E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Very frustrated, taking it to the streets

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by gregi30' post='494744' date='Nov 15 2007, 09:38 PM
They gave me every excuse in the book why they could not reprogram my idrive,
which was crashing every few days.

All this shit because of
"10/23/07 took the car in to the dealer because I could not shift into reverse with 800 miles on it"

What does a man do without a car?

"every excuse in the book " just doesn't do it.

I have the same attitude problem with my new car dealer.

I will tell him to fu** off tomorrow if the price isn't right.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My new shift lever arrived today. The installation of the lever requires a progman update so I'm getting that now...
Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Contributors

Good luck ... !
Old 11-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Originally Posted by gregi30' post='494715' date='Nov 15 2007, 10:42 AM
I received a call from the dealer this AM. They should have the part in their posession first thing Fri morning. If all goes well, I should be getting my car back either Fri afternoon or Mon the latest.

I will still demand that I be compensated for the time that the car was off the road.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

I will update once I get more info.
Make sure you test everything before heading home. With the SA sitting next to you:
1. Start the car, make U turn, park the car, open and close the windows, test iDrive, Navi, all loaded options, etc...
2. Stop the car and repeat #1 one more time.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='494628' date='Nov 15 2007, 07:14 AM
I'll add my US$0.02 regarding Lemon Law buybacks. I had a 2006 Lexus GS300 AWD that in two years spent 7% of it's entire life in service (i.e. I was driving loaners).

I wrote a very nice letter to Lexus asking them to either buy my car back or replace it. Their very polite letter back to me basically ended with "... and the horse you rode in on."

A week after submitting the Lemon Law paperwork, they called and said they would buy the car back.

My point? It isn't just BMW that waits until they HAVE to do something.

PS: Loving my new 535i.

Good point and I'm envious about your "love affair" with your new 535 as mine doesn't seem to be ever going to arrive...
Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by gregi30' post='494715' date='Nov 15 2007, 12:42 PM
I received a call from the dealer this AM. They should have the part in their posession first thing Fri morning. If all goes well, I should be getting my car back either Fri afternoon or Mon the latest.

I will still demand that I be compensated for the time that the car was off the road.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

I will update once I get more info.
I am sure that BMW NA will make you whole on this for the time that you did without your car. My 04 545 sat in the vehicle prep center waiting for a recalled part that was on back order for 3 weeks. With persistence on my part and asking for a customer service manager they waived the lease payment for that month.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 AM
Members

Hi all

I'm gonna go against the grain here and summarize a few things......

1. Your car had a problem, you took it in to the dealer and they're waiting for a part
2. They gave you a loaner so you could still get about on a daily basis
3. You don't like the loaner
4. You feel that the dealer should magically materialize the part required or take it off another car
5. You feel that the delay in part arrival justifies replacement of the car after 3 weeks wait
6. You've 'lawyer'd up' straight away
7. You're going to war with the dealer
8. You want compensation.....

Having just spent some time in the states, it struck me how quickly people scream compensation when commonsense says otherwise....

1. It's fantasy that the dealer is deliberately keeping your car because they want to get back at you
2. Lemon Law (as I understand it) applies when the vehicle has the same defect occurring more than 3 times, not one that is waiting on a delayed part
3. Delays happen, it's a bitch missing out on your car but that does not make it the dealers fault because they are waiting on your part
4. You could have gone in to see the dealer and asked for a better loaner since it was taking so long
5. You could have asked exactly what was the part required and then dug around at other dealers yourself to see if they were being tardy
6. You could have met with the Service Manager, found out exactly what was going on, what was being done about it, how long it would take and how could they make the issue easier for you

Before flying out to LA, we'd heard so many stories about delays, rude service, airports etc....while we were there we had the attitude that it wasn't a problem and if there was a drama it would be sorted out amicably. You know we had the best fun and every thing fell into place. The people around us we saw being demanding, rude and plain arrogant got s#%...

Don't get me wrong, I've just spent 18 months at war with BMW about my 4.8is X5 that went right up to board level in Germany before it was resolved..... all the while I was thinking that they must get so many people who threaten and scream legal action for any inconvenience that makes genuine lemons like mine a fair mission to have resolved......

Cheers

PS. Also noticed that the BMW dealerships are pretty small and inconsequential compared to the operations run down under (here)... maybe that has something to do with the service you all complain about
Old 11-16-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Sorry buddy, but you are assuming that this guys dealer treated him right, and the fact is that they did not. The OP did the right thing by giving the dealer AND BMWNA multiple chances to make things right, and they did not. Whether this was intentional or not, does not matter. He didnt have his car when promised and that justifies his actions. Seeing that you took 18 months to resolve a lemon issue with BMW says a lot about your patience, but you're right, things are different in the States...for better or worse.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VHHDT' post='495146' date='Nov 16 2007, 06:17 AM
4. You feel that the dealer should magically materialize the part required or take it off another car
The problem is not "the dealer". The problem is BMW as a company, and that particular BMW car (well, many of them actually) as a product. Why shouldn't they take the part off another car or bump up production.

Does it really take THREE WEEKS to build one part? No - but they prioritise new orders and sales, not customer satisfaction or existing faults. If they really wanted to, then they COULD get the part quicker, or take it off another car. The issue is that they DON'T CARE. The dealer, as the customer facing part of BMW as a whole, is who you direct your frustration at - and it is up to them as an organisation to sort it out.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VHHDT' post='495146' date='Nov 16 2007, 06:17 AM
... makes genuine lemons like mine a fair mission to have resolved......
If I pay ?50k for something and it turns out to be an unreliable piece of crap, to ME, that's a lemon. Forget whether it is one fault on one part, ten faults on ten different parts, or whatever. Every person who "screams" for what you feel to be no reason, is only doing what they feel is right. I expect a BMW to be a quality product. If there is ANY fault, I expect it to be fixed promptly and with full respect and understanding from the company. Companies that sell ?8k cars in the UK give better service than many of the BMW outlets, and it's just not good enough.

Quick Reply: Very frustrated, taking it to the streets