E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Wrap on gray interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Hey Guys,

My 530i is titanium silver with gray interior.

Hopefully in the next few days, the entire interior of my car will be vinyl wrapped by one of "The Kings of Mods" on this forum.

My initial thought would be Black 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Dinco Flex wrap CA-421.

Here is a link to it: http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI-...nyl-s/4083.htm

What do you think of my choice? Should I go with simple black Di-Noc CF, gloss or something else?

Check out the link for all the options and please give me some feedbacks. All ideas and suggestions are welcomed!!! Hurry, time is running out.

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I did mine in the 3m Dinoc carbon fiber and like the look a lot. The one thing I don't like is the lifting here and there. This was my first wrap and I was very careful with cleanliness and all but some of the curve are rather strong and perhaps this is part of the reason. i see a little lifting around the 90 degree air vents too. I'm debating to try it again though... I'm also seriously thinking of dropping some black paint on it and making them all gloss black but just can't get a good feeling if I would like it or not. The only problem if I don't I'm kinda stuck with it unless I go with another color or back to wrapping. I can professionally paint and threw out an offer a while back that if someone wanted their trims painted gloss black I would do it for free and the only cost would be the materials which would be very minimal. Chase sent me a CC trim and a rear door trim which I painted black but I really want to see it all together in a car. The offer still stands and I can post or send pics of the trim if anyone is interested.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

I went with their new 3M 1080 scotchprint gloss black carbon fiber ! Very easy to install and I would recommend of removing your dash trim and your center console trim before wrapping it, I didn't bothered myself with removing the doors trim, I did it them right on the door, it was my first experience of wrapping, and it lools awesome !

If you go CF , just pay attention to carbon fiber line, make sure that they all go in the same directions ! Lol

GL
Old 06-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Members

I did some "Minor Wrap" of my shift trim...it looked awsome...one way i advise is not cur straight from the carbon material. I wraped my shift trim with painters tape, then cut a patern on the painters tape. Then stick painter tape on carbon sheet and cut around the pattern...this i did not have to remove the console and all that..then bevel around the edges when putting on the carbon fiber...hope it works for you like it did mine
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I did mine in the 3m Dinoc carbon fiber and like the look a lot. The one thing I don't like is the lifting here and there. This was my first wrap and I was very careful with cleanliness and all but some of the curve are rather strong and perhaps this is part of the reason. i see a little lifting around the 90 degree air vents too. I'm debating to try it again though... I'm also seriously thinking of dropping some black paint on it and making them all gloss black but just can't get a good feeling if I would like it or not. The only problem if I don't I'm kinda stuck with it unless I go with another color or back to wrapping. I can professionally paint and threw out an offer a while back that if someone wanted their trims painted gloss black I would do it for free and the only cost would be the materials which would be very minimal. Chase sent me a CC trim and a rear door trim which I painted black but I really want to see it all together in a car. The offer still stands and I can post or send pics of the trim if anyone is interested.
I stripped all my interior after wrapping. When it's 95 degrees out and the car is sitting in the sun you better believe it gets about 150 degrees in the car and that wrap simply can't handle it. I got it from a reputable company and if you seen my DIY you will see that I did a superb job. But still wasn't enough in the end. I took all vents out of the woodgrain and everything and it sucked doing this twice. I wouldn't recommend the 3M di-noc CF vinyl to anyone becuase it's not going to last. I can paint cars, bikes, wheels, jetskis, boats and golf carts but wrapping just SUCKS!!!! lol (or maybe it was the wrap and constant burn of the heat gun while pressing the damn stuff)
Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I stripped all my interior after wrapping. When it's 95 degrees out and the car is sitting in the sun you better believe it gets about 150 degrees in the car and that wrap simply can't handle it. I got it from a reputable company and if you seen my DIY you will see that I did a superb job. But still wasn't enough in the end. I took all vents out of the woodgrain and everything and it sucked doing this twice. I wouldn't recommend the 3M di-noc CF vinyl to anyone becuase it's not going to last. I can paint cars, bikes, wheels, jetskis, boats and golf carts but wrapping just SUCKS!!!! lol (or maybe it was the wrap and constant burn of the heat gun while pressing the damn stuff)
Exactly, I took it all out as well. Separated the vents from the wood trim and after lifting the vent clips to the wood trim, I pull little on the center vent which led to the horizontal fins coming out! Just a little mistake on my part and one big PITA to put back together, so a good lesson learned. I thought the same, I really like it, but I just see the little lifting annoying things here and there. I thought maybe to try it again and this time focus in on ensuring the wrap is completely wrapped all the way around to the back side of the part. I did hear there is another wrap that is much better for this than the 3m dinoc, I just can't remember which one it is.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i Sport Pkg. Stock, for now...

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Exactly, I took it all out as well. Separated the vents from the wood trim and after lifting the vent clips to the wood trim, I pull little on the center vent which led to the horizontal fins coming out! Just a little mistake on my part and one big PITA to put back together, so a good lesson learned. I thought the same, I really like it, but I just see the little lifting annoying things here and there. I thought maybe to try it again and this time focus in on ensuring the wrap is completely wrapped all the way around to the back side of the part. I did hear there is another wrap that is much better for this than the 3m dinoc, I just can't remember which one it is.
I am thinking about doing this to my trim as well. I was originally going to go with di-noc (probably because i am a fool for brand names), but after reading this i wonder if there is something out there with a bit stronger adhesive. Also if I do it I guess I suppose I should plan on removing and wrapping behind.

tonyb, was it one of these two that you were thinking about?
http://neffywrap.com/index.php?main_...78v40lq480cjf5

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Black-...metro3d6in.htm
the metrostyling stuff says it holds up to 201*F vs di-nocs 150*F. I am most inclined to try this stuff.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

[quote name='blackvenom5' timestamp='1338978138' post='1448078']
I am thinking about doing this to my trim as well. I was originally going to go with di-noc (probably because i am a fool for brand names), but after reading this i wonder if there is something out there with a bit stronger adhesive. Also if I do it I guess I suppose I should plan on removing and wrapping behind.

tonyb, was it one of these two that you were thinking about?
http://neffywrap.com/index.php?main_...78v40lq480cjf5

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Black-...metro3d6in.htm
the metrostyling stuff says it holds up to 201*F vs di-nocs 150*F. I am most inclined to try this stuff.
Yeah, I looked at several members on here that used it and their cars looked great. I think mine came out ok and was pleased with it, but like I said there are some areas of lifting. I'm guessing because the 3M Dinoc is a bit thicker and more rigid but it looks so nice! I am not aware of the other two samples that you show but the last one (Metro) is where I got mine from. I will be calling them to see if I can get a few samples to try. Member Antti did his in a brush aluminum and of course everything he does is always so perfect, just makes us all jealous...! In one of his posts he also mentions the thickness and flexibility of the Dinoc and felt the material he used was thinner and better for higher stress areas. I think it was a wet application process though. I'm gonna have to search for it and read it again.
Vinyl Wrap on gray interior-carbon-ip1.jpg