E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Valve cover stopped leaking after put in storage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013 | 08:27 AM
New Members

Default Valve cover stopped leaking after put in storage?

I was told by and indi bmw shop that my valve cover gasket needs to be replaced it was leaking oil also the alternator bracket gasket and one of the belts. I decided to get it all fixed later on so i put the car in storage for about Eight months I have two cars the other one is a Mercedes-Benz C2 30 so I started using that one but now I decided to get them BMW fixed so I brought it to A different shop the one near my house. They specialize in German cars only. I told him I needed the valve cover gasket fixed because it was leaking and I made an appointment i took the car in there. They said they would charge me seven hours labor for the job and $140 for parts. Around $950 including tax for everything. I decided to get just the valve cover gasket replaced first. So after a few hours they phone and sid the mechanic said that the valve cover gaskets weren't leaking. The other technician Took a look At it and said that it was not leaking. They discovered that it was an oil pressure switch That was leaking. They said the part would only be $15. But they still need to charge me a few hours labor for the job that they already started. I told him to take a look at the belts also and if there's oil leaking Anywhere else. They cleaned up all the oil in the engine and told me come back after two weeks of driving and it would take a look again to see if there's any more oil leaking anywhere else.

They didn't known that I had the car on storage for eight months when I told them they said come back after two weeks of driving to get the oil change and look for the oil leaks. He said the beltts are still okay. My question is the car was in storage for eight months and I drove it for about five minutes to the shop Did the oil stopped Leaking because the car was not being used or other shop just miss diagnosed it?

They ask me where I take the car for service I told him the name of the shop and they were surprised because it was a good shop they do onlyn BMW. At the end I had to pay $460 with tax for 4 hours labour and $15 for the part.

I was thinking it wS only 3 hours more labour to get the vlave cover replaced should have i just got it replaced? Anywayz because it is 210000km 2004 545i

What do you guys think?

It was like $380 labour for nothing. But the guys here in the shop are really nice and said why spend extra $500 if i dont need it. If they wanted to make money they could have just got the job done.

But what if after 2weeks of driving they find out i really need that job done and its really leaking oil. I just wasted $380

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013 | 08:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Only time will tell.
Old 10-27-2013 | 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

valve covers only leak when the engine is running, when oil splashes them, since they are on the top of the engine.
Old 10-27-2013 | 11:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
valve covers only leak when the engine is running, when oil splashes them, since they are on the top of the engine.
+1