E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Voice Recognition on E60

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay guys just got a 2005 530I (today with a proffesional NAV I believe ( split screen and perspective mode ). I need help here as I am trying to figure out how to get the VR working on this unit. I have blue tooth enabled and have verified it with my phone. But when I push the "person talking buttons" on steering wheel and near the "idrive menu button" nothing happens. I can also say that the dealer updated the idrive software before I bought it as the bluetooh pairing option was in a different spot when I test drove it then it currently is. I am hoping to get this enabled as my buddy has an 04 530 that has this feature and now the idrive menu options match.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Members

My Ride: [color="#2F4F4F"][font="Arial Narrow"][b]F07 5-Series GT | 2009 '59' | Black Sapphire, Ivory White Leather, Unlacquered Fineline Wood Trim[/b] Media Professional Pack with HDD, Visibility Pack, Electric Front Seats with Memory 20" alloys [style 316] with Pirelli P-Zeroes RF tires, Adaptive Drive USB Interface, DAB Tuner, Extended Ambient Lighting, Comfort Access [/font][/color]

You should have a [feminine] voice prompt over the car speakers as soon as you press the VR button on the steering wheel or down by the iDrive Menu button. If you dont hear this, I am not sure but there may be two things to look into:

1. On the Pro Sat Nav setting meni [pressing down for "i" on the initial iDrive screen], check that the steering wheel buttons have not been re-assigned for other functions (usually blank after a sofware reset as you described)

2. Likewise I would check the Communication folder for any VR settings hidden there [not sure about this]

Seems to me you have a faulty VR module.

From my personal experience, and those of several contributors here, VR is one of the least used features.
So I wouldn't fret about not having it - pretty useless once the novelty wears off.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545iA

I sometimes use it, like when i want to go to the last number redial list (its damn annoying, that if i use idrive button, it goes to phone menu, but random folder every time, with voice input i always get to the right spot) or to turn on/off limit etc. I wouldnt pay for this extra, but if i have it why not use it:-)
Old 08-06-2009, 05:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by SpokenHands' post='967296' date='Aug 6 2009, 06:10 AM
You should have a [feminine] voice prompt over the car speakers as soon as you press the VR button on the steering wheel or down by the iDrive Menu button. If you dont hear this, I am not sure but there may be two things to look into:

1. On the Pro Sat Nav setting meni [pressing down for "i" on the initial iDrive screen], check that the steering wheel buttons have not been re-assigned for other functions (usually blank after a sofware reset as you described)

2. Likewise I would check the Communication folder for any VR settings hidden there [not sure about this]

Seems to me you have a faulty VR module.

From my personal experience, and those of several contributors here, VR is one of the least used features.
So I wouldn't fret about not having it - pretty useless once the novelty wears off.
sounds like you got a software update to V25 or later and they didn't put the enabling code for the voice recognition back on your car. it was a pretty common problem back in 07 when V25 was released. it'd be covered under warranty, except, of course, an 04 probably doesn't have any at this point.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Members

Is there a way I can enable this myself?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by novetec' post='967385' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:32 AM
Is there a way I can enable this myself?
nope. they have to upload a file to the car.

SI B 09 02 07
Programming/Coding Explanations May 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B09 02 07 dated May 2007.

(New) designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
CCC: Enabling Code (FSC) Required for Voice Recognition System

MODEL
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) with CCC Navigation (SA 609)

E60, E61 (5 Series) with CCC Navigation (SA 609)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E70 (X5) with CCC Navigation (SA 609)

SITUATION

Progman V25.00.00 or higher prompts the importing of an enabling code during programming.

Loss of Voice Recognition System (SVS SA 620) functions after programming with Progman V25.00.00 or higher.

On vehicles produced after March 2007, if a CCC (Car Communication Computer) is replaced an enabling code must be ordered in order to activate the SVS function on the replacement CCC.

CAUSE
Enabling codes (FSC) make it possible to link special functions to a vehicle. Without these enabling codes these functions will not operate. In this specific case, the enabling codes must be imported any time the Car Communication Computer (CCC) is programmed in order to ensure that SVS is functioning properly. If the enabling codes are not imported during the programming procedure, the SVS function will not be available.

PROCEDURE
A special DVD (labeled "SWT V1.1") is supplied together with the Progman V25.1 DVD set. The enabling codes contained on this DVD are for all vehicles with CCC and SVS.

After Progman has been installed on the SSS, place the FSC (SWT) DVD into the DVD drive and leave it there. This will ensure that the enabling codes are available for every Progman session as needed.

Refer to the "Procedure" attachment which outlines the procedure on how to import the enabling codes with the SSS.

If an enabling code is not provided following this procedure, refer to the "Parts" information attached to this Service Information.

(New) If during the course of diagnosis a CCC needs to be replaced, the only part that should be installed is a new part that has not been previously installed in a vehicle. The CCC enabling code is VIN specific and if installed in another vehicle, the SVS (Voice Input System) will not function. Do not swap parts from donor vehicles.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
No additional labor allowance, included in the allotted programming time.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

That's funny, I don't get a female voice. When I hit the button on my console and say - for instance "radio", my stereo just switches to the radio. Likewise if I say "navigation" my NAV screen appears. I do get a voice response when I touch my steering wheel button though. Is there something I am missing?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='967422' date='Aug 6 2009, 10:15 AM
That's funny, I don't get a female voice. When I hit the button on my console and say - for instance "radio", my stereo just switches to the radio. Likewise if I say "navigation" my NAV screen appears. I do get a voice response when I touch my steering wheel button though. Is there something I am missing?
say "options" or "help" and you should get a voice. I only get a beep when I press the button, I have to say something to get a response. I get a male voice though. wish it was female!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='967427' date='Aug 6 2009, 07:19 AM
say "options" or "help" and you should get a voice. I only get a beep when I press the button, I have to say something to get a response. I get a male voice though. wish it was female!

+1 thanks, I'll have to try that.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by novetec' post='966880' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:01 AM
Okay guys just got a 2005 530I (today with a proffesional NAV I believe ( split screen and perspective mode ). I need help here as I am trying to figure out how to get the VR working on this unit. I have blue tooth enabled and have verified it with my phone. But when I push the "person talking buttons" on steering wheel and near the "idrive menu button" nothing happens. I can also say that the dealer updated the idrive software before I bought it as the bluetooh pairing option was in a different spot when I test drove it then it currently is. I am hoping to get this enabled as my buddy has an 04 530 that has this feature and now the idrive menu options match.

Thanks
The "person talking button" on the steering wheel is fitted on all cars regardless of if they have voice control or not. I believe you can tell if you have voice control because the Menu button near the gear shifter is split in two. One half is the Menu button, the other half is the voice control. If it is a single long Menu button then you do not have voice control.

I don't have voice control in my car and looked into having it retro fitted. However, it's so not that great at recognising words that I decided against it. Didn't fancy paying money for something that I wouldn't use much beyond the initial novelty.

Just my 2p worth.

Quick Reply: Voice Recognition on E60