E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

vibration - HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to u all E60 owners

... After reading everything that was posted on this forum related
to VIBRATIONS I decided to post / ask for your help, hoping to
get this frustrating issue of mine solved once for all.

... So here is my story - had new RFT Pzero Nero installed 2 months ago (sport package + 18" OEM wheels)
As soon as I reach 120 km/h (75mph) my silver arrow :-) developes a slight
but noticeable vibration (ooh God, how much I hate these vibrations ) :-)

... Here is what I've done so far:
- tires checked for defects
- wheels balanced 3 times - twice dynamic / static balancing and 3 rd time with a Road Hunter machine
- wheels alignment - twice
- front brake rotors and pads replaced ( C tek rotors + Akebono ceramic pads)

and NO results, vibration is still there. I can feel it in my dashboard, in my seat, even in the passanger seat.
What else should I consider / investigate ??
Needless to say, any HELP is greatly appreciated

THANK YOU !!!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Does the car sit for long periods of time without driving? Could they be flat spotted? Maybe the tires are "cupped". Have you checked your tire pressure? Maybe a suspension issue? Have you checked your wheels? Could have a bent wheel. An out of round wheel could casue the vibrations as well.

Oh and Welcome to the Forums!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Did you have this issue before you changed your tires? If not then it's the tire or tires they may be out of round. You state that you have the tires on the OEM wheels but you changed the rotors and brake pads. Was it doing this before the the new rotors and pads? You've changed those and tried several wheel balances and alignments but you have not tried changing the tires. I think your problem lies in the tires , only if you did not have these problems prior to switching them.

Rick...
Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Are the wheels true, meening you have not hit a pot whole or curbed it.
Have you had the belts on the tires checked.

One of my friends E39's has a horrid vibration at 50mph , but it goes away above or below that speed, he was told that the belt could be damaged, and I have had similar problems drivign back an forth on I20.
Finaly switched out the tires and all was good, even though I had the bad set rotated /ballanced/ checked....

Wheel barring could be another thing to look at.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i' post='600356' date='Jun 11 2008, 08:33 AM
Does the car sit for long periods of time without driving? Could they be flat spotted? Maybe the tires are "cupped". Have you checked your tire pressure? Maybe a suspension issue? Have you checked your wheels? Could have a bent wheel. An out of round wheel could casue the vibrations as well.

Oh and Welcome to the Forums!
- I drive it daily - mostly city driving and the potential flat spots should go away driving 4-5 blocks
- Tire pressure checked
- Wheels (rims) checked w/o tires for out of roundness
- As for suspension -> shocks checked for leaks, springs look OK

Thank you for your reply, it feels good to have someone to share the pain with :-)
Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='600380' date='Jun 11 2008, 09:39 AM
Are the wheels true, meening you have not hit a pot whole or curbed it.
Have you had the belts on the tires checked.

One of my friends E39's has a horrid vibration at 50mph , but it goes away above or below that speed, he was told that the belt could be damaged, and I have had similar problems drivign back an forth on I20.
Finaly switched out the tires and all was good, even though I had the bad set rotated /ballanced/ checked....

Wheel barring could be another thing to look at.
- wheel bearings checked while replacing the rotors. They're fine.

Not sure how to check the belts. Is it done visually or it's more of a specialized testing involved ?

Thank you
Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='600363' date='Jun 11 2008, 09:04 AM
Did you have this issue before you changed your tires? If not then it's the tire or tires they may be out of round. You state that you have the tires on the OEM wheels but you changed the rotors and brake pads. Was it doing this before the the new rotors and pads? You've changed those and tried several wheel balances and alignments but you have not tried changing the tires. I think your problem lies in the tires , only if you did not have these problems prior to switching them.

Rick...
Vibration and noise coming from front end prior to changing the tires. The front ones where worn and replacing them
solved the noise but not the vibration.
Perhaps the next move should be - back to dealership and try to get a set of wheels for testing purpose.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Just remember....vibration in the seats as well as the steering wheel means something is up in your rear suspension also.

Vibrations like these on newer cars without suspension problems are almost ALWAYS due to the tires and/or wheels having issues. Typically a Road force balance should find any tire or wheel related issues, so I am not sure what's up with your car. You'll have to try a new set of rims/wheels to really rule out your current ones, assuming everything else has been tried.

Also, do you have stock springs or is it lowered? You could be riding on the bumpstops if they weren't cut enough...causes all of the issues you talk about above...I would know about this!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='600458' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:43 AM
Just remember....vibration in the seats as well as the steering wheel means something is up in your rear suspension also.

Vibrations like these on newer cars without suspension problems are almost ALWAYS due to the tires and/or wheels having issues. Typically a Road force balance should fine any tire or wheel related issues, so I am not sure what's up with your car. You'll have to try a new set of rims/wheels to really rule out your current ones, assuming everything else has been tried.

Also, do you have stock springs or is it lowered?
This will be my next move, try a new set of rims
As for the springs, they're not stock, car has been lowered
Am I right to assume this should be the order to solve the vibrations 1 - wheels/ rims / tires 2 - suspension 3 - driveshafts ?
The only thing I don't understand, how suspension could cause steady vibrations at high speed ?

Thank you
Old 06-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributors

ahhh, the springs.

Sometimes a "wheel place" will put the springs on backwards, which can cause vibration. The problem is when you go back to the same place that did not know what they were doing the first time. They will naturally not spot their horrific work.

Is your service provider very experienced with lowering high end cars?

I had vibration on replica wheels even though the wheels and tires separately tested well on a hunter machine. Mine turned out to be the wheels even though they tested well.

If you are confident that wheels and tires are good, then try the springs. You have already stated that this is the one variable that you created.

Best regards and I hope all turns out ok.

Quick Reply: vibration - HELP !!!