door sill and under your carpet.

This is just an experience, the sunroof is a well-known culprit too as water from there flows behind all kinds of covers also the the lowest point. That's why sometimes (short period of light rain) you don't even notice it: it's evaporated before it can accumulate under the seats. Again, the hose can do magic to help find unexpected holes. At first put it on 'shower' and let the water drop vertically like rain on a stationary vehicle. Nothing found, then change the direction of the flow a bit and slowly increase pressure (change to a beam). Putting high pressure pinpointed to the rubbers won't help much: that would go through anyway, even if no leak was there in the first place.

good luck, sometimes it's a real puzzle to find out where it came from. One thing for sure: all rain comes from above. Some water can come from below....
Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Had the problem on my 540 and X5, they replaced the seals , took a few days for them to figure it out though ..............good luck
Old 06-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributors

In other cars I have owned, this would happen if the air conditioner drain was detached or plugged.