E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wastegate Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:21 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 LCI 535xi
Default Wastegate Rattle

This is my first post so forgive me. 2008 535XI. I did look into this a lot before hand. When starting the car I have rattling in the cold. I just bought it 3 weeks ago and have a 3 month warranty through the dealer and then a 2 year 24k mile warranty on top of that i bought on the engine because of the turbos. I had BMW check the rattle, it's the wastegates but they decided to do absolutely nothing. Said it's normal wear. The car has 104k miles. Should I push the issue? I know they'll want to do the actuators before replacing everything. I have no codes and my maintenece history only has exhaust turbocharger ATL permanent failure back at 31k and vacuum accumulator for exhaust turbocharger leaking back at 66k. I don't know what those mean though.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:11 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I took my car in for the same problem and they replaced the turbos and the actuators for free as part of an "emissions recall".
Old 12-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by bmwmonkey
I took my car in for the same problem and they replaced the turbos and the actuators for free as part of an "emissions recall".
It's not a emissions recall. BMWNA extended the turbocharger warranty for 8yrs/82k miles due to your car potentially failing emission standards due to wastegate failure.

OP - it doesn't hurt to push the subject a little to see if they would do it. Also with that mileage you might want to look at your vacuum lines since they tend to become brittle and start cracking at that age.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

Took my car in 3 days go for same reason, I'm out of warranty and they are replacing my turbos. SA called me and told me the water pump is cracked (i'm at 50k) also i have a gasket leak and i might as well change the hoses since I'm getting new turbos. 1600 for everything so told them to fucking ahead and do it... hopefully i can drive the car worry free for a loooong time now. Supposedly they hooked me up.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 AM
New Members

Called BMW. "They are not failing just noisy, some get noisy and never fail." He's going to talk to the GM and see what they'll do. Also get with the Zurich warranty I bought and see if they'll cover it. He also said in the past they've had to replace the entire turbo not just do the actuators.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

it depends, I had an actuator replace on mine many years ago and the other one was adjusted. Did you buy the car from BMW? If you did, take it to another dealer and let them assess it and don't tell them that the other place said they were just noisy. Sometimes when they have to pay they are just noisy and when you have to pay they need to be replaced...
Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 AM
New Members

Yea I figured since they have to pay they don't want to. I have a 3 month full coverage warranty with the BMW place I bought it from. I don't know if it works with other BMW's since it's not a BMW warranty. The place is Apple BMW and Apple is covering it. Too many miles on it to get a BMW certified.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Mine rattle a bit if I idle for a while. Sounds like a tin can rattling around. I asked BMW before my bumper to bumper ran out and they said they "just do that" and its "normal". I hadnt worried about it since then until now....should I be worried about turbo failure? Do I need to do anything?
Thanks
Old 12-25-2013, 01:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535 X-Drive | Sport, Premium, Cold, Nav | OEM MTech Kit | MTech V3 3.0 AE | RDash Plate Lights | Interior LED | 6000K Fogs | SAT Retrofit | Continental DWS | Jehnert Speakers | Gloss Vinyl Roof | Custom Ambient Amber Match LED Interior |

I'm starting to hear a slight rattle, very faint, on startup and moderate acceleration. Is this a turbo sound as well or the start of another underlying problem?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:53 PM
New Members

supposedly if you rev it and it rattles when the rpms come down you have a problem. the wastegate can get stuck open which will just make the turbos not work due to no pressure. if it gets stuck closed they over pressure and boom.

Quick Reply: Wastegate Rattle