E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water Collected in Underbody Panel (Tranny panel)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
Is collecting water here normal and likely due to the long trip with the AC on? Where are there drains or water lines above the tranny? In looking at the transmission itself, there were many white water evaporation marks on the casing that appeared fresh and surely not normal from a design standpoint. I?ve looked at the tranny a few times before and never notice this.
The solution for removing water collecting in the plastic underbody panels is covered in the Owner's Manual for Advanced Drivers.

You may not have read the section recommending cornering at very high speeds to discharge fluids collecting in the plastic, under-car, shields

Seriously, it's possible the Plastic AC condensate drain is misdirected and instead of dumping it under the car it's running into the plastic shields. AC systems can extract a ton of water - especially on hot humid days. I think if you locate that hose - I think it's somewhere behind the passenger front wheel well - and make sure it isn't dumping water into the belly pan you'll be off and running w/o needing to drill any drain holes in the plastic body shield.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by luigi524td
The solution for removing water collecting in the plastic underbody panels is covered in the Owner's Manual for Advanced Drivers.

You may not have read the section recommending cornering at very high speeds to discharge fluids collecting in the plastic, under-car, shields

Seriously, it's possible the Plastic AC condensate drain is misdirected and instead of dumping it under the car it's running into the plastic shields. AC systems can extract a ton of water - especially on hot humid days. I think if you locate that hose - I think it's somewhere behind the passenger front wheel well - and make sure it isn't dumping water into the belly pan you'll be off and running w/o needing to drill any drain holes in the plastic body shield.
Thanks. Completed the first part of a tranny oil change (5.5 qts) and will be doing another one in 100 or so miles to get over 90% new oil. I'll check for drain line when I remove the pan again.