E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ventilated seats pumping out warm/hot air?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Does anyone else with ventilated seats feature have the issue where on a warm day, it pumps out warm/hot air rather than cool air? This is even after the car interior has cooled down even with A/C! It's more like using my heated seats but not.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

[font="'Comic Sans MS"]stop farting? [/font]
Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Have you checked the "red/blue" bar indicator in your idrive vent/AC/temp settings (sorry, can't for the life of me remember the correct term for it...)?

Although I don't have the vented seats, a lot of issues related to heat from vents when AC on, etc. trace back to this adjustment being set incorrectly. In laymans terms, this setting affects the relative heat/cold from the dash vents vs. what the rest of the system is pumping out (and may also affect the vented seats?) -- if you have this set to full red bars, even on a hot day when the AC is blasting your main dash vents will not blow cold air... and the opposite if you have this set to full blue bars in the winter, the vents will blow cool air even though the rest of the system is trying (sometimes desparately! ) to heat the car...
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]stop farting? [/font]
LOL hilarious! But no, I wasn't farting. Haha.

Originally Posted by Wpg550
Have you checked the "red/blue" bar indicator in your idrive vent/AC/temp settings (sorry, can't for the life of me remember the correct term for it...)?

Although I don't have the vented seats, a lot of issues related to heat from vents when AC on, etc. trace back to this adjustment being set incorrectly. In laymans terms, this setting affects the relative heat/cold from the dash vents vs. what the rest of the system is pumping out (and may also affect the vented seats?) -- if you have this set to full red bars, even on a hot day when the AC is blasting your main dash vents will not blow cold air... and the opposite if you have this set to full blue bars in the winter, the vents will blow cool air even though the rest of the system is trying (sometimes desparately! ) to heat the car...
Yup, I made sure of this is in the blue.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Are you sure you're pressing the correct buttons? Cooling button == blue, Heating == green (why it's not red I'll never know).
Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Are you sure you're pressing the correct buttons? Cooling button == blue, Heating == green (why it's not red I'll never know).
Yes, I'm pressing the blue button with a fan symbol on it. Hm, I semi-recall the heating buttons being red, but I could be wrong. I'll have to wait until it gets cold here for me to turn it on. Haha
Old 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Members

Heating is red for sure at least on the 09.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Laci535i
Heating is red for sure at least on the 09.
Ah ok, I just checked and it is green. Weird.

So does anyone know if the ventilated seats should be pumping out A/C air or just regular cabin air? I would've assumed A/C air if available.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cuto
Ah ok, I just checked and it is green. Weird.

So does anyone know if the ventilated seats should be pumping out A/C air or just regular cabin air? I would've assumed A/C air if available.
Must be an Al Gore version!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

The ventilated seats will push out the same air that goes through the dashboard vents. Since the climate control regulates the air coolness, the air you feel in the seats may feel cool or warm depending on what your temperature setting knob is in relation to actual temperature.

I've never used this in the winter since the electric heater in the seats works better, but since the car would be pushing heated air I'd imagine you would have this blowing through the seats too.

Quick Reply: Ventilated seats pumping out warm/hot air?