E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Valve cover gasket, timing cover gasket, etc...labor price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:45 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by FREE100KSECRET
Like most, oil leaks are a hassle to deal with on BMW's, and when my 545i started to leak, along with smoke from oil seal failure, another issue which sucks on all V-8's made by BMW. Makes you wonder, my 528i has 270K on it and doesn't leak or burn a drop. So it amazes me why the V-8 models are leakers like all British cars were for years.

Before you waste your money on valve gaskets and valve oil seals, try some Lucas oil seal treatment. It has been three months and no more leaks, plus the dreaded oil seal smoke has almost been eliminated in normal use. Before when I would stop a traffic light, anything longer than a minute, and the dreaded smoke signal would rise from rear of car when you take off, BNMW should be ashamed of this issue, totally embarassed to see oil smoke.

Having worked on all my cars for years, what I always found strange about oil seal smokers defies logic with BMW V-8's is this. With all valve seal issues I have had over the years, the smoke from exhaust only occured at start ups or if you would coast down long hill and then accelerate, and puff, cloud of smoke. With my 545i it would only smoke after idle of minute or more, then puff?

Why are the symptoms of hardened or worn valve seals on BMW's totally different? I have searched everywhere for an answer, and no one has yet explained this problem, not even BMW. Simply put, I used Lucas oil treatment and after a month, leaks stopped entirely from valve gasket, and to my surprise, I can idle for just under 4 minutes with no smoke at take offs. Obviously, it didn't completely solve smoking problem, but how many times do you have to idle for more than three minutes?

Here are some things I have learned on this issue. Before Lucas I discovered if you simply tap accelerator to 1500 RPM every minute at light, it would not smoke. Strange, but true. I have standard shift, so easy, but the point is, why does this stop the smoking? I also got same results if I idled at just over 1000 RPM, no smoke. As many may know, smoke from synthetic oil is different than with traditional oil, in fact, the synthetic oil smoke is similar to when water leaks into cylinder from head gasket leaks. It even smells different, something I had never thought about before my issues started at 140K.

Just as a side note, I change my oil with Mobile 1 extra life every 5K, and on last long trip, only used 1 qt. of oil in 3000 miles of mostly high speed run at 70 to 80MPH, so not an oil burner like many I see have complained about. I can see consumption being much higher if you drive mostly stop and go, so this Lucas treatment just may save you thousands like it has for me. I don't sell or work for Lucas, so take it from my experience before spending a ton of money on oil leaks and smoking V-8;s.

Good luck,
Interesting. Some have reported that changing valve cover gaskets fix the smoking problem, due to the extra vacuum created from the leak and being drawn into the intake.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Considering its a indy shop and they have less over head than a dealer its a good price. If you were here in socal I could do it for less but I don't have loaner cars nor will I rush to do the whole job in a single day.