E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A very big thank you to members who responded to me

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Lexus RX330. Looking to buy 2010 535i.

Back in May, I posted a number of questions about BMW's, especially the 5 series, and a significant number of members responded, some of you with lengthy and thoughtful answers - and I want to thank you all for your time and willingness to share your knowledge and experiences.

Since January, I had been researching new cars in order to decide between purchasing a Lexus LS460 (or GS350) or buying a new BMW 535i (or possibly a used 2007 or 2008 750i), in order to replace my 2005 Lexus RX330. I read Bimmer magazine and everything I could find online. The majority of what I read online was complaints about this or that breaking on BMW's, and complaints about insolent or even refusal of service at dealerships. The members of this group who were kind enough to share your experiences with me convinced me that BMW made outstanding cars, which did not necessarily fall apart after two years. In addition, Mike Miller, of Bimmer magazine has written a lengthy essay (available in pdf form by requesting same from him) advocating the traditional and effective way of maintaining the car, which would be likely to keep it alive for 200k miles (or more). In addition, I learned about extended warranties available from GEICO and from BMW dealerships, that would extend coverage to 6 years or 100,000 miles (in the case of GEICO, up to 100k miles, with no calendar restrictions).

To make a long story short, on June 20th I became the owner (not lessee) of a white 535i, auto trans., premium pkg., sport pkg, comfort pkg, nav, Sirius, beige interior with anthracite wood, run-flat tires. I changed the oil and filter at 1400 miles and now have around 1600 miles on the odometer. IMHO, it's rare in life to get involved with someone or buy something that turns out as good as you anticipated. In this case, this car is exactly what I wanted (a sports car that is large enough to be comfortable for 5 people with a reasonable trunk) and, perhaps, more than I expected. You all know what the ride is like, so I don't have to describe it. This is an exciting, luxurious, driver's car, which is better insulated and quieter than a Lexus LS460. In addition, the service at Moritz BMW, where I bought the car, in Arlington, TX, has been superb and all the people with whom I've come in contact friendly, warm, helpful, smart and professional. Contrary to my fears, the dealership did not refuse to change my oil early (I paid for the unscheduled service, of course); they have been more than helpful. For prep and minor warranty work, they picked up my car, left me a loaner and then dropped off my car after servicing.

I understand, now, why y'all have a BMW motor club, and blogs and websites like this. Buying a BMW is not purchasing a vehicle that transports you from home to work, it is purchasing an experience - a fantastic, exciting, satisfying experience, that makes me feel young again, and alive (which, coming after 7 months of a chronic illness and serious pharmacological treatment is no small matter).

I look forward to continuing an online relationship with y'all, and do, once again, thank you for helping me make the right decision in buying this 535i, which, in my humble opinion is - to coin a phrase - the ultimate driving machine.

best wishes to all,
Ken Price, Ph.D.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Contributors

Now that your buying decision is in the history books, Dr. Price ... let the driving experience begin!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Lexus RX330. Looking to buy 2010 535i.

And I forgot to write that I bought a new 2009. I had wanted to buy a 2010, but when I heard that BMW USA was offering a $5,000. discount for new 2009's, to clear them out, that 5k discount, along with the discount I got from the dealer, saved me so much money that I decided to forgo the hard drive in the new 2010's and settle for the dvd nav, and grab one of the few remaining 2009's that the dealer had.

The driving experience has, indeed, begun. That's the only problem the car seems to have. I look forward to driving to work and driving home, but remain disappointed that there's a gap of 11 or so hours between the two opportunities to drive!

I really want to spend time driving this car. That's not a commentary on an impoverished life; that's a comment on what an incredibly satisfying and exciting experience it is to drive this car. I fear that I won't be satisfied until I convince my wife that it makes more sense to drive from Dallas to LA than to fly - to see the kids and the grandchildren. And - how handy it will be to have my car with us. Heh, heh, heh.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Congrats and welcome aboard.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Contributors

congrats! good call on the 2009.

