E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

US car in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The British are the only Europeans to drive on the wrong side of the road

-paasan
Old 06-07-2004, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Europe orders are now allowed for BT + Nav Pro.

BT Retrofit by replacing the CDMA module is possible, however let us know how your dealer gets on by removing the CDMA Assist module. It would have been REALLY ideal if you could order a US model with "Assist deleted", thus you have no telematics unless you add a spec'd phone (BT, or any EU specific unit, which ironically will work in the US as long as a PCS range antenanna 1900Mhz is used, which would likely be the case anyway)

If "Assist Delete" was an option today I would have my order in now. (awaiting for a 2005). I can afford to wait until most of the sw and module issues get sorted out as I still have a Z4.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Jun 7 2004, 07:11 AM
I was wondering, why would you want a u.s. spec car in europe? Do they offer more power? I know i wouldn't want to be driving a euro spec carhere. Especially since it would be like driving sideways. Is there an advantage?? Price??
In addition to the point UltraPLanet makes about someday relocating back the US (which requires it pass a US inspection), theres also the question of price. The equivilent car of what I currently have on order is probably $10K more if I were to buy direct from a German dealer.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Been checking out this site for the last week or so and decided to register and post when I saw this thread.

Icy- In regards to your pricing from a German dealership, it depends. If you buy directly from the dealership yes, however, if you order european spec through the same program you did your US spec you can save substanially.

I'm contemplating the purchase of one right now because it's almost too good to pass up. Especially for this great of a car.

If I ever return to the US, then I'll sell or trade in for US specs.

Just more information for you.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Jun 7 2004, 10:55 AM
Been checking out this site for the last week or so and decided to register and post when I saw this thread.

Icy- In regards to your pricing from a German dealership, it depends. If you buy directly from the dealership yes, however, if you order european spec through the same program you did your US spec you can save substanially.

I'm contemplating the purchase of one right now because it's almost too good to pass up. Especially for this great of a car.

If I ever return to the US, then I'll sell or trade in for US specs.

Just more information for you.
Hmmmm. The Pentagon dealer I went through told me it was not possible to order a Euro spec vehicle. I'll ask again. It wouldn't be the first time they gave me bogus info.

What are you looking at getting?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by spec33' date='Jun 7 2004, 01:14 AM
Icy,
Most of the issue that you have listed I have already been working with my dealer. These are the issues that I am tring to work:

Q Will US BMW phone work in Germany.
A No US spec cars have a module for CDMA, Germany uses GSM

Q Can the modules be changes, If so what is to cost?
A Yes, They are using my car as a test car to change the modules in the next week or so, When the upgrade my software. The price I hope is free.

Q Can you get Bluetooth with NAV PRO
A No, atleast not until September when the problem is suppose to be fixed.

Q Can Confort Seats be added as retrofit, If so what is the cost?
A Never been done before they are checking with the factory

Q If I can't get the confort seats can I still get the head rest?
A Yes, 280 Euro ($336.00) a set

Q Why can't I turn off my radio?
A ?????? maybe software upgrade will fix it.

Q When my key is turned off my sun roof will not move. Manual says it should.
A ?????? maybe software upgrade will fix it.

You dealer is incorrect about the PDC atleast, in my case. I have the EURO plates and have no problem with PDC (front or back). However I did have the dealer put the plates on so maybe they adjusted the PDC when they put my plates on.

I have not talked to him about the DVD/TV module but as I see it is working in some BMW's it will be my next question.
Spec33,

Waiting eagerly to see how you do with your phone.

Too bad about the radio issue. First time I heard about that one.

One other thing I thought of. I'm told the NAV does NOT come with a DVD of Europe (or the US for that matter). Further, the BMW accessories catalog shows this as a 279 EURO add-on from the dealer. PN: 65 90 0 390 306.

I'm a little miffed that we're going to spend $50K (and change) $1700 of which is on the DVD NAV system and not be able to NAV.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributors

Just got home and saw all the threads posted. Wow, people are interested. A trip is deffinetly in order after we all receive delivery.
I have a GPRS phone from 02. I just came back TDy from Idaho and it worked fine there so I am hoping there is a way they can make our phones work here.
You can buy a euro spec car here but you will probably not get the discounts like the no tax from the States unless you have a VAT form. Even then I am not sure if they would take it.
My dealer told me to get the wide plates because it looks better and here it is less obvious of being American since there are people who do not like us here.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Contributors

I was quoted ?225 for the Euro DVD but my dealer is offering some compromises if I can make a copy of it. I am pretty good at copying things. That is all I am saying.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

When you order the Pro Nav the DVD is included according to the sales brochure/pricelist that I saw. However I dunno if this also applies for Bus Nav.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Contributors

According to my dealer we have to pay for it. I guess that is a difference with Germany. I have a challenge to copy it though and will do my best to make it work. I just wonder if the DVD system can read DVD+/-R's?

Quick Reply: US car in Europe?