E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vibration when brakes at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i Black/ Smoked LED side markers/ CF kidney Grille/ Shadowline Trim/Miro 346 V2/General Exclaim 19"/CF Badges/H&R Sport Springs/ Koni FSD shocks/struts/R1 Concepts Drilled & Slotted Rotors/ Hawk Pads/ Mtec V2 lights/

Yea when my rotors come in Im having the shop check my suspension, make sure nothings loose, as well as re-balance the front wheels. If that doesnt do the trick its going to the stealership under warranty.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Members

I got a After market 19' Rims. i just got it road force balance when put it on.. OH... now i remember when i was in the winter wheels i notice abit of vibration when brakes at higher speed. but not as strong as i these summer wheels.

What could it possibly be?

what are the potential costs here?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chhay24
I got a After market 19' Rims. i just got it road force balance when put it on.. OH... now i remember when i was in the winter wheels i notice abit of vibration when brakes at higher speed. but not as strong as i these summer wheels.

What could it possibly be?

what are the potential costs here?

i think you need hub rings for the wheels

most aftermarket rims are not the correct hub bore size and are usually bigger, causing high speed vibration. The difference is only milimeters but as you can feel, its a big difference.

If your wheels are not bent, your tires dont have bulges then I would check with the wheel company for your wheels and see what hub size they bored the wheels out to
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

+1 exactly why i asked if you had aftermarket wheels. you probably need hub rings. i do sell them but you'll have to let me know what kind of aftermarket wheels you bought.

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
i think you need hub rings for the wheels

most aftermarket rims are not the correct hub bore size and are usually bigger, causing high speed vibration. The difference is only milimeters but as you can feel, its a big difference.

If your wheels are not bent, your tires dont have bulges then I would check with the wheel company for your wheels and see what hub size they bored the wheels out to
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Is the vibration ONLY when braking? Check the front end of the car for backlash. If something is loose, it needs replacing. However, if you feel the brunt of the vibration in the pedal and wheel, there isnt much else that could be your issue, other than the rotors. Easy way to tell is to put them on a brake lathe and just spin them. I dont know much about the rotors you have, but are they cross drilled and/or power slotted? If so, they cannot be machined. If they are just flat surface rotors, they are able to be machined. Should cost you an hours labor at any shop.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 05545i
Is the vibration ONLY when braking? Check the front end of the car for backlash. If something is loose, it needs replacing. However, if you feel the brunt of the vibration in the pedal and wheel, there isnt much else that could be your issue, other than the rotors. Easy way to tell is to put them on a brake lathe and just spin them. I dont know much about the rotors you have, but are they cross drilled and/or power slotted? If so, they cannot be machined. If they are just flat surface rotors, they are able to be machined. Should cost you an hours labor at any shop.
Only vibrate with breaking.

Interesting found today. so i went on the freeway and doing 100 to an exit where theres no cars around i slam on the break.. and there are NO virbration AT all, the car STOP real good. i did it a couple times, and the second try around 80. and theres abit on the steering wheel. i did not notice any vibration at all at the pedal.