E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

very poor mpg from 525D auto 2005 177bhp

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys

i think this topic has been covered before but still doesnt really answer the questions.

a brime to brime test report that i get about 21.4mpg around town. this means only get about 300 miles on the full tank, the car very rarely goes on the motorway. i use the car to go to work and get back home which is 6 mile round trip through town. i have had the car for for about 7 minths now and thats mpg has always been the same.

are the above figures ok good, or should i get more mpg?

been reading other posts on this forum and other forums and members are reporting back much higher figures. about 30mpg average

yes i have checked the idrive for the uk mpg and my tyres are at the correct pressure. my driving style is none agressive, boring you could say

i am really tempted to book her in at the dealers but they will probally take my money and tell they didnt find anything wrong!

can you expert tell me if there is anything i can change or modify to get more mpg. already tried cleaning the MAF but didnt change anything.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Contributors

there is something wrong here, its either a problem with your car...or with the way you are driving her?
you should be getting around 35 urban.
my 530d returns 38 urban, and the 535d gets close to 40mpg (its been remapped)
Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

My 177 hp 520dA uses around 6,6 l / 100 km's.

There must be something wrong with your cars engine setup.

When did you serv it?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Members

I have a very similar spec and I have to say, around town, this time of year (cold here in the UK) those figures sound about right. This is a big heavy car, especially with the auto, you are using a lot of energy to get it moving, the engine wont be fully warm in 6miles and throw in heated screens, aircon etc to demist the car. Low 20s sounds about right for this car.

A good way of seeing how bad these can be in this sort of environment, is reset the fuel computer in the middle of town and watch how it never gets above 20ish as you stop start, pull away in low gears.

For the record, after 33,000 miles in 16 months, mine does 34mpg a mixture of motorway cruising, A roads, short runs and traffic. The best from one tank is 39mpg on the motorway, cruise set to 75mph/80mph the worst 25mpg, week spent around town in traffic, short journeys etc.

These arent great cars for runing round town in I am afraid - they look good though if that helps and at slow speed people can see you for longer
Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Thiswayup' post='773536' date='Jan 21 2009, 07:29 PM
This is a big heavy car,
The E60 is actually a very light car for its size.

It weighs only 1,600 kg's as empty thanks to the
fully aluminum/magesium front and engines.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Members

Sounds about right to me, given that in 6 miles it won't be up to temperature and urban driving, diesels will use about similar amounts to a petrol. It's on the highway, constant speed that it will show. When warm, take it out on the highway and drive 70mph for a few miles and measure it, should give about 35-40 mpg (Imperial gallons...).
Old 01-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by parmblagan' post='773370' date='Jan 21 2009, 01:53 PM
hi guys

i think this topic has been covered before but still doesnt really answer the questions.

a brime to brime test report that i get about 21.4mpg around town. this means only get about 300 miles on the full tank, the car very rarely goes on the motorway. i use the car to go to work and get back home which is 6 mile round trip through town. i have had the car for for about 7 minths now and thats mpg has always been the same.

are the above figures ok good, or should i get more mpg?

been reading other posts on this forum and other forums and members are reporting back much higher figures. about 30mpg average

yes i have checked the idrive for the uk mpg and my tyres are at the correct pressure. my driving style is none agressive, boring you could say

i am really tempted to book her in at the dealers but they will probally take my money and tell they didnt find anything wrong!

can you expert tell me if there is anything i can change or modify to get more mpg. already tried cleaning the MAF but didnt change anything.
The pre-LCI (pre March 2007) 525d's with the 2.5d engine - particularly auto's - are noted to be much worse on fuel than the later LCI 525d's with the 3.0d detuned engine.

I would still have said 20 mpg or there abouts is very poor even around town, but not having ever driven or owned one I can't be sure. All I can say (which won't help you) is that my LCI manual 525d averages high 30's even around town and high 40's even low 50's on a motorway cruise easily. That said, in recent weeks as the temperatures have dropped here in the UK and become much colder (I'm sure "Anzafin" would laugh at me describing the UK as "cold") I have noticed a drop of typically 2-3mpg myself.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Contributors

jeremy clarkson proved on top gear that bigger engines can SOMETIMES return better/more mpg than there smaller engine brothers, because the engine is not working so hard and it gets to its crusing speed much faster..
but the E60 is a light car for its size.

i still think its not right for your car though...have you thought about a remap?? always gets you more mpg.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Members

I've got a 2005 530d that returns an average of 30-35mpg with an average speed of about 40MPH. My comute to work is also 6 miles, but that's all done out of the town and in zero traffic.

What sort of average speed are you getting, I would expect around 20MPG if you are sitting in traffic for an hour a day.

Dom
Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My goddam 530 2004 gets 15 miles per gallon right now. No idea why but its horrible. Its like a Fking Hummer. Summer it averaged like 20.

What can cause low miles per gallon???????????????????????

Quick Reply: very poor mpg from 525D auto 2005 177bhp