E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US E60 Prices v UK

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

I had been assuming that our US friends were doing rather better than us financially and were able to afford much higher specification E60 model cars. And good luck to them.

I had an idle moment so I thought I'd see what I could buy in the US for the price of the poverty spec E60 I've recently ordered in the UK.

It's scary.

My car:

520d Saloon (a sedate, economical option)
Cloth seats
Non metallic paint
Basic trim (no wood)
Xenon lights, with pointy corner effect (as an option)
Professional Sat Nav (as an option)
Upgraded amplifier and speakers (not Logic 7, and again an option)

Cost: $60,000.

For the same price in the US, you can have:

550i Saloon (a fire breathing spawn of Satan)
Leather seats
Wood trim
Bluetooth
Xenon adaptive headlights
Metallic Paint
Chromeline exterior trim
10-way power front seats with power head restraints
4-way power lumbar support for front seats
Memory system for driver?s seat, side-view mirrors, and steering wheel position
Dual center console compartments with provision for phone handset
Automatic climate control with separate left/right temperature and air distribution controls, with automatic air recirculation
2-way power glass moonroof with remote, expanded ?one-touch? operation, anti-trapping feature, and sliding interior sunshade
Power tilt and telescopic steering wheel with automatic tilt-up
Integrated 3-button Universal garage-door opener

Cost $59,275

So it seems we're not poor - we just pay too much for stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I knew there was a difference....but crickey!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

But... you've got Royalty , better beer , real football , cool history , moats and castles , etc etc maybe you should be paying more ?? Your slightly better off cousin from Canada EH !
Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='456671' date='Aug 8 2007, 08:56 PM
But... you've got Royalty , better beer , real football , cool history , moats and castles , etc etc maybe you should be paying more ?? Your slightly better off cousin from Canada EH !
Think Id rather the 550!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='456669' date='Aug 8 2007, 08:49 PM
I had been assuming that our US friends were doing rather better than us financially and were able to afford much higher specification E60 model cars. And good luck to them.

I had an idle moment so I thought I'd see what I could buy in the US for the price of the poverty spec E60 I've recently ordered in the UK.

It's scary.

My car:

520d Saloon (a sedate, economical option)
Cloth seats
Non metallic paint
Basic trim (no wood)
Xenon lights, with pointy corner effect (as an option)
Professional Sat Nav (as an option)
Upgraded amplifier and speakers (not Logic 7, and again an option)

Cost: $60,000.

For the same price in the US, you can have:

550i Saloon (a fire breathing spawn of Satan)
Leather seats
Wood trim
Bluetooth
Xenon adaptive headlights
Metallic Paint
Chromeline exterior trim
10-way power front seats with power head restraints
4-way power lumbar support for front seats
Memory system for driver?s seat, side-view mirrors, and steering wheel position
Dual center console compartments with provision for phone handset
Automatic climate control with separate left/right temperature and air distribution controls, with automatic air recirculation
2-way power glass moonroof with remote, expanded ?one-touch? operation, anti-trapping feature, and sliding interior sunshade
Power tilt and telescopic steering wheel with automatic tilt-up
Integrated 3-button Universal garage-door opener

Cost $59,275

So it seems we're not poor - we just pay too much for stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I knew there was a difference....but crickey!
dont forget the costs in petrol. Just come back from Toronto in Canada... (clean city BTW).. they pay 98c for 1 litre of petrol!!! which works out at 45p!!!

Stuffs always cheaper outside the UK!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by MIINTY' post='456695' date='Aug 8 2007, 09:50 PM
dont forget the costs in petrol. Just come back from Toronto in Canada... (clean city BTW).. they pay 98c for 1 litre of petrol!!! which works out at 45p!!!

Stuffs always cheaper outside the UK!
Except speeding fines - ever been nicked in France? :thumbsdown:
Old 08-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

I feel your pain but consider this. BMW may keep their prices lower here because there are still a lot of Americans who are willing to pay $60,000.00 for a Cadillac or Lincoln. Several years ago Cadillac put out a model called the Catera. It was supposed to compete with BMW. It was built on the Chevy Cavalier frame (very cheap model). The marketing phrase was "the caddy that zigs". It apparently zigged when it should have zagged, you don't see any on the road.

Finally, while we may pay less for a BMW, we very well may elect Hillary Clinton as our next president. Send Margaret Thatcher over and we will send a 550i.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

It's not quite as bad as it seems, don't forget that the UK price is VAT-inclusive - 7/47 of the UK MSRP, which close to $9000 using your USD pricing, is tax (and there's no way for the vast majority of customers (even business users) to treat the VAT paid on the car's purchase as input tax). US pricing excludes tax. In California (and Santa Clara County specifically) I would have to add sales tax of 8.25% to the MSRP. With current exchange rates that probably doesn't help the analysis either!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='456731' date='Aug 8 2007, 10:49 PM
Send Margaret Thatcher over and we will send a 550i.
Deal !

Quick someone get him to sign a contract before he changes his mind!

BTW my car had a new List price of $106,000.........I didn't pay that much as i was 2nd owner ( at 2 months old!!)
Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='456731' date='Aug 8 2007, 02:49 PM
I feel your pain but consider this. BMW may keep their prices lower here because there are still a lot of Americans who are willing to pay $60,000.00 for a Cadillac or Lincoln. Several years ago Cadillac put out a model called the Catera. It was supposed to compete with BMW. It was built on the Chevy Cavalier frame (very cheap model). The marketing phrase was "the caddy that zigs". It apparently zigged when it should have zagged, you don't see any on the road.

Finally, while we may pay less for a BMW, we very well may elect Hillary Clinton as our next president. Send Margaret Thatcher over and we will send a 550i.
Nope - The Catera was actually a European car, it was a rebadged Opel/Vauxhall Omega and it was built in Germany on the Opel production line along with the EU market vehicles. It wasn't built on a Chevy frame.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Members

well to make you guys feel better, to by that spec of 520d se in ireland your looking at $81000 !!!!!!!!!!!! yes you
heard me.
and the 550! m sport some were in and around the $144000 mark . yes im serious lol.

Quick Reply: US E60 Prices v UK