E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

URGENT! What would you pay for this E60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

The dealership will probably charge a fixed administration or documentation fee.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Members

I paid 42.5K for my '08 550i: perfect color combo (Deep Sea Blue Metallic w/ beige) and manual trans (that was a must), 26K mikes. I was looking for a while. The only thing I miss on it is the iPod adapter. It also needed tires (make sure you check yours). HUD, Night vision, lane departure, etc. would have been a cool bonus, but are not on the car. I compared it to other cars for sale in the Seattle area and it was a good deal FOR THE RIGHT CAR. That was nearly 4 months ago, and I bet I could get it for 38-40K now (I still look and compare deals on the internet/Craigslist)--but none of the comparisons are the color, manual, low miles, right year, etc. So I am still very happy with my purchase.

Good luck--the other responses have great input also.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
there are a lot of things that go into used car prices that you'll never know. the FEW 550i's that are under 35k may have made 17 trips to the dealer that you probably will never know about, and you might inherit a lemon thinking it is the best deal. also carfax doesn't show everything. just because someone drives through their garage when they are drunk doesn't mean they call their insurance and tell them, but instead fix it on their own and it never shows up under a history report. paint chips, door dings, etc. other things you *don't* always see until after you purchase your car affect the sticker price on a used car. don't expect a salesman to be truthful about any of that stuff either.

i do think 40k sounds about right though. you could probably get a 550i in the US somewhere for under 35k and it be a good deal. factor in a one-way plane ticket, hotel, food, etc., plus potentially driving it back and out of it's factory warranty from the extra miles--all worth a cost too, not to mention the hassle. if you can find a good deal locally, it's probably better than a great deal on the other side of the country. if you've got 10k or so for a down payment, even better since you wipe out the inherited interest expense from the cost increase.

as a side note, if you like deep green metallic, you can find some excellent deals. those seem to consistently be the lowest priced used BMWs on the market.
Thats so true, it takes less green for green.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Members

If the car is in manual, then 42k sounds about right. If it's automatic then you can probably get it for 40-41k.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2008

So tried negotiating with them yesterday to no avail. I started at $40k, they said they had $42k into the car. Initially they said "used car pricing is pretty fixed compared to buying a new car", I almost laughed. I'd give them $42, but they didn't openly accept it. He took my name and number and told me he'd call me today, so we'll see. Overall they seemed very uninterested in negotiating. I'd love to get this car, but at this point I am discouraged, we'll see.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vikingshelmut
So tried negotiating with them yesterday to no avail. I started at $40k, they said they had $42k into the car. Initially they said "used car pricing is pretty fixed compared to buying a new car", I almost laughed. I'd give them $42, but they didn't openly accept it. He took my name and number and told me he'd call me today, so we'll see. Overall they seemed very uninterested in negotiating. I'd love to get this car, but at this point I am discouraged, we'll see.
Well they are right. They certainly do not make as much from used cars as they do from new ones. People will give you tips on buying all day, saying you can negotiate whatever you want. It really is not true, I do not understand why these people are so insistive sometimes. They probably didnt even negotiate on their own car. 5k is a LOT to ask a dealer to drop on a used car. 1k-2k max. My car was listed at 29.8k, i got them to 29k and i thought that was an excellent result.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tuffluck
Well they are right. They certainly do not make as much from used cars as they do from new ones. People will give you tips on buying all day, saying you can negotiate whatever you want. It really is not true, I do not understand why these people are so insistive sometimes. They probably didnt even negotiate on their own car. 5k is a LOT to ask a dealer to drop on a used car. 1k-2k max. My car was listed at 29.8k, i got them to 29k and i thought that was an excellent result.
What the dealer was referring to was not that the asking price has little wiggle room, but that the base price for a used car was more consistent than a base price for a new car.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

Car dealerships are more likely to negotiate near the end of the month. If you really want this car and they were considering selling it for $42k, I would walk in around September the 28th and tell them $41,500 is your final offer. Then walk out, if they accept, cool, if not, there is more deals out there! Be assertive! Good luck and let us know what happens! Brad
Old 09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Too Much!!! Shop Around!! There is a guy on here selling the same model for LESS!!!! I think he said 40k Neg....
Old 09-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Members

I worked for dealership before and i am a car wholesaler right now ... ask them for the service record and the invocie. combine the price together if u can get it below invoice $500 it is a good deal already. Usually only huge dealer will do below invoice unless the car stay in the lot for a long long time. But beware of this, they will deal with their own service department and charge a lot to get the smog and safety done. Hope this will help

Quick Reply: URGENT! What would you pay for this E60?