E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Volume adjustment of hifi

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Hoping you can help me here! I picked up my new 520d M-sport yesterday & am having a puzzle with the volume for the hifi (std hifi, nothing extra)

I am aware I have a volume knob & also the steering wheel controls to adjust these.....so no funny answers!

My problem seems to be that the volume will for some reason not go any louder, no matter if I turn the volume or press the buttons.

I know is does go louder, as I have had the same track playing louder earlier in the day.

It appears to be 'limited' for some reason & I cant work out why?!??!?

I have adjusted the volume of TP & Sat Nav to a reduced level, but this shouldn't affect the overall output level should it?

Any advice greatly received - I'm sure there is something in the depths of i-drive that I have chnaged somewhere.

Thanks

Matt
Old 09-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Members

Same here i'd like to know also! I put it down to my hearing!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Members

Deff not your hearing!

....also, if anyone has a cure for the screeching noise through the speakers when changing tracks on the ipod via i-drive & using the BMW y-cable.

Apart from these 2 things, I'm loving the car......oh, and the fact the CD changer has jammed already But I found the solution to that, just need to get it done!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

In my 520d standard hifi, there are only bass/treble controls in iDrive. I assigned the levels to my left up/down steering wheel knobs and have no problems at all.

Are you using an iPod or something? It might be the source.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Members

Are you using an iPod or something? It might be the source.
[/quote]

Thanks Mike; a good point - yes I am, especially as the CD changer is jammed.

Although the ipod has always been my source & there is definitely a 'limit' that I have hit recently on volume that was not there previously.

Ho hum, at least if this is the only gremlin I'm happy - its still loud enough in such a quiet car & I am happy with the sound quality; my S2000 sounded terrible!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by MJ2K' post='659785' date='Sep 2 2008, 02:15 PM
Although the ipod has always been my source & there is definitely a 'limit' that I have hit recently on volume that was not there previously.

Ho hum, at least if this is the only gremlin I'm happy - its still loud enough in such a quiet car & I am happy with the sound quality; my S2000 sounded terrible!
Some of the iPods have internal volume limit, I don't know if it applies also for the BMW integration but maybe you want to check that one. What about the volume setting in iPod itself? Does it have any affect to the volume it will output to the BMW system?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='659937' date='Sep 2 2008, 04:59 PM
Some of the iPods have internal volume limit, I don't know if it applies also for the BMW integration but maybe you want to check that one. What about the volume setting in iPod itself? Does it have any affect to the volume it will output to the BMW system?
+1
Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Titanium Silver

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='659937' date='Sep 2 2008, 10:59 AM
Not sure how it works on the new cars with iPod interface, but after retroffiting AUX input in my car I quickly learned that standard headphone output is not suitable for that due to higher resistance of the output circuit. Did you try to use iPod cable which gives line out versus headphone output? Or am I missing something?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bars_sun' post='659943' date='Sep 2 2008, 05:15 PM
Not sure how it works on the new cars with iPod interface, but after retroffiting AUX input in my car I quickly learned that standard headphone output is not suitable for that due to higher resistance of the output circuit. Did you try to use iPod cable which gives line out versus headphone output? Or am I missing something?
I'm using the Y-cable supplied by BMW which takes a line-out from the 21 pin ipod connector and connects to the car via USB and 3.5mm jack. Based on line-out, ipod volume should not affect it, but worth a go; will post up results.

Cant seem to find a cure for the random screeching / chirping noise when changing tracks though, and as with all the best faults it is intermittent....joy!

Love the car though - will just takes some time getting used to the size after the S2000

Matt

EDIT: JUST TRIED THE IPOD VOLUME AND MAKES NO DIFFERENCE, ALTHOUGH USING A MINI & A NANO GEN2, THEY ARE BOTH LOUDER - MAYBE JUST THE VIDEO MODEL THEN!?