E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Voice Recognition Use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 525. Voice recognition - do you use it and if so, in what capacity. ie. Do you use it just to get to Nav or Entertainment and then use the i-drive controller or do you use voice for all functions? It seems to me that it works great for getting to the topic, then specific actions are difficult, ie you say a command it switches to another menu entirely. This is new to me, so it may just be me, I don't know. Any tricks of the trade out there? I did print the cmd list off the Info portion of this site. Maybe it works best just from the "sshort cmd" list in the manual. Opinions / Recommendations?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm usually one to embrace technology like voice command, etc. Even so, I find I rarely use any voice commands to control anything with iDrive.

The most frequent use for me is when I want to "dial name" or "dial number" with the phone...
Old 04-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Me too.. and I also use it with the word "zieleingabe" (enter destination). Saves me a few clicks on the I-Drive..
Old 04-19-2005, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by sixgun95' date='Apr 19 2005, 05:20 AM
06 525.? Voice recognition - do you use it and if so, in what capacity.? ie. Do you use it just to get to Nav or Entertainment and then use the i-drive controller or do you use voice for all functions?? It seems to me that it works great for getting to the topic, then specific actions are difficult, ie you say a command it switches to another menu entirely.? This is new to me, so it may just be me, I don't know.? Any tricks of the trade out there?? I did print the cmd list off the Info portion of this site.? Maybe it works best just from the "sshort cmd" list in the manual.? Opinions / Recommendations?
[snapback]117113[/snapback]
I used the list that you printed at first then asked for options on each menu to get a revised list after SW updates.

I use voice command for almost everthing.

To change map direction
To get to address list
To get to address book.
To call
To get Top 8 list
To switch CD tracks
To switch CDs
To go to FM and presets
To go to climate
To set parked car ventilation
Trip computer
On board info

Many more.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by sixgun95' date='Apr 19 2005, 09:20 AM
06 525.? Voice recognition - do you use it and if so, in what capacity.? ie. Do you use it just to get to Nav or Entertainment and then use the i-drive controller or do you use voice for all functions?? It seems to me that it works great for getting to the topic, then specific actions are difficult, ie you say a command it switches to another menu entirely.? This is new to me, so it may just be me, I don't know.? Any tricks of the trade out there?? I did print the cmd list off the Info portion of this site.? Maybe it works best just from the "sshort cmd" list in the manual.? Opinions / Recommendations?
[snapback]117113[/snapback]
I have tried a lot in the beginning, but I almost never got to where I wanted to go....so I have given up
Old 04-19-2005, 07:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

I use it to bypass the iDrive menu whenever possible...

FM
Call home
CD1, track 2

Examples of the most common commands I use. I use them pretty much on every drive.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I use it a lot to switch from nav to phone, to entertainment and back. Problem I am having is no VC to SAT Radio or Aux Input. VC Entertainment Options list Aux Input but when I repeat what the voice tells me I get the Audio set up instead. I hope we can get VC to Aux and Satellite in some upcoming CIP updates.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Members

I use it to call a radio station - "100.5 FM". I also call the "MAP" or "MAP driving directions". I sometimes call "Speed limit".

...and definitely when I show my car to someone.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Canadian' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:42 AM
I use it to call a radio station - "100.5 FM".? I also call the "MAP" or "MAP driving directions".? I sometimes call "Speed limit".

[snapback]117706[/snapback]
Call "speed limit"? Joke or will it actually do something?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by sixgun95' date='Apr 20 2005, 02:13 PM
[quote name='Canadian' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:42 AM']I use it to call a radio station - "100.5 FM".? I also call the "MAP" or "MAP driving directions".? I sometimes call "Speed limit".

[snapback]117706[/snapback]
Call "speed limit"? Joke or will it actually do something?
[snapback]117816[/snapback]
[/quote]
You can set a speed to set off a chime when hit.

Quick Reply: Voice Recognition Use?