E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Upgraded to V32 but STILL no mp3

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I would like to add to the OP that the first time I burned an MP3 "CD" I had the same error message. Come to find out, I had inadvertently burned a DVD instead of a CD. I repeated the procedure using a CD and then it worked. I am not saying that this is what you did, but you might want to check just to be sure. G/L
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530D Touring in metallic grey with black leather and brushed silver trim - Msport alloys

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1028806' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:58 PM
I would like to add to the OP that the first time I burned an MP3 "CD" I had the same error message. Come to find out, I had inadvertently burned a DVD instead of a CD. I repeated the procedure using a CD and then it worked. I am not saying that this is what you did, but you might want to check just to be sure. G/L
Thanks for the tip. CD burn was definitely good as it now plays OK. Whatever the problem was, it was in the upgrade procedure or something preventing the car from accepting it. I'll never know as the tech is unlikely to tell me "Oh, I was doing this or that wrong the whole time!"

Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tripitaka' post='1029075' date='Oct 10 2009, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the tip. CD burn was definitely good as it now plays OK. Whatever the problem was, it was in the upgrade procedure or something preventing the car from accepting it. I'll never know as the tech is unlikely to tell me "Oh, I was doing this or that wrong the whole time!"

Thanks again.

Good to hear its sorted! I do think its just a training issue as I had the same issue, they even claimed it was my cd when i knew the cd worked...
Old 10-10-2009, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

quick tip to any one else YOU DONT NEED mp3 for the dension gateway to work it will just show up as track numbers, to get track names / playlists you need the ipod programming
Old 10-10-2009, 04:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530D Touring in metallic grey with black leather and brushed silver trim - Msport alloys

Originally Posted by russdx' post='1029183' date='Oct 10 2009, 01:16 PM
quick tip to any one else YOU DONT NEED mp3 for the dension gateway to work it will just show up as track numbers, to get track names / playlists you need the ipod programming
With respect, I couldn't get ANYTHING to work without programming. Here are my test results:

No GW500 installed - CDC installed: Only audio CD's work in dash player and CDC. MP3 disk results in "unknown audio format".
GW500 installed (switch in bypass position) - CDC installed: Only audio CD's work in dash player and CDC. MP3 disk results in "unknown audio format".
GW500 installed (switch in GW500 position) - CDC installed: GW500 and CDC not seen by system. Any selection of CD results in "unknown audio format".
GW500 installed (switch in GW500 position) - No CDC installed: GW500 not seen by system. Any selection of CD results in "unknown audio format".
GW500 installed (switch in bypass position) - No CDC installed: GW500 not seen by system. Any selection of CD results in "unknown audio format".

All confirmed wired correctly and bypass switches tried in alternate configurations per test.

So, given that info, I DID need MP3 in order to get my CCC to even see the GW500. I read all the stuff about not needing MP3 posted earlier in the thread but in my case, it simply didn't work. I was told that on the progman system (now, at least) that "KMP3" and "IPOD" retrofits are the same option choice on the system.

Given the extra cost involved (?200 in my case) on TOP of the cost of the GW500, I would recommend people to think carefully if they cannot play an MP3 in the in-dash player.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Im sure I may be beating a dead horse here, but do all e60s support mp3 playback after the update in software? My car doesnt have nav, but has logic7... but no mp3 playback. I did have the ipod cord and update done on idrive. thanks.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aneet' post='1029214' date='Oct 10 2009, 03:49 PM
Im sure I may be beating a dead horse here, but do all e60s support mp3 playback after the update in software? My car doesnt have nav, but has logic7... but no mp3 playback. I did have the ipod cord and update done on idrive. thanks.
No, the update is separate. When the update is being prepared, the tech tells the Progman software to include additional "add ons" such as the KMP3 option and when this is done, the system assembles a software package that is then uploaded to the car.

I am told that, now at least, the IPOD and KMP3 "add-ons" are both the same option in progman so it could reasonably be assumed that they are one and the same thing. Of course, that assumption could be false.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tripitaka' post='1029219' date='Oct 10 2009, 10:53 AM
No, the update is separate. When the update is being prepared, the tech tells the Progman software to include additional "add ons" such as the KMP3 option and when this is done, the system assembles a software package that is then uploaded to the car.

I am told that, now at least, the IPOD and KMP3 "add-ons" are both the same option in progman so it could reasonably be assumed that they are one and the same thing. Of course, that assumption could be false.
Hi,

I had the CD changer already installed, bought the official BMW IPOD interface so it was straight swap as I was told it would work if you had the CD changer programmed already. It didn't and I had to have the IPOD interface switched on for it to be recognised. This however left the system still unable to play MP3 on the CCC, and ment I had to force the controller against resistance to scroll down the full list of tracks. Thought it had been coded wrong, so hoped the Dension might work better, it didn't and still had to be forced to go passed the displayed six tracks or albums listed, however the dension unit was a lot faster than the BMW one. So took the car to be programmed again, this time I finally got MP3 playback on the CCC but still had the same problem of having to force the controller against feedback to scroll down the full list of my tracks. So it is still not working as it should but will have to live with it I guess. Think it is because my car is one of the first E60 made in 2003. Bet these problems don't crop up on anything after 2006, when MP3 became the norm.

Regards,
David
Old 10-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Members

David,

If it is any consolation to you, I also have to scroll against resistance but that is the same for many functions of the CCC; I don't think it is specific to the MP3, ipod or Dension issues.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Members

tripitaka,

Would you mind telling me who you used to upgrade the software and activate mp3 ? PM me if you prefer. And how much did he charge ?

BMW want circa ?150 to update the software.

Thanks.