E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US models: iDrive Safety Message!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I get into my car, start the engine, and everything is smooth sailing, except I have to press the knob to get rid of the "safety message."

Is there a function that I can turn the safety message off so I can access the iDrive without having to press the knob everytime I startup the car?

I have to press the knob in order to see the PDC display too. Otherwise, it just beeps. I feel like iDrive is my mother nagging me about safety every time I start to drive.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Just another way to enjoy the "Land of The Lawsuit". Sorry, until we can get people here in the U.S. to accept responsibility for there actions, the screen will be there...
Old 08-27-2005, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 27 2005, 05:21 AM
Just another way to enjoy the "Land of The Lawsuit".? Sorry, until we can get people here in the U.S. to accept responsibility for there actions, the screen will be there...
[snapback]163920[/snapback]
And do not put your cat in the microwave...
Old 08-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 26 2005, 10:21 PM
Just another way to enjoy the "Land of The Lawsuit".? Sorry, until we can get people here in the U.S. to accept responsibility for there actions, the screen will be there...
I don't see this issue in other car maker like Lexus, or infiniti, where they have button galore. Now that's confusing.

I think BMW is overly concern with lawsuits. You can feel it by reading their user manual. Safety here, caution there even for the most common sense things. I guess we could never afford to overlook the simpliest things.

I see now why people (particularly car reviewer) prefer numerous buttons over a knob. It's in our nature to "love to press on buttons." I just observed my 8 month old daughter and see that she, too, prefer pressing buttons toys over a toys with less buttons.

If we can train children to turn and move knobs, may be in 20 years, iDrive and related systems will catch on.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 27 2005, 11:09 AM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Aug 26 2005, 10:21 PM']Just another way to enjoy the "Land of The Lawsuit".? Sorry, until we can get people here in the U.S. to accept responsibility for there actions, the screen will be there...
I don't see this issue in other car maker like Lexus, or infiniti, where they have button galore. Now that's confusing.

I think BMW is overly concern with lawsuits. You can feel it by reading their user manual. Safety here, caution there even for the most common sense things. I guess we could never afford to overlook the simpliest things.

I see now why people (particularly car reviewer) prefer numerous buttons over a knob. It's in our nature to "love to press on buttons." I just observed my 8 month old daughter and see that she, too, prefer pressing buttons toys over a toys with less buttons.

If we can train children to turn and move knobs, may be in 20 years, iDrive and related systems will catch on.
[snapback]164015[/snapback]
[/quote]

Our Lexus Nav has a similar 'make sue you drive safely' message when the engine is started.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 X5 4.8i

It's very annoying, and frankly it won't shield them from lawsuits anyway. Does anyone actuallly read the stupid message before pushing the idrive?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by paulwbenn' date='Aug 27 2005, 09:23 AM
It's very annoying, and frankly it won't shield them from lawsuits anyway.? Does anyone actuallly read the stupid message before pushing the idrive?
[snapback]164022[/snapback]
Doesn't matter if you really read it, by pressing the knob to acknowledge, you are agreeing to the warning. Don't know how well it will hold up in court, but at least they have you acknowledging that it can be dangerous to play with the iDrive while driving, and if you try to bring BMW to court, they have this as a backup...
Old 08-27-2005, 07:53 AM
Members

My Infiniti M45 has a similar message, but it only appears when you go to access nav or other controls. It is not automatic at start up. However, the Infiniti will not let you program many functions while driving, whereas the iDrive will.

So the truth is, other than that initial message, iDrive is the least restrictive system out there...
Old 08-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: V8 beast!

I just traded in my 05 rl and it had the same message.One click isn't that bad.Id rather not have to click 5 times to get to the navigation screen.Most nav units go directly to the nav screen after accepting the lawsuit message.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

the solution is simple...

Quick Reply: US models: iDrive Safety Message!!