E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Visited a few tracks this month :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 550 for 7 months now, and in that time I attended almost half a dozen track events. 4 open track days and 1 DRIFT day.

Many people do not consider the E60 a "track" car, but for me, I like to have a well balanced car, something good to drive around town with, and enough for some "fun" at the track. No performance mods other than wheels/tires/suspension, and I was able to hold my own, was one of the faster cars in the non-advanced run group.

I signed up for the drift event because as a driver I want to know how to control the car if/when I lose control, purposely or not.

Here's a teaser. Will provide more pictures and videos later.

For the track, I've fitted the car with a super aggressive tire setup, but everything else is relatively ok for the streets. It *does* rub in front, but not enough for the fender to cut/pop the tire.

Front: VMR Wheels VB3 Hyper Black 19x9.5 ET22 + 15mm Spacer on 265/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Rear: VMR Wheels VB3 Hyper Black 19x9.5 ET22 on 285/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Suspension: Eibach Pro Kit + Koni FSD.

Two drawbacks that I've learned to live with is the rear diff.... Peg leg burnouts are not fun, but I think BMW was able to dial out the sluggishness using the DSC. Second drawback is the automatic transmission. The tiptronic is basically useless because the ECU upshift and downshifts for you. It reacts relatively slowly to throttle inputs esp if you are coming out of the corners. Since I'm not racing for tenths of a second, I ended up leaving it in "S" mode. The only times using the M mode was useful was if I was planning to pass someone, so i can downshift a little faster.

DSC/DTC: On the track, I found that the DSC was way too restrictive in terms of cutting back throttle. You basically cannot power out of a corner without the DSC holding you back. However, DTC OFF is a good alternative. The car will allow you to break your tires loose and give you reasonable effort to regain control of your car before the DSC takes over. Because I chose to enter/exit certain corners sideways, this one was particularly useful. I did drive a few laps around the track with DSC/DTC OFF (holding DTC for 5 seconds) but because the transmission can randomly downshift, I didn't want to risk completely spinning out

OEM Brakes: Absolutely AWESOME. Driving at 85-90%, you can fully utilize the brakes without overheating them. Driving at 90-95% I was able to get 2-3 hot laps before cooking/glazing them.

Active Steering: I thought that the active steering would get in the way, but I think BMW did a wonderful job in allowing for "spirited driving"

Heated Seats: It was cold as hell, 40 degrees all day. For safety purposes, windows have to be rolled down. So, heated seats came in handy
Old 12-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Members

Wow...sounds like tremendous fun, and it's something I want to do with my 535i.

What about insurance? Does your car insurance carrier consider this "racing?" Do you have your normal coverage, or do you have to buy something else?

If you don't have coverage (racing exclusion) do you go without?

Inquiring minds, and all that.

David
Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Man does a track day sound like FUN!!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Nice input peter@vmrwheels

For winter driving:
Using the Steptronic (not the tiptronic) in Sport mode is without the DTC off,
is also the best alternative on a icy road for a experienced driver.

On the track:
The E60 is OEM a under steered car, so use the adaptable Konis.

A 550iA actually don't have a diff to talk about.

"Because I chose to enter/exit certain corners sideways".
That's never the fastest way around a track.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Nice!

Glad to see an E60 on the track.
Used to track my STi fairly often before but haven't had a chance to track the bimmer.

When both DSC/DTC off, does the rear (electronic) swaybar work to reduce the body roll?
I'm just wondering whether this electronically adjusted sway bar is only "ON" when the DSC is turned on.

Glad to know the OE brake works well too.
Did you flush the brake fluid w/ a fresh performance fluid or you just go w/ whatever BMW put in there?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

nice man thanks for sharing
Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Nice write up. I enjoy my 550i on track. See the thread 550i at VIR. Here is a link to
. "Session 3" shows the speedo and a good view of me using the paddles. Its a full session except for the warm up and cool down laps. The session starts out easy but 1/2 way thru I was hitting 130 mph on the straights. Skip to the 6 minute mark to see me catch and pass a slow Porsche and have a clear track for several laps. After then catching a real slow Porsche, some other drivers catch and pass me but I hang with them until the end of the session.

My 550i is stock except for high temp brake fluid. I did experience some fade but that was mostly my fault because of forgetting the braking points from last year (and caused me to go easy to start session 3 in the video). I do have a slight un-even braking m ever since. I bet a good bedding-in session will cure that. Plus a good brake flush is in order before the next season.

The new sport automatic gave me no problem at all on track. Fast downshifts, near redline uphifts, and no surprises. I do run DSC full off except for the first lap or two.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dweeks' post='751275' date='Dec 23 2008, 10:14 AM
What about insurance? Does your car insurance carrier consider this "racing?" Do you have your normal coverage, or do you have to buy something else?
I would have a very specific discussion with my insurance carrier before assuming any track time is covered. In most cases, standard carriers (in the US) are moving towards not covering track time at all.

As always....

YMMV.

Barry
Old 12-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Members

Thanks for the inputs. Regardless of the BMW you drive, its always worth visiting the track at least once or twice. You'll always come away with some extra knowledge of how to handle your car on the streets, especially during emergency situations. I even took a X5 4.4i to the same track about 5 yrs ago. After 6-8 hrs of track time with the 550, I probably won't be doing much more of it soon... Any 'track' modifications is going to kill the daily driveability. A dedicated track car is the best way to go for i can probably use that to join amateur racing series.

A few days after I purchased the car, I went to a dry lake bed to see how the car handles (see the powerslide in my sig).

Insurance: Wording for different insurance carriers regarding "track days" is vague at best, and due to the increasing claims, some are trying to find ways to exclude it. I've had friends who wrecked their cars on the track and the insurance covered it in full. They don't cover "racing" or "timed" events but all of these track days are considered "instructional" and because there are instructors around, you can even call it "Driver improvement". Regardless, getting into a claims situation is never fun. There are track-specific insurance policies that you can look into.

Safety is pretty much up to the driver: Never drive at your limits, do 70-80% and you'll be safe. Read each individual corner and predict whether the consequences of you losing control of the car will be disastrous ... I.e. if there is a wall, dip, etc, you probably dont want to push too hard thru that corner. Don't do unsafe passing, and let aggressive drivers by. A track is pretty much as controlled as it could be, you dont have to worry about morons cutting into your lane, running red lights, etc.

Sorry about the improper use of jargon, I do wheels for many markets and I guess Tiptronic is an Audi thing
Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

DAMN PETER! That is AWESOME. I want to take my car to the track too once I get my car back

Quick Reply: Visited a few tracks this month :)