E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UUC SHort Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.
Thumbs up

I'm snew to the board so maybe I missed the topics on short shifters. We all love driving (I presume that's why we love BMW) and managing this pwoer is just fun- I've just updated from an E39 sport to an E60, and the stock shifter on the new care is awful compared to my UUC in my 2000! This UUC shifter wasn't even the new technology to maintain geometry and use better bushings, but that old car shifts so accurately, much cleaner and faster.

The new one is probably best you can buy but the new UUC (or competitors?) must be that much better- Anyone upgrade? I did the old one myself and it was straight forward, what about the E60? UUC told me it will be "no problem" if I did the last one myself... Really?

Thanks folks...
Old 05-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by TAJARO' post='281604' date='May 12 2006, 01:25 PM
I'm snew to the board so maybe I missed the topics on short shifters. We all love driving (I presume that's why we love BMW) and managing this pwoer is just fun- I've just updated from an E39 sport to an E60, and the stock shifter on the new care is awful compared to my UUC in my 2000! This UUC shifter wasn't even the new technology to maintain geometry and use better bushings, but that old car shifts so accurately, much cleaner and faster.

The new one is probably best you can buy but the new UUC (or competitors?) must be that much better- Anyone upgrade? I did the old one myself and it was straight forward, what about the E60? UUC told me it will be "no problem" if I did the last one myself... Really?

Thanks folks...
I GREATLY prefer Rouge Engineering to UUC. Smoother, more accurate shift. Shorter, too. Better feel.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Originally Posted by TAJARO' post='281604' date='May 12 2006, 12:25 PM

Thanks folks...
Hello & Welcome!

I'm in the same boat as you are, I've had the UUC EVO3 installed (& CDV replaced) on my 545i and it was ok, after taking delivery on the 550i I've noticed there was almost no difference between the UUC & the OEM, definitely not something that worth the $700 (Kit + Labor) invested in my last car.

I'm about to finish my break in period on the 550i and I don't think I will install an SSK this time, unless i'll get to try the Rogue Kit or other Kit before actually installing one.

Again, the EVO3's improvement over the OEM (if any at all...) is so insignificant that you rather keep your money or go with another kit.

Hope it helps... Let me know if you decided to go with the Rogue or if you've found a better solution.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

I'd love to hear more on the Rouge kit.

I think that many of us were disappointed with the E60's shift especially compared to the sweet E39's. As has been said, the E60's better than anything else available OEM, but I'd like an improvement if available. I had the UUC kit installed in my 545, but noticed very little difference.

Anyone in the US have experience with the Rouge kit? Any idea of cost?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='282060' date='May 13 2006, 08:39 PM
I'd love to hear more on the Rouge kit.

I think that many of us were disappointed with the E60's shift especially compared to the sweet E39's. As has been said, the E60's better than anything else available OEM, but I'd like an improvement if available. I had the UUC kit installed in my 545, but noticed very little difference.

Anyone in the US have experience with the Rouge kit? Any idea of cost?
The ROGUE actually looks pretty good. I love my UUC in my e39 and the shifts are most definitely MUCH shorter and crisper so I'm disappointed that members report the e60 version lacking. I've been checking around and their website is pretty good:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=SSK

It sounds like the addition of the weigther selectro rod is a real aplus- but can you believe all this marketing? Anyway it's $265 and if I can install it myself (checking that too) I'll give it a go-
Old 05-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by TAJARO' post='282064' date='May 13 2006, 08:58 PM
The ROGUE actually looks pretty good. I love my UUC in my e39 and the shifts are most definitely MUCH shorter and crisper so I'm disappointed that members report the e60 version lacking. I've been checking around and their website is pretty good:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=SSK

It sounds like the addition of the weigther selectro rod is a real aplus- but can you believe all this marketing? Anyway it's $265 and if I can install it myself (checking that too) I'll give it a go-

If you're in PA and are not too far from HoHoKus, NJ Rogue will install it for you for around $100. Ben and Mark are great guys, too. Might be worth the trip.