E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD with RPM and gear indicator

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the HUD in an M5 has a few more features such as the RPM revs and the current gear but these are not present on the standard HUD option on other 5 series cars. Is there a way to update the software to add it? Having the revs and current gear seems like it would be awesome.

BTW I did try searching for this topic but my keywords (HUD and RPM) cannot be searched for, I think the words are too short and all my other keywords didn't return anything useful.

TIA
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

While very desirable for us that drive enthusiastically in our e60's, I don't think there's a way to do it.

Cal
Old 09-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='659458' date='Sep 2 2008, 01:13 AM
While very desirable for us that drive enthusiastically in our e60's, I don't think there's a way to do it.

Cal
Please don't be so sure because I'll try it shortly. HUD and fully leather dash with stitches (mint condition taken from M5) is already mounted. Of course, I won't have gear indicator, cause I'm manual, but why not rev indicator? ..as I already have the M5 cluster that transfers the info to the already M5 programmed from the factory HUD ...we'll see
Old 09-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

OK, point taken - if you replace the e60 dash cluster with an M5 setup I guess you might get there (let us know!).

Another way to do it is...

... buy an M5.

Cal
Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='659479' date='Sep 2 2008, 02:12 AM
Another way to do it is...

... buy an M5.

Cal
That would be a nice dream for me, as I can't cope with the price-consumption-taxes-insurance cost of a 5.0L/510 HP car
Old 09-02-2008, 02:58 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='659430' date='Sep 1 2008, 10:34 PM
I believe the HUD in an M5 has a few more features such as the RPM revs and the current gear but these are not present on the standard HUD option on other 5 series cars. Is there a way to update the software to add it? Having the revs and current gear seems like it would be awesome.

BTW I did try searching for this topic but my keywords (HUD and RPM) cannot be searched for, I think the words are too short and all my other keywords didn't return anything useful.

TIA
Have you considered an M5 or is fuel a big thing for you ?

The reason I ask is I've been running my 05 535D Sport for a while now and get approx 30mpg mixed use motorway and B Roads but the M5 could get as high as 20mpg and given the difference is petrol and diesel..........well this all works in my head anyway.....

Plus I guess a MY2006 535D is going to be about ?30k ?......thats M5 money :-)

Come on....you know you'd rather have an M5

Si
Old 09-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Alright Nick, that'll be awesome!!!

Will such mod also require a HUD capable front windshield glass too (if there's such thing)?

GL on the mod...!

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='659462' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:20 PM
Please don't be so sure because I'll try it shortly. HUD and fully leather dash with stitches (mint condition taken from M5) is already mounted. Of course, I won't have gear indicator, cause I'm manual, but why not rev indicator? ..as I already have the M5 cluster that transfers the info to the already M5 programmed from the factory HUD ...we'll see
Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 AM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='659462' date='Sep 1 2008, 11:20 PM
Fingers crossed for you but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Even on the M5 the additional features in the HUD are configured using the M-Button settings in the I-Drive, which is different in the M5. Unless you can somehow configure your car to have a pseudo M mode it may not work. Even in the M5 you can't get the RPM to show if you aren't in M mode. Let us know though, I'd love to be proved wrong on this one.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 AM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Originally Posted by BigladUK' post='659780' date='Sep 2 2008, 11:58 AM
Have you considered an M5 or is fuel a big thing for you ?

The reason I ask is I've been running my 05 535D Sport for a while now and get approx 30mpg mixed use motorway and B Roads but the M5 could get as high as 20mpg and given the difference is petrol and diesel..........well this all works in my head anyway.....

Plus I guess a MY2006 535D is going to be about ?30k ?......thats M5 money :-)

Come on....you know you'd rather have an M5

Si
Ooh, I feel a crisis point coming for you mate... you're not going to get 20mpg in an M5 except on very special days (downhill for miles, cruise control locked to 70mph, no traffic in front of you, never touching the accelerator - that kind of thing). Special, and very boring days . I had the same great intentions but honestly the temptation to give the car a good thrashing is just too strong. So I often only get half that. On a quiet motorway at legal speeds I get about 16mpg.

To the OP - sorry we hijacked your thread!

Edit: BTW, Biglad and techno, did you both notice that you are in the same town, and each respectively a prospective seller and buyer of a 535d? Go on, make it work!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='659462' date='Sep 2 2008, 07:20 AM
Keep us updated! This is a retrofit that I would love to do when I get my car! Not the M5 dash, but perhaps the HUD and the software upgrade to support the rev and gear indicator!

Quick Reply: HUD with RPM and gear indicator