E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Unhappy!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

As some of you know, my car has been in for the past six days, having the mp3 enabled, a faulty rear speaker replaced, rattling rear parcel shelf replaced & a stone chip touch up, as well as the i-drive controller replacing for the 06MY leather topped one.

This is the 2nd time my car has been off the road for nearly a week, as they had the car for 6 days the week before, upgrading the CIP to 20.02 & retro-fitting the Extended Voice Control. It's just one problem after another.

I get a call this morning (3 hours before i'm due to finally get my hopefully now perfect car back) saying that a Restraint Fault (airbag & seatbelts etc) has shown up on the i-drive display. I've never had this happen before, but given the car has only been owned by me for 4 weeks, but the dealer has had the car in for 2 of those, i guess i'd not have much chance to get any faults myself. I was then called an hour later saying they had reset the system & everything was fine. The Service Manager was going to take my car for a quick drive to double check everything was OK before i arrive to collect the car.

Thinking all is well, i turn up to collect my car, get told everything is perfect & head out to the car-park with a big grin on my face to be re-united with her. Start the car up all excited & the i-drive screen shows up the big Restraint Fault Warning & thus pretty much disables all i-drive functionality. I then go back inside, now fuming & they suggest i keep the loaner for a few more days & they'll fix it again, by now i'm ready to start punching people.

So they still have my car, i'm still in their E90 320i ES loaner & they have until 10am on Monday to fix this & allow me to collect my car in perfect condition, or i'll be returning the keys & getting them to stuff the car where the sun does not shine.

Ps. Not 100% sure about this new i-drive controller. I only ordered it to give the interior a full update to MY06 spec but although the leather/plastic top does match up very well with the seats & armrest etc, the metal is quite a bit darker than the Aluminium one originally fitted & although the new one more matches the exterior colour (Silver Grey), it does not match up with the interior metal (Aluminium Cube or whatever it's called. Maybe it will grow on me & i still of course have the original if i want to switch back, assuming i keep this car.

That's my rant over. But within the next 72 hours i may be changing my car.

Ps. mp3 does now work, although what of the display i could see (white text at the very bottom of the display) it just showed title as MP3 5/6/7 depending on the track number. Their may have been more visible in the main display or perhaps like the E90's you have the option to show track list, but who knows, i'll just have to wait.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 545i, 2004. Alpine white, ventilated seats, confort seats, bluetooth, HI-FI Audio, Electrical Rear Blinds, manual Side blinds, Sport Package, Confort Glass,Active steering, Business Navigation

Look at the bright side of the story,

instead of building all these Kms on your E60 you are building it on the loaner...

There is always a good side be optimistic

Old 03-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Soory to hear. But seems BMW has made a lot of software upgrades on the CIP 20 and some E60s a renot reacting well to it( yours for instance). SOmce have their CCC (car communications center) replaced, some otherones trigger faulty errors, etc. The bright side is CIP20 is good, knock on wood I have had not more problems for a while but i miss my SA now ... so sit tight, rack up mile son the loaner, practice your drivng skills on the loaner, etc so when you are back with your car ..you are a pro
Old 03-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Well i hope it's something & nothing. I was so looking forward to getting her back in perfect condition & with everything working. Also got DMS coming on Monday to re re-map the car, as the CIP 20.02 upgrade wiped the original map & although they're doing the re re-map for free, if the car needs more software work they will no doubt wipe the map again.

What i did find odd, is that the on screen error, basicallt disables the i-drive screen, as the warning can't be removed with anything other than a full re-set, so no point me taking the car with the warning message showing, as you lose all functionality via i-drive.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

It's hard to complain too hard about how much time your car has spent at the dealer when it sounds like a good part of why it's there is you wanting add-ons like changing the idrive knob (how many hp did you get from that change ) and enabling MP3 playback and fixing a stone chip.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:01 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='249724' date='Mar 4 2006, 04:41 PM
Also got DMS coming on Monday to re re-map the car,
If you do not mind me asking, how much did the remap cost?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='249734' date='Mar 4 2006, 12:23 PM
It's hard to complain too hard about how much time your car has spent at the dealer when it sounds like a good part of why it's there is you wanting add-ons like changing the idrive knob (how many hp did you get from that change ) and enabling MP3 playback and fixing a stone chip.
Not very helpful.

The work i've requested & paid for took a matter of a few hours, not the 13 days that my car has been off the road.

If it were my requests that had held things up then fair enough, however the CIP upgrade & mp3 enabling was a condition of sale that they never did & it's obviously software issues that are causing this latest problem, in fact all the problems really. I've paid for the add-ons & they are all fine, however the car's software is not, hardly my fault & fully the car or dealers fault i think you'll find.

Can't see that changing my i-drive controller & painting a stone chip could cause a restraint fault, do you?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='249751' date='Mar 4 2006, 01:01 PM
If you do not mind me asking, how much did the remap cost?
?750 (home-fitting). If you're a registered member on BMWLand.co.uk you get a 25% discount.

As my software was wiped during the CIP upgrade, DMS will re-do the re-map free of charge.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='249683' date='Mar 4 2006, 10:51 AM
Ps. Not 100% sure about this new i-drive controller. I only ordered it to give the interior a full update to MY06 spec but although the leather/plastic top does match up very well with the seats & armrest etc, the metal is quite a bit darker than the Aluminium one originally fitted & although the new one more matches the exterior colour (Silver Grey), it does not match up with the interior metal (Aluminium Cube or whatever it's called. Maybe it will grow on me & i still of course have the original if i want to switch back, assuming i keep this car.
Thanks for this info, I wanted to order the leather topped controller, but I think I'll hold off and stick with the original.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Markymark' post='249883' date='Mar 4 2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for this info, I wanted to order the leather topped controller, but I think I'll hold off and stick with the original.
If you have the Aluminium Cube, then you may feel it does not match as well as the original. I think with some of the wood facia options, the newer i-drive controller probably looks better. I'll wait till i get the car back & see if it grows on me.

Does anyone know if all 2006/7 models have this newer controller & if so, is Aluminium Cube still the standard facia for M-Sports cars?