E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Misfire after hard acceleration

Old 01-20-2018, 12:03 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520xi
Default Misfire after hard acceleration

Hi guys. Has anyone experienced 29d2 misfire on cyl 6 after hard acceleration? Initially, I had a whole host of errors related to the vvt solenoids so I replaced both. Now the vvt errors are gone, but it is still running rough. I replaced all 6 injectors and swapped around the plugs and coils, but the misfire stays on the 6th cyl. If I start the car and drive easy, it runs great, no code. As soon as I floor it and accellerate through third gear, the check engine light comes on and it throws the 29d2 code. Any ideas? I would think wiring, but it comes and goes. 2007 530xi auto

Last edited by skeester; 01-22-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: 07 530i LCI Msport
Model Year: 2007

I had a similar issue, start with your coil packs, swap say pack 1 with 6 and see if the problem folkows. I ended up having 2 bad coil packs that had failed due to oil pooling in the spark plug wells from a bad valve cover gasket.
​​
Old 01-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Been trying to come up with some ideas for you but I can't get past this:

Now the only issue left is it is running rough. I replaced all 4 injectors and swapped around the plugs and coils, but the misfire stays on the 6th cyl. If I start the car and drive easy, it runs great
is it running rough or not? or is it only running rough when you get the misfire?
You replaced all 6 injectors with new ones?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by antho3024
I had a similar issue, start with your coil packs, swap say pack 1 with 6 and see if the problem folkows. I ended up having 2 bad coil packs that had failed due to oil pooling in the spark plug wells from a bad valve cover gasket.
​​
The problem doesn’t follow the plug or the coil. I also replaced the injectors. No change.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:28 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter

is it running rough or not? or is it only running rough when you get the misfire?
runs smooth when I start and if I keep it below 1/4 throttle. When I floor it, it gets to 60 or so and then runs rough (cyl 6 misfire code) even at idle. Then I can turn the car off and back on and it is back to smooth idle with no code.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by antho3024
​​
Valve cover gasket and plugs have maybe 10k miles on them. No oil pooling and plugs look good. Not wet or oily, which made me think the injector was fouled. If the coil was bad, there would be an excess of fuel on the plug.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:31 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter

I edited the original post for clarity.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

what is the history prior to this problem?

Ran perfect for a long time then suddenly this misfire?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 AM
New Members

Has run well for the last 6 months, but as we all know, these things are money pits. I have had it for 2 years 20,000 miles and I have had to do more to this car than any other I have owned. Trans valve body and all related mechatronics rubber, much of the cooling system starting with water pump, engine gaskets, all of the front control arms, started, front drive shaft......

I have had tons of bmws and Audi’s and this one has got to be the worst. BUT, it drives like a dream.

That said, I have impa and Carley, but I am not very good at using them. Any suggestion on how I can use these tools to troubleshoot this problem?

Last edited by skeester; 01-22-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

If you are quite certain you have eliminated all possibility that it is not due to coil/plug/injector then

1) It is still something specific to that cylinder, such as

DME circuits that drive that coil/plug?
coil pack wires
valves
cylinder
??
2) Or it is not just specific to cyl 6 but seems like it is because it is the one that keeps misfiring first.

I would get it out on the road and force the misfire numerous times to try and determine if it is indeed always and only a cyl 6 problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Misfire after hard acceleration