E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Very, very sad news...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It is with deep regret and a heavy heart that I must announce the passing of one of our oldest and finest forum members.

"JDN" has lost his long battle with cancer and has most certainly moved on to a better place. As many of you may have noticed, JDN was not very active on the forums recently but I imagine that most of you did not know that he was having health problems. He and I had some private communications about this and he had asked me to keep the information in confidence so I honored his wishes and remained silent about his condition during his final weeks. His last visit to the forums was on June 30th and his last private communication with me was on June 24th, just minutes after his last public posting which can be seen here. It was evident to me from that last public post that he was weak and not able to participate much any more but he found the strength to send me one last private message which explained that he was having more bad days than good and that he could only be on the board for a few minutes at a time.

I know some of you will be as saddened as I am after learning the news and I'm sorry to be the one who delivers this message. andy545, I know you and your wife had the opportunity to meet JDN while you visited Dallas. I'm sure you'll agree that the two of you were lucky to have spent time with such a great individual.

It's amazing -- I'm sitting here in tears, mourning a man that I never met personally yet I consider him a close friend. I know from his messages to me that he considered me a close friend as well. The internet (and E60.net) is truly an amazing thing -- it allows for people who share a common interest to become close without ever meeting face to face or speaking to one another!

I don't know what else to say at this point except to say JDN, we will miss you! May your memory be eternal!!
Bye bye, my friend!

The following obituary appeared in the Dallas Morning News on Thursday:

Very, very sad news...-jdn.jpg
NICHOLSON, JAMES D. Born July 2, 1926 in Quincy, Florida, and raised on a tobacco plantation near Havana, Florida. He attended Havana High School, served as president of his senior class, and graduated at 16 years of age in 1943. As past president of Texas State Rifle Association, he tried to lead in a direction that would reach the organization's potential. He served six years since retirement on the National Rifle Association board of directors. He was a state certified concealed handgun instructor and taught classes at the Dallas Pistol Club since the inception of the CHL in 1995. After service in the Navy in WWII, he graduated from the University of Florida in 1949 and an avid supporter of Gator Nation sports. His career began with the Florida Forest Service and culminated with 40 years of service with International Paper Co. Jim was preceded in death by his parents, James M. and Ann Carraway Nicholson and brother, Paul Nicholson, all of Quincy, FL. Survived by his wife, Barbara; two children, Elizabeth A. Nicholson of Tampa, FL and Mark D. Nicholson of Denver, CO; three step-children, Susan S. Townsend and Sherry S. Lee of Mobile, AL and Stephen L. Small of Rincon, GA; and two sisters, Doris Bert of Havana, FL and Mary Ann Rigby of Litchfield, SC. Memorial service at Salem United Methodist Church in Havana, FL at 11:00 on Sat. 7-14-07. Burial will be at the Nicholson-Freeman cemetery in Gadsden County, FL. , CHARLES MCCLELLAN FUNERAL HOME in charge of arrangements 15 S. Jackson Street Quincy, Florida 32351 850-627-7677

(If anyone is interested, you may click here to be taken to his online guest book and click here to be taken to his online obituary.)
Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohh no, sad news in our forums Rudy.

JDN was a great member here, with very interesting posts/instructions which I always read. I was very impressed with his ability to deal with technology and computers for a person at his age.

Andy has more things to tell about him, as he met him in person in Dallas.

Here is a pic of Jim with his beauty, that he PM'd me on his birthday's day last year.

God bless you friend, wherever you are now. We will miss you!

Very, very sad news...-jim.jpg
Old 07-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad news indeed. May he rest in peace, a very important and experienced member passed away and i didn't even realize until now that JDN was that ill. I don't know, for whatever reason i always considered him to be much much younger, and so you've got to respect that.

God bless him and keep him by His side.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

very sad.... he is no longer suffering and now pain free.. he will be missed and im am glad that there are forum members here who have comforted him and communicated with him during his last weeks..ericd
Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Very sad news indeed.I have had the pleasure of communicating with him in the forums and privatley.He was a true gentleman who always had something good to add to a topic or a conversation.He will be missed greatly.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

May He Rest In Peace
Old 07-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Bad news. May he rest in piece.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

My condolences to his family.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Rest in peace, JDN.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

I didn't really know James but such a loss is very sad for friends here and family. May his soul be bound up in the bond of life.

Quick Reply: Very, very sad news...