E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

upper front strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 White 530xi

I recently had both off my front struts replaced by my indy to fix a blown left strut. I know he used BMW parts, struts, bump stops, and dust covers. A fellow member asked me if he also replaced the upper strut mounts, and I don't think that he did since they were not listed on the reciept and we did not discuss them. I would like to know if it common practice to always replace these upper strut mounts whenever new struts are being installed? I would hate to have spent all that money and my indy missed something. Thanks Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I replaced my shocks and springs approximately 8 months ago while using the oem upper shock mounts. They looked fine and no problems to this day. There's really no need to replace these unless it's damaged, such as a loose bearing with a lot of play. But by now you'd have notice this if this was the case. You should be fine.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

What are the signs or symptoms of front strut damage? I have a clunking noise from my drivers side tyre that only occurs when I go over bumps... It's bee to the dealer several times with no explanation -- they've replaced the bushings and the tie rod and it still persists.... Could this be the strut? At what mileage did you guys change your shocks and your struts? I have 82K on mine - perhaps thats what it is......
Old 01-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Members

Look at my recent post - front end noisy. I went thru lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links, then the front struts to finally cure the front end noise that sounded like the front end of car was falling off! Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525XI silver/grey

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='1087795' date='Jan 10 2010, 06:33 PM
What are the signs or symptoms of front strut damage? I have a clunking noise from my drivers side tyre that only occurs when I go over bumps... It's bee to the dealer several times with no explanation -- they've replaced the bushings and the tie rod and it still persists.... Could this be the strut? At what mileage did you guys change your shocks and your struts? I have 82K on mine - perhaps thats what it is......
Strut top bearing caps make a very distinct noise when their faulty. When you hit a bump/pothole, you will hear a single clunk/click sound coming from the faulty side.

I have experienced this with my older cars and remidied the issue more than once by replaceing the top bearing cap.

They can be expensive but takes care of the problem. Very easy to replace. Remove dust cap from top of strut, remove 3 bolts while car on ground. Note proper position, usually an arrow, and replace.

There is a bearing in top bearing cap and they move with the strut assembly.

I shop RockAuto.com for cheap prices.

2006 525XI
SACHS Part # 802186
Front Left
Front Right
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days

$38.79
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Members

silver525xi,

I am assuming $38.79 is each side, but I want to be more clear as to what is involved in replacing these parts. Please tell me the struts themselves don't have to removed in order to replace these parts. Thanks for any help, as I think I might go ahead a replace them. Chris
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Members

I spoke with a local BMW dealership and they indicated that they normally recommend repacing the upper strut mounts, especially with a higher mileage car (mine has 88,xxx miles), when replacing the front struts. I also looked at the oem website, and it does look like the strut must be removed to replace the upper strut mount. I hope my indy didn't miss this and have to spend more time and money. The BMW dealership sited that the upper strut mount is metal and rubber with a bearing that wears out? Anyone with experience with this, please lend some insight. Chris
Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525XI silver/grey

Originally Posted by covinsky' post='1088931' date='Jan 12 2010, 09:50 AM
I spoke with a local BMW dealership and they indicated that they normally recommend repacing the upper strut mounts, especially with a higher mileage car (mine has 88,xxx miles), when replacing the front struts. I also looked at the oem website, and it does look like the strut must be removed to replace the upper strut mount. I hope my indy didn't miss this and have to spend more time and money. The BMW dealership sited that the upper strut mount is metal and rubber with a bearing that wears out? Anyone with experience with this, please lend some insight. Chris
Oop's I'm in error. Yes, you must remove the strut by compressing the spring load and disconnecting from the top first. There are three bolts and then the bottom attached to the lower control arm. make scratch marks on the lower section as you want to put the bottom back in the same position. Camber/Toe issues not to worry.

Make sure to partially compress the spring before removal as you ned clearance room to pull the strut away from the vehicle. If you never compressed a spring before it can be a bit challenging the first time. Rent or purchase the necessay tool.

After removal from vehicle, simply compress the spring on the floor until load is removed from the top cap. Replace cap bearing and tighten bolts and insert strut back into vehicle, bottom first and begin to release spring load. Be prepared to line up the strut as when load is removed the unit extends and you basically stear the top piston up into the holes.