E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Updating firmware - chances...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 535d M e61 530d Iron Horse Sunday :-)

What are my chances that something would go wrong when I take my 2004 530d for a firmware update. It has never been updated before and has no warrenty of course...
They say it's not reccomended but I made an appointment anyway. So what do you think are my chances that something will go wrong (have to replce module or central unit..)
90% 10% :thumbsdown: or????
I don't have BT, Ipod, active drive.... Just nav pro, auto lights, xenon.
I'm really scared what will happen on monday morning when I take it to dealership for an update..
Old 06-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Nothing can go wrong, ISTA/p may lock out one of the modules because the module after repeated attemps fails to update but the update can not kill the modules, mine had one two weeks ago and it took 12 hours.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Post back on your experience Vule. I really need to get this done also after I add my Dension 500 first though!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stoic1
Post back on your experience Vule. I really need to get this done also after I add my Dension 500 first though!
Yes, I would be interested too....

I had my engine management light come on my 530i and duly took it into my dealer as thankfully it has extended warranty - it's a 55 plate.

They told me the light had been coming on and off in the back ground too and it required an oil vanos sensor, and cam and crank shaft sensors, together with a firmware update as it had never been done in the 4 years of the cars life.

The sensors were fitted, and they attempted the update - because, (I am told by the dealer,) that the vehicle has 12 or so ECU's, the computer has said that this will take 18 hours and it will be left plugged in over night.

This was done, but it timed out twice before it actually accepted the full update and took them a week and a half to get it sorted.

I just hope your update goes better than mine - thankfully I didn't have to pay a penny, but the difference in the idrive is good, and the car is all the better for it I feel.

P
Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Members

ok! everything went well! It only took 4 hours.
Now I got silver idrive screen, many new navigation options, ect... but mp3 function is NOT working. When I put mp3 disc inside cd or dvd drive it just says "Not supported format"... Car is made 09/2004 and has pro navigation and cd changer.. Is it possible to enable mp3 function somehow?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Good news/bad news. MP3 should have worked since you have navi? Or I wonder, if you had the ipod option added beforehand, would it have worked?

Burn another mp3 cd and give it another go. It can't hurt.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Members

I tried with 2 cd's.. With mp3's in the folders and without, but no luck. :thumbsdown:
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Titanium Gray 545 Sport Package

Originally Posted by stoic1
Good news/bad news. MP3 should have worked since you have navi? Or I wonder, if you had the ipod option added beforehand, would it have worked?

Burn another mp3 cd and give it another go. It can't hurt.
Interesting I can't play mp3 in my 2005 545, I thought it just didn't play them. It would be nice if I could instead of having my 6 disc CD changer full of regular CD's.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d M Sport 2006

Originally Posted by Mr BM
Yes, I would be interested too....

I had my engine management light come on my 530i and duly took it into my dealer as thankfully it has extended warranty - it's a 55 plate.

They told me the light had been coming on and off in the back ground too and it required an oil vanos sensor, and cam and crank shaft sensors, together with a firmware update as it had never been done in the 4 years of the cars life.

The sensors were fitted, and they attempted the update - because, (I am told by the dealer,) that the vehicle has 12 or so ECU's, the computer has said that this will take 18 hours and it will be left plugged in over night.

This was done, but it timed out twice before it actually accepted the full update and took them a week and a half to get it sorted.

I just hope your update goes better than mine - thankfully I didn't have to pay a penny, but the difference in the idrive is good, and the car is all the better for it I feel.

P
hiya,

can i ask u a big fat favour mate? would u plz take some pics or a short clip to show us the differences after the update? i have a 55 plate too

i would appreciate that coz it would help me deciding whether to go for the upgrade or not
Old 06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Vule
I tried with 2 cd's.. With mp3's in the folders and without, but no luck. :thumbsdown:
Bummerz

Quick Reply: Updating firmware - chances...