Definitely drive out here to CA. Lots of great roads out here that I'm sure you'll enjoy driving.

Welcome
Old 07-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Congratulations on your new car! A very nice choice!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Congrats on your new 535. Enjoy the driving. One of my very favorite things in the world is driving my BMW.

You have purchased a car with a diametrically different approach and purpose than a Lexus LS460. The LS's purpose is to ride in plush luxury. The E60's purpose is to DRIVE and become immersed in the visceral thrill of driving it. There is absolutely no thrill whatsoever to driving a Lexus LS460. The LS460 isolates and removes the driver from the road. The E60 makes you feel the road and become a part of it.

BMWs are not perfect cars. There is no such thing. But for the thrill of driving, there are few, if any, better sedans made by anyone at any price point than BMW.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by consultingdoc' post='957347' date='Jul 29 2009, 04:43 AM
I understand, now, why y'all have a BMW motor club, and blogs and websites like this. Buying a BMW is not purchasing a vehicle that transports you from home to work, it is purchasing an experience - a fantastic, exciting, satisfying experience, that makes me feel young again, and alive (which, coming after 7 months of a chronic illness and serious pharmacological treatment is no small matter).

Well put, congratulations and welcome to the club!!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Contributors

great story!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by consultingdoc' post='957347' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:43 PM
Back in May, I posted a number of questions about BMW's, especially the 5 series, and a significant number of members responded, some of you with lengthy and thoughtful answers - and I want to thank you all for your time and willingness to share your knowledge and experiences.

Since January, I had been researching new cars in order to decide between purchasing a Lexus LS460 (or GS350) or buying a new BMW 535i (or possibly a used 2007 or 2008 750i), in order to replace my 2005 Lexus RX330. I read Bimmer magazine and everything I could find online. The majority of what I read online was complaints about this or that breaking on BMW's, and complaints about insolent or even refusal of service at dealerships. The members of this group who were kind enough to share your experiences with me convinced me that BMW made outstanding cars, which did not necessarily fall apart after two years. In addition, Mike Miller, of Bimmer magazine has written a lengthy essay (available in pdf form by requesting same from him) advocating the traditional and effective way of maintaining the car, which would be likely to keep it alive for 200k miles (or more). In addition, I learned about extended warranties available from GEICO and from BMW dealerships, that would extend coverage to 6 years or 100,000 miles (in the case of GEICO, up to 100k miles, with no calendar restrictions).

To make a long story short, on June 20th I became the owner (not lessee) of a white 535i, auto trans., premium pkg., sport pkg, comfort pkg, nav, Sirius, beige interior with anthracite wood, run-flat tires. I changed the oil and filter at 1400 miles and now have around 1600 miles on the odometer. IMHO, it's rare in life to get involved with someone or buy something that turns out as good as you anticipated. In this case, this car is exactly what I wanted (a sports car that is large enough to be comfortable for 5 people with a reasonable trunk) and, perhaps, more than I expected. You all know what the ride is like, so I don't have to describe it. This is an exciting, luxurious, driver's car, which is better insulated and quieter than a Lexus LS460. In addition, the service at Moritz BMW, where I bought the car, in Arlington, TX, has been superb and all the people with whom I've come in contact friendly, warm, helpful, smart and professional. Contrary to my fears, the dealership did not refuse to change my oil early (I paid for the unscheduled service, of course); they have been more than helpful. For prep and minor warranty work, they picked up my car, left me a loaner and then dropped off my car after servicing.

I look forward to continuing an online relationship with y'all, and do, once again, thank you for helping me make the right decision in buying this 535i, which, in my humble opinion is - to coin a phrase - the ultimate driving machine.

best wishes to all,
Ken Price, Ph.D.
Great write up, Doc! First and foremost, glad to know you're healthy and strong! and we'd love to see your sexy ride so please post

Quick Reply: A very big thank you to members who responded to me