E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vibration when brakes at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the title says it all... speed around 80 km/h +

some additional info:
Got it and used it for since last summer.. it is R1 concepts PREM.

did some research could the the rotors are wrapped already...?!?!?! from what i've heard from then they are very good rotors

what are the possible problem ?

Oh.. if it makes any different. i did installed it myself.. everything went smooth..

thanks in advance guys
Old 04-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by chhay24
the title says it all... speed around 80 km/h +

some additional info:
Got it and used it for since last summer.. it is R1 concepts PREM.

did some research could the the rotors are wrapped already...?!?!?! from what i've heard from then they are very good rotors

what are the possible problem ?

Oh.. if it makes any different. i did installed it myself.. everything went smooth..

thanks in advance guys
it could be a couple of things. assuming you do not feel vibration in the steering wheel and only on the brake pedal or in the floor area or in your seat. the rotors could have been already out of round when you purchased them. also did you clean and lubricate the caliper sliders and caliper braket where the pads sit. if they were cleand or lubricated this could cause uneven wear on your pads and will also cause vibration in you brake pedal. depending on the condition of you previous rotors. the pads were already worn to the grooves of the original rotors. when u put new rotors on, that could cause your pads to form a new wearing pattern. which could also be a problem. good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

roger gave a lot of good suggestions! how did you break in the pads? if you didn't break in the pads & rotors properly that could cause premature wear.

you need to do 3-4 hard stops from 45-35-45 miles. this way it creates a layer of brake pad material between the pad and the rotor. if you don't do this it'll create a pad to metal scenario which can lead to heat spots eventually causing uneven rotors.

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by bmwroger1
it could be a couple of things. assuming you do not feel vibration in the steering wheel and only on the brake pedal or in the floor area or in your seat. the rotors could have been already out of round when you purchased them. also did you clean and lubricate the caliper sliders and caliper braket where the pads sit. if they were cleand or lubricated this could cause uneven wear on your pads and will also cause vibration in you brake pedal. depending on the condition of you previous rotors. the pads were already worn to the grooves of the original rotors. when u put new rotors on, that could cause your pads to form a new wearing pattern. which could also be a problem. good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

I do feel the vibration in the steering wheels. in fact, there are alot of vibration on the steering wheel. again only vibrate at higher speed.

So, the steering wheel also vibrate does it mean the rotor is wrapped?

I shall try the hard stop..!

I will let you know the result.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor

If your rotors are warped, doing the hard stops won't help you. You'll need new rotors.

I do feel the vibration in the steering wheels. in fact, there are alot of vibration on the steering wheel. again only vibrate at higher speed.

So, the steering wheel also vibrate does it mean the rotor is wrapped?

I shall try the hard stop..!

I will let you know the result.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

so there are vibration in the steering wheel, means that my rotors are wrapped? how do i confirm it?

thanks

Oh, i also replace the pad when i change the rotors
Old 04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Former Vendor

Usually when your rotors are warped, you only feel vibration from the brake pedal. You might have another problem. Are you using OEM wheels or aftermarket?

Michael
Acute Performance

so there are vibration in the steering wheel, means that my rotors are wrapped? how do i confirm it?

thanks

Oh, i also replace the pad when i change the rotors
Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i Black/ Smoked LED side markers/ CF kidney Grille/ Shadowline Trim/Miro 346 V2/General Exclaim 19"/CF Badges/H&R Sport Springs/ Koni FSD shocks/struts/R1 Concepts Drilled & Slotted Rotors/ Hawk Pads/ Mtec V2 lights/

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Usually when your rotors are warped, you only feel vibration from the brake pedal. You might have another problem. Are you using OEM wheels or aftermarket?

Michael
Acute Performance
Mine is doing the same thing, thats why I ordered the Hawks and new rotors, hopefully thats what the cause is.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Former Vendor

I hope that's not the only reason because I don't think his vibration issues are due to warped rotors.

Originally Posted by gbaty0001
Mine is doing the same thing, thats why I ordered the Hawks and new rotors, hopefully thats what the cause is.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you could have other issues, such as sloppy wheel bearings or loose suspension components that could cause a whobble, but my money would be on the rotors being warped.

Quick Reply: Vibration when brakes at high speed