E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Want to change out my amber halogens?..How??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 528i XDrive - Alpine White Dakota Black Leather, Premium Package, Dark Burlwood Trim, 20% tint on entire car.

Hi all, cant seem to find exactly what I was looking for on here anywhere so I started a new thread. I have a 2010 528i Xdrive....Come to find out that it doesnt have xenons which i find to almost be hard to believe. Needless to say, Im pissed lol that it doesnt have them as I wanted to change my angel eyes to a bright white etc...Is there anything I can do to change the headlamps and angel eyes to a bright white?...Dont know what to do! Amy help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

I'm in the same boat...thus far I have successfully changed the lowbeams to white (6000K) Xenons via a HID Kit from DDM Tuning. I went for the 35W one because I wanted a more stock look. You can get one of those here.

As far as AE's go...if you haven't noticed...there is no easy upgrade path. You can pay close to 200 dollars to have someone fabricate some for you...or if you're like me you can experiment on your own. My bulbs should come in today so I'm going to try and update my thread with some more info. If you're not the DIY type of guy contact John@motorcepts and he'll supply you with some. OR...you can wait for me...and keep checking my thread for updates here.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 528i XDrive - Alpine White Dakota Black Leather, Premium Package, Dark Burlwood Trim, 20% tint on entire car.

Originally Posted by MORI3L
I'm in the same boat...thus far I have successfully changed the lowbeams to white (6000K) Xenons via a HID Kit from DDM Tuning. I went for the 35W one because I wanted a more stock look. You can get one of those here.

As far as AE's go...if you haven't noticed...there is no easy upgrade path. You can pay close to 200 dollars to have someone fabricate some for you...or if you're like me you can experiment on your own. My bulbs should come in today so I'm going to try and update my thread with some more info. If you're not the DIY type of guy contact John@motorcepts and he'll supply you with some. OR...you can wait for me...and keep checking my thread for updates here.
Cool, sounds good....I find it almost unreal that I have a 2010 E60 and it came with halogen bulbs?....Seems crazy to me. Im so pissed and that just a small thing that I overlooked when i bought the car. Love my car and everything about it, hate the headlights!!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

I made the same mistake...I saw projectors and assumed that they were xenon's

But...its okay...I'm determined to make these things look marvelous!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Members

I made the same mistake...I saw projectors and assumed that they were xenon's

But...its okay...I'm determined to make these things look marvelous!

Keep me posted, I would love to change them out asap like you are doing...Let me know what exactly you did. I dont care really how much it costs, i just want to get it done.....i have a 2010 528 and my wife has an 08 328 and she has xenons!!! BS!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Members

For install xenon on my 530i 2004 i buy this:
Amazon Amazon
works ok!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by earcondo
For install xenon on my 530i 2004 i buy this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details works ok!!!
Don't make the same mistake I did and install whatever generic HID's and try to use error cancelers. I did this and my HIDs had intermittent firing (I had the play with the on/off switch several times to get both sides to fire up so it stopped the flickering but created another problem).

Do it the right way and just get DDM HID's. They're cheap, require no error cancelers (At least for the low beams) and fire up first try every time. Best of all...they have a lifetime warranty.

The ONLY con with DDM HID's are their bulbs...I hate their bulb holders and will always get my bulbs from somewhere else...
Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Don't make the same mistake I did and install whatever generic HID's and try to use error cancelers. I did this and my HIDs had intermittent firing (I had the play with the on/off switch several times to get both sides to fire up so it stopped the flickering but created another problem).

Do it the right way and just get DDM HID's. They're cheap, require no error cancelers (At least for the low beams) and fire up first try every time. Best of all...they have a lifetime warranty.

The ONLY con with DDM HID's are their bulbs...I hate their bulb holders and will always get my bulbs from somewhere else...
I am in the market for HIDs. I looked at these and wondering what are the extras they offer for the DDM kit. Do you need to buy them to make them work (HID harness, error eliminator or the adapter cables). I want to get them but just dont know what else to get to make them work.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Members

Thanks appreciate the info im going to take a look at those DDM's online right now....did you the color of your angel eyes too?...Can you do that with just a bulb or do you know?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan
I am in the market for HIDs. I looked at these and wondering what are the extras they offer for the DDM kit. Do you need to buy them to make them work (HID harness, error eliminator or the adapter cables). I want to get them but just dont know what else to get to make them work.
Not sure what you mean by "extras" but for what the kit costs ($40-$50) you get ballast's and bulbs as well as the needed cables. This is pretty much all you need to get everything working (minus something to mount the ballast's down with). Just to clarify, with this kit you do NOT need error cancelers or a harness to make this kit work(for the lowbeams at least, not sure about the fogs as I haven't done them yet). This kit works fine straight out of the box.

Originally Posted by Calimyke
Thanks appreciate the info im going to take a look at those DDM's online right now....did you the color of your angel eyes too?...Can you do that with just a bulb or do you know?
I'm working on this one still....I just barely recieved my bulbs yesterday...if you like you can follow my thread here.

Quick Reply: Want to change out my amber halogens?..How??