E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

very annoying interior noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own 2005 530i(US), ride is still smooth, handle is tight and nimble. but the interior noise is very ANNOYING!
Currently, I hear noise from two spots although I wasnt able to find the exact locations.

One is from the side door window in BOTH driver and passenger sides.
Whenever car starts moving forward, i hear some kinda rubber conflict/bubble sound.
Keeping the windows slightly open fixes the noise, but I don't know how to make it go away.

Second noise is more of a plastic rattle sound coming from the lower side of the driver side door and the lower driver deck panel. (around area where driver's left feet usually is)
This rattle sound gets louder and consistent on unevenly paved road.
I first thought it was coming from the glass/plastic on the odometer, but it was not.
I tried to look for it during drive, but couldnt find the exact spot.
Anyone aware?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Second noise is more of a plastic rattle sound coming from the lower side of the driver side door and the lower driver deck panel. (around area where driver's left feet usually is)
This rattle sound gets louder and consistent on unevenly paved road.
I may have a similar problem however I discovered that my noise is generated by the two buttons on the indicator control arm. You may want to verify if it is one and the same.
Attached Thumbnails very annoying interior noise!!!-rattle.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Members

hey, thanks for the reply.
I checked, but it wasnt coming from that control arm.
I think this is a common rattle noise you hear from most cars, cuz I've heard in MB, Toyota cars.
Anyone aware where to look for this rattle noise?
As I said, it's coming from the bottom deck/dashboard or lower left door in driver side on bumpy/unevenly paved road.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 10 535ix Graphite/Oyster, sport pkg, steptronic, nav, cold weather, prem I &II, conv pkg 08 535ix Saph Blk/Blk,sport pkg, steptronic, nav, sat, cold weather 07 X3 Blk Saph/Blk, prem,cold weather, xenon, nav 05 545i Orient Blu/Blk, anthracite, prem, sport, stptronic, nav, sat, comfort seats, cold weather, prem sound. 02 540it Grn/Grey, premium,sport pkg, cold weather, premium sound 99 528it Cashmere/beige, premium, cold weather

Might be the door seals. Mine have been replaced. An indicater might be if the noise goes away when the seals get wet when it is raining.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kjay80
I own 2005 530i(US), ride is still smooth, handle is tight and nimble. but the interior noise is very ANNOYING!
Currently, I hear noise from two spots although I wasnt able to find the exact locations.

One is from the side door window in BOTH driver and passenger sides.
Whenever car starts moving forward, i hear some kinda rubber conflict/bubble sound.
Keeping the windows slightly open fixes the noise, but I don't know how to make it go away.
I have the same problem, it started right after the dealer reset the window position...my thinking is that the window glass is pressing to tightly against the inside window seal. At the moment the only thing that makes it stop is keeping the windows slightly open as you indicated.

Does anyone know how to reset the window position?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Georgieb
I may have a similar problem however I discovered that my noise is generated by the two buttons on the indicator control arm. You may want to verify if it is one and the same.
I have the same noise. What's the fix? thx
Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by F1-Racer
I have the same problem, it started right after the dealer reset the window position...my thinking is that the window glass is pressing to tightly against the inside window seal. At the moment the only thing that makes it stop is keeping the windows slightly open as you indicated.

Does anyone know how to reset the window position?
The link below helps to fix the 1st noise I've mentioned.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/97678-squeaky-rubber/

I was gonna try it, but after getting car wash, the sound went away.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Members

You probably have a rubber to glass/metal rubbing causing a squeek.
Only use a silicone or teflon based grease. Vaseline, WD40, etc are petrol based and eat rubber. You can find it at the auto stores or walmart etc.
Put a VERY little grease on the edge of the open window glass and some on the door seals.
Besides stopping the squeek, it protects the rubber.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Members

I'm going to have to try this, I'm having noise issues now that it is hot.If anyone is having problems with the stalk try this.

Easy fix. My CPO had this problem when I bought it. I just got some black foam weather stripping from Home Depot and cut it into 1/4" cubes. I used tweezers to compress them and put two into the hollow in the back of each button. Buttons still work and there is anough pressure to prevent the rattling.