E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

very poor mpg from 525D auto 2005 177bhp

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='777430' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:06 AM
do a search on hidden and menu and you'll find it.
I have done, and found the following - neither of which leads me to be able to see engine temp that I can see - please post sequence to follow:

For confirmation I have tried the following:

Hidden iDrive Menu (which I thought was incorrect but tried anyway)

1. Push down i-Drive knob for approx 8 sec
2. Turn right 3 clicks
3. Turn left 3 clicks
4. Turn right 1 click
5. Turn left 1 click
6. Turn right 1 click
7. Push down i-Drive knob

Can get into the above menu but as I thought this is not what you're referring to.

Hidden OBC Function Access

1. Ensure the E60 is off
2. Hold the trip computer reset button and press the start/stop button
3. Release the trip computer reset button
4. 1._ _ appears in the instrument cluster display
5. Quickly press the trip computer reset button and release
6. 2._ _ appears in the instrument cluster display
7. Wait ~ 1 sec until 2.00 appears in the instrument cluster display
8. Press the trip computer reset button and release

Again, I can get into the above menu, but nowhere can I see the Engine Temp? Am I missing something or is there another sequence? For clarity, I have looked in menu 1.-- (there is various things listed here) and 2.-- (this is a dash check sequence), and there appears to be nothing in the rest 3.-- to 21.--
Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Members

OBC menu is what I am talking about.

Doesn't matter if engine is running or off whith contact in pos II.

It takes some reading but it really is on this forum, that is how I found out.

ok here's a brief howto;

Press and hold trip reset button, after triangle you will see vehicle no. note down last 5 digits and add the numbers.
Press and hold trip reset buttong again intill you see menu 01 with __ underscore characters. Quickly after that release reset button and press it a few times until you hit menu 19. Release button and wait till you see 00 appear. Keep pressing reset button til you have entered the value you calculated from your vehicle no. Now menu is unlocked.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Contributors

would a temp reading of 70 as opposed to 90 deg, make any difference to the fuel economy generally ?
cold engine would but i would not think that 70 is untowards at the moment/climate wise?
dont forget all engines will run at differing temps, especially after 35 miles, if it was cold outside/rainy, driving fast etc
i have a gut feeling that its a fueling problem, if the maf was faulty you would experiance running problems also.
is it "over fueling?" do you have excessive black smoke?

my 535d runs quite a bit cooler than my 530d, diesels generally run cooler than petrol engines, due to the cooling nature / lubrication of the fuel
Old 01-26-2009, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='777449' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:28 PM
would a temp reading of 70 as opposed to 90 deg, make any difference to the fuel economy generally ?
cold engine would but i would not think that 70 is untowards at the moment/climate wise?
dont forget all engines will run at differing temps, especially after 35 miles, if it was cold outside/rainy, driving fast etc
i have a gut feeling that its a fueling problem, if the maf was faulty you would experiance running problems also.
is it "over fueling?" do you have excessive black smoke?

my 535d runs quite a bit cooler than my 530d, diesels generally run cooler than petrol engines, due to the cooling nature / lubrication of the fuel
I don't know if temperature being down from 90 deg - 70 deg would make a difference to economy or not, but I would suspect it may do. Although I don't know what my car typically runs at (hence my interest in my past few posts on this so I can check) I do know that during the recent 'colder weather' here in the UK my cars economy has dropped by a couple of MPG - nothing major, but noticeable none the less. I have put this down to the colder temperatures. Does this sound feasible?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Members

Mini me,

Have you tried to calculate the MPG by hand? i.e. resetting the trip computer when you fill up and making a note of the fuel pumped against the miles you have travelled?

Also have you tried resetting the journey computer when you are on the motorway, say travelling between two or more junctions?

Dave,

0 MPG is theoretically possible, when you cover zero distance and use any amount of fuel, as below:

0 miles
------------- = 0MPG
0.2 Gallons

You can put any number on the bottom (with the exception of 0) and get 0MPG. The car may not be able to calculate this, but maths is maths and 0MPG is the result. next time I?m on the circular car-park that encases London (M25), I?ll try it.

Regards
Dom
Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributors

i hear you mate.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Contributors

Has anyone that had a software upgrade noticed that the fuel consumption (or the fuel consumption OBC display) is different? I was getting 13.3L/100km (about 21.7 UK MPG) for the 3 months I've owned the car. Driving around, I'd never see that 13.3 number changed, which considering it was averaging over 3 months makes sense.

Since I got it back, of course everything was reset, so I'm averaging from a fresh start. I've noticed that my average is now 15.9L/100km (that'll be under 20 UK MPG) and it varies dramatically. I've done about 100 miles since I got my car back, so I'm expecting the number to be slower and slower to react to real-time driving conditions as every mile goes by, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I was driving at about 60mph up a mile long hill, so the fuel economy needle was way over to the right almost all the time (as expected), and my average figure showed up on the OBC as 17L/100km. I wouldn't expect one mile (after 100 miles) to have such an impact on the average. It's almost as if the fuel economy feature on the OBC is now changed to be "the average of the last 3 miles" instead of "the average since the last reset of the reset button".

I know I can remove all doubt by measuring how much fuel I have to put in the tank and comparing it with the distance covered, but I'm at least 250 miles away from having to do that, and with my schedule over the next few weeks I don't see me having to fill up at least for the next two weeks. Even if I only half fill the tank, that's still a week away.

Has anyone else noticed either a real change in fuel usage or a change in the OBC reported fuel usage since a software update?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by latho' post='777514' date='Jan 26 2009, 04:07 PM
Mini me,

Have you tried to calculate the MPG by hand? i.e. resetting the trip computer when you fill up and making a note of the fuel pumped against the miles you have travelled?

Also have you tried resetting the journey computer when you are on the motorway, say travelling between two or more junctions?

Regards
Dom
Yes I have culculated the brim to brim consumption a few times, isn't far of the journey computer.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='777438' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:11 PM
OBC menu is what I am talking about.

Doesn't matter if engine is running or off whith contact in pos II.

It takes some reading but it really is on this forum, that is how I found out.

ok here's a brief howto;

Press and hold trip reset button, after triangle you will see vehicle no. note down last 5 digits and add the numbers.
Press and hold trip reset buttong again intill you see menu 01 with __ underscore characters. Quickly after that release reset button and press it a few times until you hit menu 19. Release button and wait till you see 00 appear. Keep pressing reset button til you have entered the value you calculated from your vehicle no. Now menu is unlocked.
from this it shows how to unlock the menu but once unlocked but once unlocked which menu is the temp?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by parmblagan' post='778761' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:15 PM
from this it shows how to unlock the menu but once unlocked but once unlocked which menu is the temp?
I think it's menu 7.

Quick Reply: very poor mpg from 525D auto 2005 177bhp