E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water Damage to Engine With Ethanol Use

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Ethanol becomes a problem when it is not used quickly. If you store gasoline in a container, you should consider using an additive. I posted on this a while back, my ATV's started to run poorly. My Yamaha dealer confirmed that gasoline containing ethanol has become a huge problem for such equipment. Needles and valves on the carbs are being destroyed by the corrosive nature of Ethanol. Same with boats where the gasoline has a tendency to stay in the tank a bit longer.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='373863' date='Jan 5 2007, 06:28 AM
Ethanol becomes a problem when it is not used quickly. If you store gasoline in a container, you should consider using an additive. I posted on this a while back, my ATV's started to run poorly. My Yamaha dealer confirmed that gasoline containing ethanol has become a huge problem for such equipment. Needles and valves on the carbs are being destroyed by the corrosive nature of Ethanol. Same with boats where the gasoline has a tendency to stay in the tank a bit longer.
This is true of MTBE oxygenated or non-oxygenated fuel too. Old, untreated gasoline will act like a varnish on the engine and coat everything including valves. This is not isolated to ethanol fuel. This is why boats, snow throwers, and lawn mowers should always be stored for dormant months without fuel or with treated fuel.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='373863' date='Jan 5 2007, 11:28 AM
Needles and valves on the carbs are being destroyed by the corrosive nature of Ethanol.
Ethanol corrodes what material?

ABC
Old 01-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2007 550i

Originally Posted by vern' post='373708' date='Jan 4 2007, 05:04 PM
Didn't you ever go off subject just a little bit?
cheers
vern
My point wasn't that the previous poster was off topic, but that they were making an impossible recommendation, to go just down the street to get non-additive gas. I actually asked at the Sunoco near me what was going on with the additive. Basically it is by county. In the metropolitan area where I live all gas at every station for a 30+ mile radius around the area will have ethanol. To get untreated gas I would have to drive further away from town. The closest place he could think of was about 15 miles further West from me (and I already live at the far Western end of the metro area).
Old 01-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Locksmythe' post='373923' date='Jan 5 2007, 11:00 AM
My point wasn't that the previous poster was off topic, but that they were making an impossible recommendation, to go just down the street to get non-additive gas. I actually asked at the Sunoco near me what was going on with the additive. Basically it is by county. In the metropolitan area where I live all gas at every station for a 30+ mile radius around the area will have ethanol. To get untreated gas I would have to drive further away from town. The closest place he could think of was about 15 miles further West from me (and I already live at the far Western end of the metro area).
Evidently In my area its different that is why I posted, "down the block", just about all Gulf stations have the 10% ethenol but all the other stations no matter what brand have 0%.
cheers
vern
Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='373132' date='Jan 2 2007, 10:21 PM
I have been reading a number of articles about how ethanol absorbs water at an alarming rate. This is causing engine damage at a record level. This is a large concern for marine and boaters on the water but should this also be the case for our cars that are in such situations?
I wouldn't worry too much about it. First, your car is fairly new so there aren't a lot of old deposits to be loosened by the ethanol. Second, a boat's fuel system and a car's, especially in the emission-conscious US, are much different, cars being tighter with regards to exposure to outside air and systems to burn off fumes, etc. Third, unless you refuel in torrential rain or leave your gas cap off you're never going to get that much water in your system. If the fuel absorbs it and takes it into the engine so much the better - it won't be there in the tank and lines to corrode or freeze. Finally, a little water in the fuel isn't necessarily a bad thing. Supercharged, high power, high octane aircraft engines spray it in to increase power by eliminating detonation (ADI). Recommendation - drive fast and burn lots of fuel.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='374034' date='Jan 5 2007, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. First, your car is fairly new so there aren't a lot of old deposits to be loosened by the ethanol. Second, a boat's fuel system and a car's, especially in the emission-conscious US, are much different, cars being tighter with regards to exposure to outside air and systems to burn off fumes, etc. Third, unless you refuel in torrential rain or leave your gas cap off you're never going to get that much water in your system. If the fuel absorbs it and takes it into the engine so much the better - it won't be there in the tank and lines to corrode or freeze. Finally, a little water in the fuel isn't necessarily a bad thing. Supercharged, high power, high octane aircraft engines spray it in to increase power by eliminating detonation (ADI). Recommendation - drive fast and burn lots of fuel.
If the station that you are using doen't have a filtration system to remove condensation from the gas before it gets to your gas tank and you live in the colder part of the country you could have trouble.Thats why they sell gas line anti freeze to prevent any problems in most cases.
cheers
vern
Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='373863' date='Jan 5 2007, 01:28 PM

Now way that wather has ever done any good for any normal engine!

Racing is a totally differant story!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

The needle valve on the carb was destroyed, not stuck from the varnishing effect of old gasoline.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='373812' date='Jan 5 2007, 01:40 AM
?

ABC
I live near NYC where you have to be skeptical of everything. But the chicks are hot.

Quick Reply: Water Damage to Engine With Ethanol Use