E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washed my car today

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Jan 2 2005, 09:23 PM
paasan,

-5'C is only 23'F, and that is pretty cold, so I commend you on hand washing your car, but in the midwest, Indy, Ohio, and many other places in the US (north east), it gets even colder than that.? 10'F and even -XX'F, and even if you use warm water outside, the minute you put it on the car, it would freeze up and would be very effective washing outside.? You would essentially have to wash your car inside the garage, and even at very, very low temperatures, unless your garage is heated an well insulated, the air inside your garage could be below freezing as well.

I think someone on this board has a garage with a drain and enough space to wash there car inside the garage...now that is nice.? That would be ideal for me!!!
[snapback]74822[/snapback]
Well Guys, I have a garage that I can heat, and it has a floor drain. After washing a car in the DC area in Winter, using the "Norway" technique, I decided when I built my house 18 years ago that I would have a garage with a floor drain. It cost me a whopping $150 extra when I built the house. One of the best investments that I have made.

I washed my 545i on the 10 degree day that we had two weeks ago in DC.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I hand wash my car.

I live in Florida, so I know nothing of this whole "winter" thing. It almost never gets cold enough to freeze anything.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

subterFUSEyouSUCK!!!

joepoole, nice setup, and at a very low cost...nice. I am in the process of buying a new home, but I'm not building. May be able to see the house in the middle of the build process, so I may get a chance to get a drain installed before completion.

Is there anyway to retrofit a drain to a garage? Sounds expensive (drainage, change of slope, plumbing, etc.).
Old 01-03-2005, 07:02 AM
JDN
Contributors

Nice set up, joepoole. I wash in the garage in cold weather, too, but do not have the floor drain. I get fair drainage anyway and never any standing water. I have to raise the garage door enough to let the hose in and that lets the water out.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:15 AM
TMC
Members

Sad scientific factoid:

hot water freezes quicker than cold - therefore, washing your car in hot water WILL result in quick freezing.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:17 AM
JDN
Contributors

I don't think anyone is using hot water to wash. Anyhoo, how would it freeze in joepoole's heated garage?

Well, in more thorough review, I guess pasaan was, but he, too, had some degree of heat in the garage.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:09 AM
TMC
Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jan 3 2005, 06:17 PM
I don't think anyone is using hot water to wash. Anyhoo, how would it freeze in joepoole's heated garage?

Well, in more thorough review, I guess pasaan was, but he, too, had some degree of heat in the garage.
[snapback]75045[/snapback]
Originally Posted by Aaron
in the midwest, Indy, Ohio, and many other places in the US (north east), it gets even colder than that. 10'F and even -XX'F, and even if you use warm water outside, the minute you put it on the car, it would freeze up
Funnily enough, I didn't think that warm water would freeze in joepoole's heated garage either.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

I'm only telling you what I have done, and what has worked fine with me.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TMC' date='Jan 3 2005, 11:15 AM
Sad scientific factoid:

hot water freezes quicker than cold - therefore, washing your car in hot water WILL result in quick freezing.
[snapback]75025[/snapback]
Not exactly true. The greater the temperature difference between the water and the air the faster it will cool. So, for example, 70 degree water in 20 degree air will cool to 60 faster than it will go from 60 to 50, etc. But it will still take longer for the water originally 70 to freeze than if you started with 50 degree water.

But I agree that washing the car with slush doesn't work well no matter what temperature your water was when you started.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by price9195' date='Jan 3 2005, 01:34 PM
[quote name='TMC' date='Jan 3 2005, 11:15 AM']Sad scientific factoid:

[snapback]75025[/snapback]
Not exactly true. The greater the temperature difference between the water and the air the faster it will cool. So, for example, 70 degree water in 20 degree air will cool to 60 faster than it will go from 60 to 50, etc. But it will still take longer for the water originally 70 to freeze than if you started with 50 degree water.

But I agree that washing the car with slush doesn't work well no matter what temperature your water was when you started.
[snapback]75063[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hot water will freeze quicker than cold in very limited circumstances. It has to do with the rate of evaporation, how hot the water got (was it boiled), convenction, etc. Here is a good link . http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...hot_water.html

Under most conditions, cold will freeze faster.

Quick Reply: Washed my car today