E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Valve cover replacement issue *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 01:04 PM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 535i X-Drive
Model Year: 2010

For the O2 sensors, I loosely followed this tutorial from Pelican Parts.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

A couple of notes if I remember correctly:
- I didn't drain the coolant. Just unbolted the coolant reservoir and moved it over to the side.
- For one of the sensors, I removed from the top. The other one, I went through the wheel well. Don't remember which one it was, but I think the rear sensor was through the wheel well (assuming you are referring to the pre-cat sensors).
- Be careful when replacing the valve cover. I managed to catch one of the O2 sensor wiring in between the valve cover and the head - this at the passenger side/firewall corner. The wire eventually got severed, which is why I had to replace the O2 sensor. Might not be a problem if you are doing the valve cover gasket and sensors at the same time.
- Although I didn't do this, you may want to dab a very, very small amount of rtv or even super glue in spots between the valve cover and the gasket to hold the gasket in place. When reinstalling the cover, the gasket will likely fall off and you'll probably have to retry a few times. Otherwise the gasket could get pinched.

I haven't changed the post-cat sensors yet, but it seems to be a pretty easy job.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
norsecarnut (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 04:11 PM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

I just replaced my N52 (similar, but not identical) valve cover today. It was the second one - I apparently knocked loose one of the intermediate levers (rollers) that connect the Valvetronic cam to the intake rocker. Strangely, it's really just floating with just spring tension holding it in.

The trick is to pull the wiring harness feedthroughs coming out of the ECM "box" in the right rear corner of the engine compartment. With them loose, there's plenty of room (OK "plenty" is not the right word). ;-)

I put a schmear of RTV all the way around both sides of the gasket - that helped hold it in place. Just make sure you get the bolts all in the holes before you tighten everything down (to allow for repositioning the gasket with a screwdriver through one of the valve cover bolt holes). The RTV does a good job of holding the gasket in place, though will make the next gasket swap more difficult (since you have to scrape it all off). OTOH, it's a lot less likely to leak (and SO many of these things leak). ;-)

Not sure if the OP's car has steel VC bolts, but if they're aluminum, you REALLY want to use a small torque wrench.