E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Voice Activation in the UK .............. What Do I Need ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Following an incident this week when I was operating the IDrive, only to look up and see that the rest of the motorway traffic had stopped and I was heading towards them at a rapid rate of Knots, I have decided it is a tad dangerous and don't want to see my life flash in front of me again in a hurry.
Therefore I would like to upgrade my car to ?Voice Input?; the kit is described in the accessories catalogue and priced at ?49.95, which I believe to be the switch assembly. I have contacted a number of dealers local to me and they have all come back with different prices and items I need to activate this in the car.
My car is a 2005 (May) E61 with Media Pack therefore it has SATNAV Professional but is not voice activated. Can anyone throw some light on what I ?would? need?
I have the multifunction steering wheel with the voice button on it, does that negate the need for the accessory kit?
The fitting times have varied between 1.5 hours and 8 hours.
Having read the content of this topic on the forum and I am keen to get it done for as close to ?200 as I can.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan
Old 12-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

I had it retro fitted to mine...Think it was about ?250 all in (Halliwell Jones in Chester). In addition there's a wiring harness you also need which costs a couple of pounds tho' your parts guy will be able to tell you exactly what you need.

The only complication is the dealer will need the car overnight to do a software download.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by Aeroresh' post='366534' date='Dec 12 2006, 05:58 PM
I had it retro fitted to mine...Think it was about ?250 all in (Halliwell Jones in Chester). In addition there's a wiring harness you also need which costs a couple of pounds tho' your parts guy will be able to tell you exactly what you need.

The only complication is the dealer will need the car overnight to do a software download.
Thanks for the info, the dealer has earlier today confirmed exactly what you have said. and it's now booked in. An interesting piece of information is that BMW (since last week through a service bulletin) now do this upgrade themselves remotely and do not leave it to the dealer to do, I think this is probably to ensure all cars wherever possible are on the same version of software.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by jagman' post='366557' date='Dec 12 2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the info, the dealer has earlier today confirmed exactly what you have said. and it's now booked in. An interesting piece of information is that BMW (since last week through a service bulletin) now do this upgrade themselves remotely and do not leave it to the dealer to do, I think this is probably to ensure all cars wherever possible are on the same version of software.
The dealer still does the software upgrade however what the dealer requires is a code that BMW AG provide them. This also ensures that your car's specs are now updated at the factory to show voice input too.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Members

Is this possible on a UK car that only has business navigation?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Members

My Ride: Dec 55 535d sport, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Electric Sunroof, Media Package, Visiblity Package with Adaptive Bi-Xenons & Headlight Wash, Folding mirrors, 19" M172 wheels, Rear spoiler, Sun Protection Glass

Hi Bryan

How much are you paying pal? Just been quoted ?300 from Williams Bolton and ?260 from Williams Manchester. Ironic that the retropart only costs ?49 but labour etc.

Williams Manchester reckons it will take about 3 weeks to get the code from BMW AG.

mmm..
Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by zerocool242001' post='366980' date='Dec 13 2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Bryan

How much are you paying pal? Just been quoted ?300 from Williams Bolton and ?260 from Williams Manchester. Ironic that the retropart only costs ?49 but labour etc.

Williams Manchester reckons it will take about 3 weeks to get the code from BMW AG.

mmm..
I am paying ?220 including parts and labour and cannot have the job done until first week in Jan for the same reason they are giving you. The highest price I was quoted was ?600 after discounts!!!!