E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water Damage to Engine With Ethanol Use

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by HughH' post='373402' date='Jan 4 2007, 03:44 AM
[snip] The problem is that ethanol is highly corrosive. That was the main problem with marine usage of ethanol. A lot of boats were made with fiberglass gas tanks and ethanol just ate the fiberglass [snip]
Since when is ethanol corrosive - particularly to fiberglass? When's the last time you have seen a vodka bottle being corroded?

Ethanol may cause corrosion/premature wear problems because a) it dissolves fatty molecules (grease) that can protect or lubricate parts and b) because of its very high affinity for water, it's difficult to manufacture and transport water-free ethanol, and water may be corrosive for iron alloys, but ethanol itself does not corrode anything.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='373455' date='Jan 4 2007, 08:47 AM
Since when is ethanol corrosive - particularly to fiberglass? When's the last time you have seen a vodka bottle being corroded?

Ethanol may cause corrosion/premature wear problems because a) it dissolves fatty molecules (grease) that can protect or lubricate parts and b) because of its very high affinity for water, it's difficult to manufacture and transport water-free ethanol, and water may be corrosive for iron alloys, but ethanol itself does not corrode anything.
Hmmm... maybe not corrosion but I wouldn't like to drink vodka that had been kept a fibreglass vessel anyway.

They are particularly worrisome for people with older boats fitted with fibreglass fuel tanks. Introduce ethanol to them, and a chemical reaction produces a black muck. The muck and marine engines do not mix well.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americ...icle1362654.ece

ABC
Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 325i 2007 Lexus G350

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='373455' date='Jan 4 2007, 02:47 AM

Quote in the BusinessWeek article by Ed Wallace:

"More smog, infinitely worse gas mileage, huge problems in distribution, and skyrocketing prices for gasoline. Maybe now that we're witnessing the third act in America's ethanol play, the upcoming epilogue will close this show forever. Even great advertising works only if the product does."

Ed Wallace is a journalist who's been in the auto industry for over 40 yrs. His article is ebtitled
Ethanol: A Tragedy in 3 Acts and can be found here:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...htm?chan=search
Old 01-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Given these fossil-fuel inputs, the greenhouse-gas emissions associated with corn-based ethanol are only about 15 percent lower than those of traditional gasoline.

In contrast, ethanol derived from switch grass results in a 95 percent reduction in greenhouse gases compared to refining and burning gasoline, Fiedler says. The crop requires little to no fertilizer, and switch-grass plowing and management require only relatively low-intensity machinery.
There are always multiple facets to these discussions.

http://www.grist.org/news/muck/2004/...ittle-johanns/

ABC
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='373318' date='Jan 3 2007, 04:58 PM
Ricracing,

Thanks for your opinion. Yesterday I filled my tank with BP fuel that had 10%. Some have as high as 15%.

Why would you fill up with 10% when you can go down the block, so to speak, and fill up with 100% gas and get better MPG ?
cheers
vern
Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2007 550i

Originally Posted by vern' post='373687' date='Jan 4 2007, 03:55 PM
Why would you fill up with 10% when you can go down the block, so to speak, and fill up with 100% gas and get better MPG ?
cheers
vern
Is there a list of sources of 100% gas? Wasn't the point of this discussion that the govt requires the ethanol be added to all gas?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Locksmythe' post='373694' date='Jan 4 2007, 04:26 PM
Is there a list of sources of 100% gas? Wasn't the point of this discussion that the govt requires the ethanol be added to all gas?
Didn't you ever go off subject just a little bit?
cheers
vern
Old 01-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='373318' date='Jan 3 2007, 11:58 PM
Ricracing,

Thanks for your opinion. Yesterday I filled my tank with BP fuel that had 10%. Some have as high as 15%.

For the ignorant comment on the 120% energy needed for production of Ethanol the University of California Berkely performed a study that found that Ethanol is going to be "bad for the environment". You can check it out at

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/release...5_ethanol.shtml

By the way if you were not aware. University of California Berkeley is always had a extremely liberal political view at best. They are no friends of politicians or the middle east oil folks.

Yes Nickolas,

My 120% was only a ruff estimate and my chat english is not good enough for this conv.

Overhere a 5-6% ethanol/gas will be a goal (made of suger plants and imports from Brasil).

But this is a vast problem, ie. in South America they spoil a lot of rain forest and other food
fields to only to make some ethanol with ecologically catastrophical outlets.

I was not aware that the University of California, Berkeley was into this, I really hope that you
guys can give some good ideas for this huge, global problem!

Start overthere with some ideas - maybe China and India will follow...

Kind regards,
Riku
Old 01-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The real problem occurs when greedy gas station owners add water to their gas tanks to increase profits. They probably know how much they can add and still be fully absorbed.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='373772' date='Jan 5 2007, 02:43 AM
The real problem occurs when greedy gas station owners add water to their gas tanks to increase profits. They probably know how much they can add and still be fully absorbed.
?

ABC

Quick Reply: Water Damage to Engine With Ethanol Use