E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

WARRANTY FINISHING!! HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 530XI - Monaco Blue - Stock At The Moment

Hey guys! Thanks for taking a look at my thread and I will desperately appreciate your guys help!!!!

My warranty is finishing next month and I don't think I am going to be extending it as they are asking way to much money and my car only has 45,450kms and hope that there isn't going to be any problems with it anytime soon . Prior to my warranty finishing I asked one of my bud's that works at BMW to take a look at my car for everything that can go wrong and ensure that it's all good. I was just wondering if you guys can help me out by telling me specifics for my mechanic at bmw to look at (ie engine tranny etc). My car is a 2007 BMW 530XI and i'm not sure what the major components are that tend to get screwed up on my car If you guys can offer some insight into that I'd greatly appreciate it!!!!

I need to take the car in this week or next week so I will need you guys to offer up them inputs quick!!!!

Thanks a lot guys!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by trigga05
Hey guys! Thanks for taking a look at my thread and I will desperately appreciate your guys help!!!!
My warranty is finishing next month and I don't think I am going to be extending it as they are asking way to much money and my car only has 45,450kms and hope that there isn't going to be any problems with it anytime soon . Prior to my warranty finishing I asked one of my bud's that works at BMW to take a look at my car for everything that can go wrong and ensure that it's all good. I was just wondering if you guys can help me out by telling me specifics for my mechanic at bmw to look at (ie engine tranny etc). My car is a 2007 BMW 530XI and i'm not sure what the major components are that tend to get screwed up on my car If you guys can offer some insight into that I'd greatly appreciate it!!!!

I need to take the car in this week or next week so I will need you guys to offer up them inputs quick!!!!

Thanks a lot guys!!!
From my personal experience the top items to be sure are @ 100% are:

Transmission (incl any signs of jerking or banging / slams)
Cooling system (tanks, radiator, hoses - no coolant leaks)
Electrical / Electronic (All systems A-OK w/ NO check control alerts)
If you are covered by the BMW Maintenance Agreement are any services due any time soon - see if they'd agree, for example, if there is a flush or change due in 30-60 days or 1-2K miles, to do them while still covered.
Engine (any noises, leaks, etc)
X-Drive Gear / Transfer Case, etc
Old 01-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 530XI - Monaco Blue - Stock At The Moment

thanks man i took note of that on my phone i'm going to ask him to check that! more input welcome!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i,Titanium silver,cold weather package

If I was you I would extend the warranty, or just flat out trade and or sell the car. The reason I feel so strongly about the situation is that I bought my 2004 530i a few years ago with 44000k on it, and the dealer gave me the extend warranty, cool everything was fine. I too thought I was good but when the warranty was over at 25000k later all broke loose, I've been fixing/repairing/ replaceing parts every since. Which now make me think maybe the first owner maybe knew was down the road, and that's why they traded it back in at the end of their first warranty. So I say again, if you don't extend the warranty or trade it in be ready to do costly repairs, because they are sure to come.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Well, I think you should... put your table into an upright position, fasten your seatbelt, brace your knees, put your head between your legs... and kiss your ass good-bye!

I'm kidding. These cars are surprisingly robust. You may want to buy a third party warranty, if you really want to - in which case, you should do your research well, and make sure you're not getting totally screwed. But I'd say, just put a couple of grand aside for "emergencies" and enjoy your car. Make sure you do your preventative care CONSTANTLY - don't let anything lapse. Personally, I'm aiming to get 200k+ miles out of mine (unless I strike gold and can afford two cars soon).

People before me gave you some good pointers, but I'll expand on their posts a little bit below (my comments in green).

Originally Posted by luigi524td
From my personal experience the top items to be sure are @ 100% are:

Transmission (incl any signs of jerking or banging / slams) - VERY important you take care of this, as out of warranty it may become an expensive proposition to have to fix it often.
Cooling system (tanks, radiator, hoses - no coolant leaks) - this is gonna be part of you maintenance. E60's have issues with cooling - as all BMW's, so be ready to pay for these things out of pocket. but preventative care usually eliminates these issues.
Electrical / Electronic (All systems A-OK w/ NO check control alerts) - go to an indie with the right tool and have all the codes read and recorded. then go to the dealer and tell them what to fix based on that.
If you are covered by the BMW Maintenance Agreement are any services due any time soon - see if they'd agree, for example, if there is a flush or change due in 30-60 days or 1-2K miles, to do them while still covered.
Engine (any noises, leaks, etc) - 530 with an N52 engine probably has the ticking issue - do a search, it is out there. there's an SIB for it, get it done for sure!!!!
X-Drive Gear / Transfer Case, etc - these almost never fail, but doesn't hurt to check the error codes and inspect for leaks.

Originally Posted by mos12osut
If I was you I would extend the warranty, or just flat out trade and or sell the car. The reason I feel so strongly about the situation is that I bought my 2004 530i a few years ago with 44000k on it, and the dealer gave me the extend warranty, cool everything was fine. I too thought I was good but when the warranty was over at 25000k later all broke loose, I've been fixing/repairing/ replaceing parts every since. Which now make me think maybe the first owner maybe knew was down the road, and that's why they traded it back in at the end of their first warranty. So I say again, if you don't extend the warranty or trade it in be ready to do costly repairs, because they are sure to come.
I know it sucks to be in this position, but most people don't have a lot of problems. But yes, crap does occasionally hit the fan. Once, I've ended up with some water damage bc a body shop left a window open, while storing the car in their outdoor lot. it happened to have rained while it was there and when I picked it up, it needed the differential module and new servo-motor. but for the most part, these cars are reliable. just more finicky and require more preventative maintenance.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Answer this question:

If you do not own the car outright, would you have a problem paying for repairs AND the monthly note?