E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Violating Manufacturer's Direction

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GregBrand
What are the consequences of violating the manufacturer's "rotation direction arrow" stamped on a tire?
It was nice knowing you, Greg.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GregBrand
What are the consequences of violating the manufacturer's "rotation direction arrow" stamped on a tire? Loss of traction? Tire explodes? Tire disintegrates? I have Pilot Plus A/S Sport 275 x 40 x 18 on the rear and am starting to see excessive wear on the inside due to BMW camber setting.

In another thread members discussed some premature wear, on the rear, from the BMW camber. Could reversing the direction of rotation balance the uneven wear on the rear?
As others have said, it's mostly about the effectiveness of how well it eliminates water. It has all those channels where water escapes the main channels. By putting them on the wrong way around, you're fighting the design. I don't expect it would make any difference at all in the wet.

Originally Posted by KAF
Do not put them on against the directional arrow, it will mess up your wet grip big time and may also make you legally liable in the event of an accident.
Insurance companies look for any reason to not payout. Would they use that as an excuse if you crashed in the rain?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Correct direction of tire roll = water evacuation. Opposite direction of tire roll = water collection? Should have no real issue in the dry, perhaps noisier, since directional tires are also tuned for road noise.

Some tires are marked "outside" on one face. Not sure if this is because they have that wheel protection ridge on that side, or some hidden engineering below the surface. For liability reasons, you may have a hard time finding a tire shop that will mount the tires in the wrong direction of roll or with the outside face inside.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:04 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by vkhong
Some tires are marked "outside" on one face.

These are asymmetric tyres, they are designed with different stiffness to the outside shoulder compared to the inside shoulder of the tread, this enables better cornering.

Putting these on the wrong way round will result in worse handling in all conditions.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spandex
Usually the tread is directional to help it shed water when driving in the wet... Changing the direction of rotation would probably affect the handling in poor weather. There would probably also be an increased risk of aquaplaning on any standing water.

Personally I wouldn't risk it just to save a few pennies. I'd be more inclined to try to sort out the cause of the uneven wear.
+ 2
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

it never amazes me the lengths people will go to save money to sacrifice safety of themselves and others.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MRV99
it never amazes me the lengths people will go to save money to sacrifice safety of themselves and others.

Thats usually what happens when you buy a car you can't afford to properly maintain. Its like being house-poor, I suppose?