E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Voice Command

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got Voice Command w/ the ProNav. I read somewhere that it would recognize over 3,000 words. Is there a list of commands or options list available? The Owners Manual is not very complete on using the system.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

I just got my Voice activation software update.

Which activated the system from not working at all.

It works poorly.

There is no way it has a 3000 word vocabulary.

In fact when it doesn?t understand you (which is very often) it will give you a list of commands it does.

I also have found the manual on the voice activation system to be very sketchy.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I thought you could say "Help" or "Options" and it will show you all the options available.

I have heard conflicting news on this. I heard from someone else that it works great! I heard almost everything on iDrive has a voice command. And considering that certain options have more than one voice tag (e.g. "radio on" or "Switch on radio"), I bet it does have 3,000 words available.

You mumbling or speaking with an accent? Like Ozzy Osbourne?

Voice recognition systems need you to speak slowly and clearly and the less background noise the better.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:25 AM

tdocz: what month was your car built?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Build FEB 04

I speak very clearly without an accent at.

I live in central US and we are known for boring no accent speech patterns.

It should understand me if anyone at all.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Members

555: I think you are right that there is a command for each function in the iDrive. Mine works fairly well and I find it easier to move around iDrive through voice command than using the iDrive. The shorter the commands the better.

tdocz: sorry that yours does not work well, as mine is doing as I expected. I got my 545i this past monday, so it was a Feb 04 build also. I do get some wrong areas if I talk before or during the bong sound. but I am happy with the results so far.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Guest_stl545

I find the hardest thing is to remember to wait for the bong before speaking. If you talk too fast it gets confused.

Also, it wants to hear things in specific order. I sometimes forget and just say the radio frequency I want to hear. This doesn't work. You need to say the word "frequency" first.

All in all I find it an easy way to work the radio and phone. It doesn't work that great for the Climate functions in my opinion. I haven't yet learned how to work the Navigation system.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

How do you like the HUD? Is it easy to see? Can you adjust the vertical positioning? Brightness?

You really loaded up your vehicle. I got all your options except PDC and ACC. I had a HUD on a '97 Grand Prix and grew very accustomed to having it. That one was very rudimentary, so this "Gen 2" HUD should be awesome.

-MrB
Old 03-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Members

mrbelk: I like the HUD alot. I don't think that you can change the brightness but it is not over bearing to look at and I think that it self adjusts to the amount of light present. I don't find it annoying. You can not change the position of the display. When you have the cruise and nav info along with the speed, it may look cluttered but I still like the info where it is instead of looking down all the time. It is easy to turn on and off if you desire.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Members

You can change the brightness of the HUD: it's a setting in the I-Drive.

And HUD is fantastic: very useful for the Navigation and the Active Cruise Control

Quick Reply: Voice Command