E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB PLUG/CENTER CONSOLE

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

hello all-

recently traded the '05 for an '08.....
the '08 has the ipod mini stereo/usb combo plugs in the center console...i have realized that thumb drives work better than an ipod and have several 8GB thumb drives that i interchange for a jukebox....

...i ran an extension for the usb cable out through the armrest and it sorta lies near the handbrake...it's easier to access for the plug-n-play of the usb stick i want...the first couple of sticks i had were generic cheapos....but then i got a couple of sandisks....the sandisks actually have an area of the stick that when plugged in and "running' it lights up the perfect "bmw amber/orange".....was a nice surprise...it being accessed it sorta blinks and when just plugged in it's solid...

my question is this....
when the car is off the light is still "on"....and i am curious as to whether it's drawing an amount of power that is eventually gonna become a problem.....my assumption is that this stick is "no different" than any other stick or even ipod that is left plugged in...with the exception of the light itself drawing power...in other words, the actual "ongoings" of the usb stick while left plugged in on a locked car is the same...
do any of you think the usb with the light indicators is just a "bad" idea to avoid due to possible battery drain?
thanks for any/all input!
cheers-
Old 12-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I dont think it a problem. I've solely used USB sticks for Music... I never used the iPhone or iPod (although I've tried to make sure it works) but other than that never had problems... I would go back and check after 16 mins... I assume it shut down along with the rest of the car.