E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvetronic intermediate levers

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Some time ago there was a discussion on a valve "ticking" issue on the V8, audible especially when the engine was cold. This was sometimes accompanied with some rough engine idle. Some members reported having the intermediate valvetronic levers changed ( since there was a SIB bulletin out ) and had this issue solved. Even reporting improvements during idle and low rpm acceleration. The levers seem to be out of tolerance for some V8's made between July 2004 and Nov 2004.

Having reported this problem to my chief mechanic a month ago, he informed me that they will be changed and today works started. During my lunch break, I went down to have a look at the work in progress. After the initial shock of seeing half my engine in pieces, I must say the engineering setup of the V8 is something to admire.

Anyway, the main news on this topic is that the mechanic noticed the axle ( NOT the camshaft - still trying to track down the part in TIS/ETK ) that runs through the levers had a bluish tint to it - indicating overheated metal. Pretty exceptional from my side considering how well I ran in the engine in the beginning.
The mechanic added that this could well be a problem with the metal itself ( any metal engineers here? ) and ordered a pair of new shafts. Also put a report in to BMW to inform them of this occurence or if it is known. It is possible the levers have been put out of tolerance or accentuated from this metal issue, which would explain the pronounced "ticking" issue when the engine is cold. The valve noise is still there even with a warm engine, but you need a quiet cockpit and surrounding to hear it.

Any member with a V8 and noticing valve "ticking" SHOULD have this checked out. Especially with some rough engine idle.
Although the mechanics work sheet had only 1 sentence : "valve noise when cold" - this is a pretty comprehensive operation.

Car will be in for a week instead of 2 days. Bummer, but better to resolve this issue during the warranty period, right? On the upside they will also change the door seals on the driver and passenger side, after some creaking re-surfaced mysteriously after having disappeared for 5 months. Come to think of it re-appeared during our vacation where the car had a full complement of front AND rear passengers - maybe tensions the chassis and this creates the creaking sound...who knows.

Will report at weeks end on this topic for the results.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Andy,

You're so lucky that your dealer is willing to perform this expensive fix. I have the same problem as you described. I took to the dealer 3X and even tried a different dealer to fix it. I called BMWNA 3X but they said that it was normal. I am very anxious to hear your outcome, if it would fix this problem or not.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Hey Andy -- grab some pics of the disassembled engine if you can!!

Here's to everything getting put back together with no parts left over!!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Yes, a picture of lobotomy would be nice.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 18 2005, 11:48 AM
I took to the dealer 3X and even tried a different dealer to fix it.? I called BMWNA 3X but they said that it was normal.?
[snapback]150332[/snapback]
You should print out SIB and hand it to your SA, otherwise, they always say it's normal.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

I did print SI B 11 02 05 and showed to the dealer. However, the problem stated in the bulletin is "Erratic engine idle speed." I also showed them printouts from the related threads describing this problem and successful fixes. They did not want to do this costly repair without getting the OK from BMW's field engineer. I complained to BMWNA but as soon as they pull out this report from the fields engineer, they declined to do anything further for me. They even told me to seek whatever action I feel necessary, but their decision is final.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put my car for sale 4 days ago and would not buy another E60 again angry.gif
It should be "...would not buy another BMW again"
Old 07-19-2005, 03:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 18 2005, 09:13 PM
Hey Andy -- grab some pics of the disassembled engine if you can!!

Here's to everything getting put back together with no parts left over!!
[snapback]150362[/snapback]
Yep, asked already - I thought it would be very interesting but the works manager
did not feel comfortable with the idea. Incriminating evidence, I thought...
Old 07-19-2005, 03:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 18 2005, 07:48 PM
Andy,

You're so lucky that your dealer is willing to perform this expensive fix.? I have the same problem as you described.? I took to the dealer 3X and even tried a different dealer to fix it.? I called BMWNA 3X but they said that it was normal.? I am very anxious to hear your outcome, if it would fix this problem or not.

Please keep us posted.? Or if you prefer, please PM me.? Thanks
[snapback]150332[/snapback]
Will keep this post up to date. No worries.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Contributors

As promised, updating some info on this topic.

Car was not ready to pick up today, as promised, but the engine work is done and complete. The bonnet had to be installed and the car given a wash. Fair enough.
Pick up tomorrow now.

I had a chance to talk to the mechanic working on the car , he said that this was a rather long and complicated repair. Further more, the Valvetronic electronics had to be programmed again ( not software update ) - and the old engine oil replaced.

I was able to start up the car, the startup seemed to me to be smoother as well as the general running of the car. The engine was cold.
Something important I noticed. The Valvetronic after start up, will go through a process of valve lift verification, at which the engine will idle on the high side and after 60 sec will reduce idle as necessary. I can't really remember this ever occuring on my car, but it was definately clear in this case.

I also have seen the old parts. Will ask if I can have them tomorrow to take pics.
I confirmed ( as per SIB - look at pdf ) that my levers were within the dates these out of tolerance valvetronic levers were manufactured : 04 217, well within the 04 180 - 04 324 dates. I am happy they are no longer in my engine.

Also door seals on driver and passenger doors fully replaced. Hopefully no more creaking doors.

I will report to all those interested some more info tomorrow regarding the "valve tapping".

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
valves.pdf (236.5 KB, 310 views)

Quick Reply: Valvetronic intermediate levers