E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vanishing check engine light...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I have had this problem on two separate occasions now. Here are the symptoms...

I will be driving along and the yellow "engine" symbol will appear on the top of the dash. Last time this happened it stayed for days before disappearing. It actually disappeared on my way to the dealership to have it diagnosed. I constantly run the "check" feature and it always returns with "all systems okay."

It happened once more tonight. I was driving along in DS mode and the light popped on once more. Again, the systems check returns "okay."

What in the world could this mean?....when I was at the dealership, the guy tried to tell me it was the gas cap. I am always cautious about making sure it clicks into place, so I'm not buying it.

All of your thoughts/ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

The has cap. Ensure you arenputting on the correct way. Not too tight and not too loose.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by tonymac
The has cap. Ensure you arenputting on the correct way. Not too tight and not too loose.
So if I don't like your products Tony, you'll give me my money back plus 10%?!?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gas cap is just one of the hundreds of thing it could be CEL is triggered by anything emissions relaed that upsets the o2 sensor readings. So cylinder misfires, spark plugs, ignition coils, gas cap leaks vapor and upsets the system, rich or lean conditions due to many causes.

A flucutating one could be a spark plug that is going bad and intermittently working--could be many things. The Check systems function does not indicat anything when CEL comes on-that does not give a message on idrive
Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Members

Does the CEL come with emssions exceeded or increased emssions ????????????????????????
Old 08-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leadfoot
Does the CEL come with emssions exceeded or increased emssions ????????????????????????
dude chill out-it is any emissions that are out of the specs of the norm-high or low changes
Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Also it goes off when your LTFT and STFT is no longer able to compensate for whatever the problems are--until that point your LTFT adjusts fuel mixture if it is a lean/rich problem
Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Diamond
dude chill out-it is any emissions that are out of the specs of the norm-high or low changes
I think he meant does the idrive also display a message of "Increased Emissions"

If so it could be a number of things a diagnostic would pull up anything.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Contributors

This happened to me before and it ended up being related to the gas cap but not actually because I wasn't closing the cap right. Figures they found a small crack inside the gas cap if that makes any sense? That's all I understood. Point is it was a cheap fix.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by skeeter
So if I don't like your products Tony, you'll give me my money back plus 10%?!?

That is Adams Policy. Seriously! If for any reason you return the product he will give you 110% back. That is how much he stands by his products.

Quick Reply: Vanishing check engine light...