E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upset

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

This is my first post on this site and I'm sorry its a whinning post:

I had my tires checked out by my local BMW dealership a couple of weeks ago because three of them were repeatedly losing air ( FTM correctly going off ). Now in the past three days this has happened twice. My dealership says that its the weather changes do this but what I don't understand is why does the weather only affect 3 tires.

Tires lose about 10-15 psi.

This is getting very upsetting. I can't leave my clinic every other day to have this thing looked at. I was thinking of getting my wife a new X5 but now I am really double minded. A couple of my friends who were thimking of buying a BMW are not looking at this favorably.

Sorry I'm whinning but what else can I do.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Weather changes? That's a pretty weak excuse that I really find hard to believe. What kind of tires? Are they run flats? And how many miles do you have on them? I would bring the car to a reputable tire dealer and get them to look over the tires, making sure you don't have nails or some other puncture that is allowing slow leaks.

Between my 5 and my wifes X5, we've never experienced anything like this.

And welcome to our little corner of the web!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by juventus' post='214392' date='Dec 22 2005, 02:24 PM

I had my tires checked out by my local BMW dealership a couple of weeks ago because three of them were repeatedly losing air ( FTM correctly going off ). Now in the past three days this has happened twice. My dealership says that its the weather changes do this but what I don't understand is why does the weather only affect 3 tires.

This is getting very upsetting. I can't leave my clinic every other day to have this thing looked at. I was thinking of getting my wife a new X5 but now I am really double minded. A couple of my friends who were thimking of buying a BMW are not looking at this favorably.

This isn't right! Please give us some more details on the car, especially wheels and tyres...

Tyre pressures do change with the temperature but as you say they are all affected equally, thus not triggering the FTM.

My guess is that you have some form of leak with the rims not sealing correctly with the tyre...

This isn't a standard BMW 'feature' so it shouldn't put your friends off!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sorry to hear of your troubles but rest assured that this isn't normal and shouldn't cause you to reconsider the X5 or any other BMW.

You either have some punctures or some rim leaks. Is this happening on the factory tires/wheels or is this something you had done?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by colejl' post='214398

This isn't right! Please give us some more details on the car, especially wheels and tyres...

Tyre pressures do change with the temperature but as you say they are all affected equally, thus not triggering the FTM.

My guess is that you have some form of leak with the rims not sealing correctly with the tyre...

This isn't a standard BMW 'feature' so it shouldn't put your friends off!
[/quote]
Amen. You would do well to go back to your dealer armed with the knowledge that what you are experiencing should not be occurring and insisting, to a different SA (let the new SA know about your prior SA experience), on a fix. In this regard, there could be a misunderstanding because no SA should indicate that nothinig is wrong under the circumstances. If they refuse service, after you go so far as speaking with the Service Manager, then go to another dealer. The process should end there, but post back if it doesn't.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='214402
Originally Posted by juventus' post='214392' date='Dec 22 2005, 02:24 PM
Amen. You would do well to go back to your dealer armed with the knowledge that what you are experiencing should not be occurring and insisting, to a different SA (let the new SA know about your prior SA experience), on a fix. In this regard, there could be a misunderstanding because no SA should indicate that nothinig is wrong under the circumstances. If they refuse service, after you go so far as speaking with the Service Manager, then go to another dealer. The process should end there, but post back if it doesn't.
[/quote]
Indeed. I would suggest a new set of Dunlops (yuk) under warranty!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

I have factory fitted Contitouring 225/50 R17 94v cv95. These are not run-flats. Don't have a clue what 94v and cv95 mean.

My ride is a 2006 525i and I have a little over 11000 miles. I live in Central / South-East Arkansas and would hardly call the weather here as severe.

And I never mess around with the car and don't let any one else, apart from the BMW dearership, touch it.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by juventus' post='214407' date='Dec 22 2005, 09:48 AM
I have factory fitted Contitouring 225/50 R17 94v cv95. Don't have a clue what 94v and cv95 mean.

My ride is a 2006 525i and I have a little over 11000 miles. I live in Central / South-East Arkansas and would hardly call the weather here as severe.

And I never mess around with the car and don't let any one else, apart from the BMW dearership, touch it.
Well, you just said what I was going to note: Arkansas is hardly frigid. Also, nobody has mentioned to have your valves/stems checked. What position is that (steady) 4th tire, and is there some reason it may have been shielded from anything (curbing, irate employees, etc.)?

This should be a no-brainer, but it sounds as though your dealer is simply playing that part.

Go to a reliable tire outlet, preferably one that handles Continentals and have them rotated and checked.

Good luck, keep us posted. And you're not whining.

Ray Hull
Old 12-22-2005, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Your dealer is smoking something ... here in Canada, we experience temperature changes of 20c degree over two days and my Dunlop RF keep their psi ...
Old 12-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Members

Juventus, I'd love to help but I'm an Inter fan, so you're on you own. LOL.

Quick Reply: Upset