E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

updates...where do they come from...??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do all these updates come from and why?
the last time i had my car uploaded was last month when mark from cartronics (byfleet surrey uk) sorted some issues i had

now i was back there yesterday when mark cleared a air bag light i had on due to my fitting the paddle shift, and not disconnecting the battery ( )
and i got him to activate the aux on my idrive so i can plug in my i-pod, he did this and while he was programing her, it said there was 22 updates available.....
im sure BMW keep on issuing these so the cars that are out of warrenty, when they go into the main stealers, have to pay to receive all these "upgrades"

are they rearly needed?

thank you mark and phil for sorting out the heated rear seats also...top guys.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='772540' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:03 PM
where do all these updates come from and why?
the last time i had my car uploaded was last month when mark from cartronics (byfleet surrey uk) sorted some issues i had

now i was back there yesterday when mark cleared a air bag light i had on due to my fitting the paddle shift, and not disconnecting the battery ( )
and i got him to activate the aux on my idrive so i can plug in my i-pod, he did this and while he was programing her, it said there was 22 updates available.....
im sure BMW keep on issuing these so the cars that are out of warrenty, when they go into the main stealers, have to pay to receive all these "upgrades"

are they rearly needed?

thank you mark and phil for sorting out the heated rear seats also...top guys.
I believe you are confusing the number of modules updated (22) with the software level. It only takes ONE change in software update to impact 22 modules or even more. I keep track of all software levels and we have only had approximately 32 total major revisions since 2004 (the early models in USA came with level 10 already).
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Contributors

ok, all i know is on BMW's own machine it says "22 updates available" so what does that mean?
and all were cleared last month.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='773587' date='Jan 21 2009, 01:18 PM
ok, all i know is on BMW's own machine it says "22 updates available" so what does that mean?
and all were cleared last month.
NOT to repeat myself - much , but it refers to the software level of the individual modules out of sync with the current CIP/PROGMAN available. Have you seen a MEASURES PLAN by any chance? I have some at home and will post one or two so you can see what I am referring to. It is part of the diagnostic system (although it is changing to ISTA/P now and could appear different in newer runs). It compares your current module levels against the levels in the newest version of PROGMAN and list the modules that are not up to date. I have seen as few as 6 modules to as many as 25 that required updating between my current state and newly available PROGMAN. Often times they may be meaningless changes not having any real useful impact on your cars individual performance. But some may be key to an issue you may have or are important for BMW or for federal/state/country emmisions purposes.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Alright, here as promised is a copy of a Measures Plan and Final Report.

In this case I went from PROGMAN (CIP) 21.01.00 to 24.00.00. The total number of software revisions between the two was 8 including minor revisions.

You can see many modules were indentified as needing updating and subsequently were with the PROGMAN upgrade and reported in the Final Report.

Measures_Plan_Final_Report_April_25_07.pdf