E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent - Truck Won't Close!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Metalic Gray, Premium Package

2004 525i, and this afternoon all of a sudden the truck lid wouldn't open, no matter using remote control, key into the trunk key hole, or manual release button next to driver seat, or try to press the handle at the trunk lid. Turning the key in the trunk key hole gives nearly no sense of resistance.

Tonight I inserted the key into the trunk lid key hole, turned counter clock wise by 45~90 degrees (all the way I can go counter clock wise) and stayed a few seconds (someone told me this way the car allows manual release somehow), and then I turn the key clock wise as I would usually do to open the trunk using a key. Trunk lid opened, but now it would not close no matter. Now turning the key still gives me nearly no sense of resistance.

Any clue what is going on? Does this sound a mechanical problem, or electrical? Trying to have some sense before going to a mechanic tomorrow morning.

Also, noticed last few days when trunk lid opens up less than 30~40 degrees, the bulbs in the truck are bright, but then at about 40 degrees or more the bulb (at the center back of lid) will dim to about half of the brightness. Never noticed this before. Is this related to the trunk lid failure somehow?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

My vote goes to wiring harness. My guess is that there is a broken wire(s) somewhere near the hinges.
Especially E61s have had this kind of problems with their trunk lids, but I've read about it happening to sedans also.

- Antti -
Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

maybe unplug the electrical connection to the trunk latch to see if the latch itself will operate?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Metalic Gray, Premium Package

Went to a shop today. Turned out the wires in the right side of the truck cover were frailed and broke. The light bulbs with bright and dim light depending on trunck lid position is due to exposured wires touching each other according to the mechanics.

BMW wiring with harness will cost $300+, plus labor, will cost me total of $500+. Asked the mechanic just repair the damage (basically cut and splice...). Total cost out of door $175. Still not cheap given it should not really take 2 hours time in total including diagnose.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BlueHorse
Went to a shop today. Turned out the wires in the right side of the truck cover were frailed and broke. The light bulbs with bright and dim light depending on trunck lid position is due to exposured wires touching each other according to the mechanics.

BMW wiring with harness will cost $300+, plus labor, will cost me total of $500+. Asked the mechanic just repair the damage (basically cut and splice...). Total cost out of door $175. Still not cheap given it should not really take 2 hours time in total including diagnose.
If at all possible could you take a picture of the area where the wires became frayed. Might be a good idea to insulate or protect that wiring in (newer) e60s to pro-actively prevent this problem. Glad you were able to get it fixed - too bad it had to happen at all